Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Boat launch with all night parking

7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Tahawus 
#1 ·
Due to the 'Rona, some of my usual plans for the season have changed. I was wondering if anyone knew of any all-night launches near Kingston/Saugerties or Coxsackie/Athens.

Sleightsburgh is now day use only and I am not sure I can get into Norrie Point.

Looking to take my son camping this weekend.

#2 ·
Give Schodack Island State Park a call I have parked there overnight. Their campground is closed but down the river across from Coxsackie is Hudson Islands State Park. It's no longer maintained as a formal campground but the sites are still there. Google earth it. Just be aware of the tide when you tie up your boat for the night. You should be able to get herring in Stockport Creek if not in the river. I camped there a few years ago and it's a nice adventure.

#4 ·
Thanks for the info....yeah, I used to shorefish Schodack quite a bit.

Yup. Hudson River Islands was one place I was considering. I've also camped at Turkey Point State Forest before, but with Sleightsburgh closed, not sure I can find a launch near it that will let me park overnight. Mills-Norrie campground is closed.

I have a 16-ft utility boat with an old 25hp motor. I don't like to go too far with it, but the good thing is it's a pretty lighweight rig with a shallow draft.

#6 ·
I've left my truck/trailer at coxsackie and Athens launches overnight for years with no issue. Either one is definitely a quick run to the camp/stockport. One time I was out camping, the police saw my truck at the launch late at night and contacted my family to make sure everything was OK. Maybe leave a note on your window just in case

#7 ·
Livng in oneonta, your not too far from catskill. I'd call local marinas in catskill and coxsakie / coeymans area. They have transient rates..... Usually 30 a day....

The river is not perfect, but pretty clear. I'm sure you can anchor overnight and not worry about logs n such. Likely can move up and down the river a good bit in the day with no issues either.

I rarely go far in the dark this time of year. But, I got a small boat with no night lighting other than your usual marker lights.

Alot of public launches are open, but no floating docks..... Expect to bring waders, extra ropes, and for some a small landing craft like a kayak possibly.

IF possible, you could bring 2 vehicles and park the boat / trailer in the thruway parking lot outside of the catskill exit near home depot / stewarts in leeds ny. Think that the town there... Then park near dutchmans landing on main st up a block or two..... I don't know catskill PD too well, and like that thought...... Not sure if they ticket trailers overnight on the street. Seen it done before though.....

I could imagine the island campsite will be somewhat patrolled for folks who aren't supposed to be camping due to the wuhan flu restrictions.

I used to camp on the island near the columbiaville tressel / claverack creek mouth.

#9 ·
Not sure if catskill bothers overnighters, but I have been out very late with no issues. I have camped north of hudson many times before, but use columbiaville tressel, or the gravel bank launch in styvesant.

FYI Dutchman's Harbor in Catskill has their floating docks out at the ramp. Not sure if germantown has their's yet. The smaller launch in germantown has their dock in though.

#10 ·
Thanks for the tips everybody. We had a pretty decent weekend. Didn't catch a lot of fish but did get a couple bigger ones, a 32 and a 36-incher. Nice little trip. River is a little different up there than where I usually go between Kingston and Poughkeepsie. Had great weather for camping. Funny thing is, the Athens launch is actually closer to my house than where I usually. I liked the shorter drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.