If you can only have one hook on your lure.... Which would you have? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 04-27-2014, 09:43 PM
Official Member

Default If you can only have one hook on your lure.... Which would you have?

Let me start by saying, we haven't had an open season for Stripers in this area in at least 25 years. Last year we had a short season and a surprising number of Stripers were caught. So needless to say, my experience is limited. The powers that be decided to make some new rules for this season.

1 barbless hook...

For bait we have to use an inline barbless circle hook and for lures 1 barbless hook. Many of my plugs have 3 treble hooks, if you could only have one single hook, where would you put it? Head? Tail? Middle? Would you go larger than the factory treble?

The reason I ask is I'm used to catching fish on the middle or tail treble but I read that Stripers like to attack head first.

PS, a lot of our Striper rivers are very muddy, is there any point in even trying a lure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2014, 09:57 AM
First Mate

Default Re: If you can only have one hook on your lure.... Which would you have?

For me, it would be the tail, or maybe the middle. If the hook isn't initially taken in a head first attack, the lure will slip through the mouth and the hook will end up there, so you still have a good shot of hooking. If the fish chases down the lure from behind a hook on the tail will work, where the fish would have to engulf the whole lure to get hooked by one at the front end.

This is mostly based on an experience fishing from shore with a large single hook slug-go. I watched a striper come up on it from the side and hit just behind the hook. Felt a nice yank, but reeled back only the lure with the plastic pulled back on the hook a fair amount.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Official Member

Default Re: If you can only have one hook on your lure.... Which would you have?

I got some clarification on the rules, it's only certain rivers and only for 4 weeks, I won't be modifying any lures any time soon!