Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Trolling tips

Tags
tips trolling
5K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Cheffin 
#1 ·
Last season I ended it at norrie point drifting worms. I noticed alot of people trolling. And trolling with the line hitting stuff, like bass maybe........

I picked up some jet divers 20,30,40 and 50ft. I also got some shallow 6ft and deep 20ft lures. Some sebiles and mostly challengers. 4.5" ones, not chubby like herring, but slender. Typical of salmon in the lakes. Purple / white, green/orange/yellow tiger stripe, silver/white, and orange......

Got a decent sonar for the boat a helix 7 with SI.

Is the plan to search where they are in the channel and just run that deep. And advice on speed, or what tide to target. OR is it a time of day. I am guessing outgoing tide is better, because they heading back to the ocean.

Is there an advised speed. Do you focus going against the tide. I have seen some boats troll back up the river, then drift worms or eels back down their targeted area.

Ill be mostly in catskill, so I will be targeting the albany area fish leaving.

Although not a bass. I was excited to catch a 16" or so smallmouth leaving the creek mouth the other day. I am still bottom fishing, but I troll until I get to when I anchor.

I have no down riggers and really do not plan on using them.

I have a small tin boat with adjustable rod holders. I can put either the 20hp or a good 6hp on it, if the 20 idles too fast. I can easily do 2mph on idle with the 20hp 4 stroke. I also have (2) side planer boards. The yellow ones. They worked good in a adk lake last summer.

See less See more
#2 ·
Most guys troll with F-18 rapalas either off riggers or Lead Core. Usually 15 to 20 feet down is the sweet spot. If you are in the main Channel you will see Fish deep on the bottom, in fact that is where most of your marks will be, but I have never gotten those fish to bite .focus in the top 20 to 25 feet when you see that going on as usually there's fish up high you're just not marking as many because your cone is not as wide on the sonar. Let the action of your bait dictate your speed but I usually end up doing 1.8 to 2 miles an hour into the tide and around 4 miles an hour with it. Hope this helps

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.