Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Boat Launches

Tags
boat launches
21K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  Hot Soup 
#1 ·
It seems that more public use areas are being closed due to high popularity despite the Governer’s recommendation to use them. Does anybody know if town boat launches will be open or if docks will be installed? I know marinas are mostly closed but the docks at ramps are intended to be a temporary tie off while you park. It’ll be chaotic and potentially dangerous without them. Hopefully some of you out there work for municipalities and know what’s up. Thanks!

#36 ·
Keep Emails going to your town supervisor, county executives, and whoever else has an email contact listed on public government sites. Their hands are tied but they represent us. They’re supposed to anyway.Let them know you’re position. You have nothing to lose by writing them. The closure is based on the assumption that boaters will need gas,parts,and whatever else they can think of as being points of potential contact. The governor’s of quite a few states are all doing the same thing as Cuomo. Initially in Michigan they were allowed to boat/fish if they owned the vessel and the other passengers lived with the owner. This has since been revoked and all use has been terminated. I don’t think they’re allowed to mow their lawns there.If you’ve got a way to launch on private land then I’m sure you’ll be fine but write an email or letter anyway. No one wants to catch this virus and I’m sure by now we know how to be safe while responsibly using our boats. Btw...Ogdensburgh on the st Lawrence is trying to fight the governors executive order citing common sense.

#47 ·
As of Saturday -

"Marinas, boatyards, and recreational marine manufacturers, for ongoing marina operations and boat repair/maintenance, where such facilities adhere to strict social distancing and sanitization protocols. Use of such sites for the purposes of personal use or operation of boats or other watercraft is permissible, provided that no establishment offer chartered watercraft services or rentals. Restaurant activity at such sites are limited to take-out or delivery only.”

#48 ·
Received an email from Jessica Best at New Paltz DEC (she runs the Cooperative Angler Program) stating that the ban on launches by DEC and NYS Parks has been lifted. I went on DEC's website to the pages listing the boat launches by county and the yellow box saying they are closed is no longer there. It does appear however that members of different households cannot occupy the same boat. Can someone else please confirm this information?
Thanks Jessica, you are the best.

#51 ·
This is from the email received from DEC. "Do not share a car, boat, canoe, or kayak with people not in your household while traveling to fishing or boating sites. Anglers fishing from boats should always be able to maintain at least six feet of distance between one another. For more information about the benefits of being outdoors safely and responsibly, go to DEC's website: https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/119881.html. "

#56 ·
DISTANCING. This is on dec website
FISH LOCAL

Stay close to home. Keep your fishing trip short. Avoid high-traffic destinations.
BE SAFE
Avoid crowds and groups. Keep a distance of 6 feet or more from others. When fishing from a boat, make sure it's large enough so persons on board are at least 6 feet from one another.
STAY HOME
If you're not feeling well, stay home. Anyone 70 and older or with a compromised immune system should postpone their trip.
BE ADAPTIVE

For alternative fishing locations visit
Move quickly through parking lots and paths. If crowded, choose a different fishing location, or time to visit.
https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/7749.htm I

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.