Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Bow to the Cow...... Yank to the Skank...

Tags
bow cow skank yank
3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  BUB 
#1 ·
I never feel I do it right, even when I land a fish I intend to catch......

When do you respond to the nibbles on your line. You wait for the live liner to run.

When do you reset your presentation when you feel it's lesser fish messing with your bait?

This applies to chunk and live herring.... Let's assume spinning reels with live liner dual drags.... Is it best to not use the live liner on chunk and only use it for live? Also, how sensitive do you set it.

Got tons of nibbles, but not hits past few days. Sometimes it's town apart, sometime the chunk looks unharmed......... I know last night near the pilings, that was probably Small or large mouths....

I have been having trouble with herring past week. So, I have been buying dead bait at the local marina. Would you work the sabiki / stoolie harder? Or, just go out with the lesser of bait?

#2 ·
When it comes to chunk.. NEVER assume anything. There havnt been that many times that I've have a smashing "run". I have caught the majority of my chunk stripers on little nibbles. Fish it exactly how you would with a worm for small fish and set the hook right when you feel it. This of course requires J hooks. I leave the bait runner on in case of a run, but flip it off and set the hook for nibbles.

Fishing live, maybe check it periodically if its not moving just to make sure you're still baited. Other than that, I'd leave it be. I run mine on 6/0-7/0 circles and have the baitrunner set just enough to keep the tide from pulling line out. Let it run for a few seconds and click it over.

Bait, idk man. Maybe you're just missing them. I've been out daily where you're fishing and have had no problem at all scapping. I wish there was more constructive that I could say. Just keep at it and make sure you're not spooking them before they get to your scap net.

Feel free to pm me if you have questions. I'm by no means a pro, but I do fairly well. Hope your situation improves. Tight lines!

#4 ·
Some guys swear by using circles with chunk, but it doesn't make sense to me if its a situation where they're not running with it. It renders the design ineffective. The 41.5" I caught this morning tapped my chunk with the force of a white perch. No run. Just taps.

Deep enough to keep it on the hook but have some of the point and barb out.

#5 ·
Change of hook helped....... Had some bait holers on snells laying around from my early days inlet fishing..... Cut the snell and put them on a slider.

Whats better the bent eye or straight one..... I used the bent ones and just tied a blood knot. Sometimes my snells I tie come loose unless i glue the knot.

#6 ·
I use pre-rigged36' fin strike baitholders 7/0 for my chunk. Any snelled J should be fine though.
For circles.. the rigging absolutely matters. The point side should bend up towards the line.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.