Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2020 HERRING TRACKING REPORTs

28K views 45 replies 14 participants last post by  Jumpingjoe180 
#1 ·
We can use this thread to track Herring movements up the river.

:icon_thelmutsalute:

Let us know when you start seeing them ... General location or county is fine, no need to give up your specific honey holes.

Thank you!

#8 ·
Catskill area I had no luck casting a stoolie in a creek. I wasn't trying to net, but using it to catch a striper I saw. The 24 incher or so spit the hook before I could grab him. Didn't have a net.

A kid who regulars that spot had herring chase a stoolie. He had luck with catching stripers on them. 18-24" range.

The usual suspects of boats I see often where in the good spot in the catskill doing their thing..... Thery would be using bloodworms if they weren't successful. So, I am assuming they're there too.

Also, germantown and catskill parks and launches are not blocked. However, no floating docks. Bring a buddy n waders... Boats were going in and out without being hassled by taurus' with spot lights going by....... This was catskill.

Going to try tuesday with the boat, maybe pedal kayak the creek..... Chocolate milk will probably go on till saturday.

#11 ·
The river is dirty and cold...no sun...usually need a little sun and 2' water clarity to jig from the river. My experience at least. I'm usually in the area from Albany to Troy. I've seen it where they seem to disappear from the creek but I'm pretty sure they're in there. Get the rig deep. Bounce the bottom. You may lose a couple rigs but you'll quickly find out where the garbage is on the bottom. Good luck

#18 ·
We fished Marlboro yesterday from 9am to 7pm....probably the coldest day I have ever fished with a nasty West wind. There were plenty of fish traveling below 20 feet and lots of big ones too but they had very little interest in feeding. We ended up with two 24" fish....nice, fat and fresh looking. The fish frequently cane up to our worms but wouldnt take em. I suspect these early fish are fixated on herring and chasine them North so they are less interested in worms. There were clouds of herring. Water temp as 48.5. Back out Fri after the nasty weather moves on.

#20 ·
I kinda wish we had some herring because I'm pretty sure that is what these early fish are fixated on and feeding on as opposed to blood worms but we had none....we say LOTS of clouds of herring heading north in the main channel though with Stripers clearly seen on down imaging behind them.

#24 ·
Hit the catskill from shore with a sabiki. Didn't get one. The usual suspects in the boats were getting herring in the hole....

Best herring fishermen of the day were the osprey... Every 5 or 10 minutes one was flying overhead with a loaded bomb fuselage........

I smile every time I see one with a herring. Osprey all business and the herring is pissed!

#32 ·
Herring were next to impossible on a sabiki today. Bethlehem to Albany tried my usually productive areas. The water is warming up though, thanks to the floating dirt. The sun was nice and the wind was less than yesterday so, at least it was pleasant. Lots of people trying a stoolie on the dock when I packed it up for the day. Didn’t see any in the nets though.

#33 ·
The usual places in the catskill have been hard to get herring. I've had zero luck..... IF you give up riverview marina in catskill has live and dead fresh herring..... The river basin shop is closed for the year.......

Going to work on herring good tomorrow....... Roe jan, the catskill creek mouth with casting a sabiki and jigging / bouncing the bottom, and going right u to 9W with the kayak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.