Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Boat Launches

Tags
boat launches
21K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  Hot Soup 
#1 ·
It seems that more public use areas are being closed due to high popularity despite the Governer’s recommendation to use them. Does anybody know if town boat launches will be open or if docks will be installed? I know marinas are mostly closed but the docks at ramps are intended to be a temporary tie off while you park. It’ll be chaotic and potentially dangerous without them. Hopefully some of you out there work for municipalities and know what’s up. Thanks!

#4 ·
Thanks for the updates. I agree that there’s going to be some issues this year. I purposely fish alone so I can socially isolate. Besides that, using the gas pump or an atm machine is likely more hazardous than a random handrail at a marina. What about the thousands of essential workers that have to carry on... business as usual, but want to spend their free time on their boat? They can’t? It’s going to be crazy with all the extra pressure on the few public ramps. It’s bad enough as it was. I hope you out there with bigger boats are still able to participate this year. It’ll be interesting to see if less boat traffic affects the catch rates.

#7 ·
So let me understand this fully.. boat launches are closed? When we go fishing to put food on the table? I though food was essential? What about all the trout stream parking lots that ppl park at... multiple cars.. multiple ppl.. help me understand? What’s next can’t go shoot a deer because they are social? this coronavirus can be transmitted to animals..

#8 ·
Those kids with lemonade stands need to sell gas cans in the marinas this year.....

Did alot of fishing because I had a slip last year....... Catskill Bliss Marina, the grey 16ft Tracker deep V tiller arm rowboat with a canopy.

Wasn't my most successful striper season, but it was one my favorite..... Finally got a name for the boat. Gamblin's Cheaper. I go to Atlantic city a few times a year just to fish.......

Might be a good year to buy a 3hp outboard for the canoe........ A real good one......

Hudson's tide might be too much for pedal kayaks...... Atleast for my big butt.

#9 ·
Also, almost all privately owned campgrounds will be opening very soon... with multiple patrons congregating within a certain sq/ft of each other... being on a boat on open water is a factor? these politicians have no idea how upstate New York operates.. Cuomo’s only concern is about NYC he needs to open up launches Newburgh north end of story!

#10 ·
I just read that launches are off limits. May 1st they might be available again. I guess we can thank the nyc people for congregating In the parks and setting the precedent for upstate. I’m not sure how being alone on your boat doesn’t qualify as social distancing? I can see how a charter would violate the order but, not the average person. Now the banks of the Hudson are going to look like the Salmon River in October. Just remember, one fishing rod length apart (like the latest dec email update suggested) is better than being anchored 30’ from shore and 200’ away from the next boat! Ridiculous. What’s worse boat launches and marinas or fast food restaurants serving thousands?

#11 ·
Bullshit...I work nights delivering essentials to the City & Island, like so many others...I get a slip during striper season so I can finish up & jump on the boat for a couple hours of fishing..Now I need to go to the house, hook the boat & be elbow to elbow at the launch?? These people have their collective heads up their asses..I am responsible for my safety, let me take the risk at the uncrowded marina fishing with my Son..It's a powerplay..half the folks at the shop had the worst flu of their lives in Dec - Jan, & lots of folks I've talked to also..I didn't get it..Lucky me so far...Life is a calculated risk..We're watching our Country crash & burn for something that is bad, but shouldn't shut the whole operation down...IMHP, not a Doc, but an American...

#12 ·
So for the record the Executive Order stated golf courses along with marinas and launches are not "Essential Businesses". That means that marinas and launches operating as a business can only provide service to law enforcement and commercial boating.

It doesn't mean that unattended launches are closed although I'm sure we will see some closed by whoever is responsible for them (town, county etc.). If anyone has a private launch or access to one they will be able to launch. Anyone with a small enough boat to launch by hand can launch as well.

#13 ·
I sent a letter to my local assemblyman complaining about this crap. I did get a message from a friend that his buddy was called by the Coeyman's marina to come get his boat. BUT....think...if your boat gets in this week and they really close the marinas...than they cannot expect you to take them out...because the marina's are shut down.

#19 ·
can I still launch my 10 ft 10 hp boat. I know the docks aren't in
Yes

So for the record the Executive Order stated golf courses along with marinas and launches are not "Essential Businesses". That means that marinas and launches operating as a business can only provide service to law enforcement and commercial boating.

It doesn't mean that unattended launches are closed although I'm sure we will see some closed by whoever is responsible for them (town, county etc.). If anyone has a private launch or access to one they will be able to launch. Anyone with a small enough boat to launch by hand can launch as well.

#26 ·
It makes no sense why they closed newburgh launch but it's still open for shore fishing. You cant launch your boat and social distance yourself out in the water but hey you can hang around the parking lot, on shore, smoke a fattie and cough on eachother. Haha is mikey's launch still open in wappingers?

#27 ·
If you’re by yourself in a kayak or by yourself in a yacht, what’s the difference? They should fine the dock rats that fish off them and get in the way. One person boating/fishing shouldn’t be an issue. I guess it’s easier to enforce? I’d write a letter to someone but by the time it got there and they actually read it, phase 1 of this covid crap will be over. 2weeks left until the closures are lifted.

#30 ·
Hey Doc, I completely agree that folks should be calling their elected officials as well as their regional DEC fisheries folks to complain about this mess.

However, unless you're commercial fishing, a fishing boat is considered a recreational vessel, so I don't think your last statement holds water (pun intended).

This sucks, no doubt. I hope to get out on Sunday for a shakedown run, tight lines!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.