understanding surroundings for success - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 02-02-2011, 11:22 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default understanding surroundings for success

for one reason or another the newly ordained striper fisherman will embark on his or her journey to the beach/jetty/bay/creek/dock/pier/bridge or structure to observe and then proceed. in more cases than one can recall, stumbling and bumbling along and proclaiming "this doesn't look fishy/this looks bleak/this is not the right tide/there's no bait/and so on and so on...
either splashing into the water right away to wet his feet and become one with the environment. or, casting waay out with a plug in hopes of a fish. when they can be in 2 feet of water right in front of him and spooking them off. in an interactive post as this i would rather have some gents who read this and have knowlege take the time to post some pointers for the newfound surfcaster/angler. i would like to comprehensively put up something but it is my hope to make posts that have some interaction with notable members here as we have not been busy as of late. i started this and now i'd like some input and of course questions from the new gents that want some feedback.
you may pick an individual set of circumstances you fish and post it for comments. if you read this and fear a question is too stupid/easy/embarassing/lame, or anything of the sort that makes you feel inadequate or not savvy? don't be foolish and ask, nobody is or was perfect and there is always something to be learned by all of us.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2011, 09:38 AM
First Mate

Default Re: understanding surroundings for success

With all my experience as a river angler (all 3 years) i'll try to explain how i approach my begining of a day fishing way down the back rivers where i live.As i approach the areas i target fish.First i never run the engine directly into the target area. Shut down way before and either use the in or out tide to approach or use troling motor to get to near the outskirts of that particular area.Then i scope out all the surounding waters in that area looking for any tel tale signs of movement nervous water,dark spots,birds working.As we all know they could be anywhere.As far as how i start to fish,lets say pluging.I cast at about 9oclock and then begin a sweep around the clock unless i see signs of activity,then if that's the case i try to cast to that spot.Iff the tide is coming in i cast to the front of the tide as i'm thinking that the fish are going to be moving in with the tide.Then i do the around the clock in that movement area.It sure seems i could use some advice with this method.It's something i did on my own as i don't know that much about all the different methods at all.It produces fish for me but i know there's probally a better way to approach this.I didn't put this up here to teach anyone but to get help on things that experienced anglers could help me out with.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

a river angler.... i have just the man.... (if he sees this) stay tuned and a good post.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
First Mate

I spent the last half of last yr. fishing from a pier. Unless it was dusk which turned in good hits from schoolies and blues the daytime hrs are pretty much nill despite incoming or outgoing tides. This is in Long Island Sound with a fairly rocky shoreline and i have experimented fishing down the shoreline a bit where a sand bar happens to be with sporadic results, different baits, topwater and swimmers. Could I be attacking this in the wrong way.
thanks
Old 02-04-2011, 09:40 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brzman View Post
I spent the last half of last yr. fishing from a pier. Unless it was dusk which turned in good hits from schoolies and blues the daytime hrs are pretty much nill despite incoming or outgoing tides. This is in Long Island Sound with a fairly rocky shoreline and i have experimented fishing down the shoreline a bit where a sand bar happens to be with sporadic results, different baits, topwater and swimmers. Could I be attacking this in the wrong way.
thanks
are you fishing a pier out of frustration? i can't see where you are fishing so i am kinda blind (i see a comment coming from the p-nut gallery).
dawn and dusk are a no brainer. the pier attracts baitfish and there are always fish in and around the area picking off bait. down the beach and around a rocky shoreline during the day i'd tie on a teaser with a swimmer or spook. and even tie a leader off the back of the trail hook with a teaser/fly and work it slow. sometimes a fish will be looking up from behind a rock and a lure/plug will be moving too fast for it to be bothered chasing after. jigs (and expect to lose alot) excell in these areas you describe. the sandbar? that is a spot you have to find where the current comes from (cast out a plug and let it drift) seems if you work it from the opposite end and let it drift over the bar you can get some idea of where to work it on the outgoing and incoming tides. then you can work lite bucktails that way as well. nite fishing is probably good there. you'd be surprised how fish can see you walking the beach toward them during the day. i can't see large concentrations of bait in this area you speak of. silversides/anchovies along the shore perhaps. thing about locations is what is the prevalent food source. some days there's bait. some days there's none. some days you have no business there as the weather pattern is just not conducive to a bite at all. make a plan to fish this area and when you get there do what you planned. write down what it is you think you should do based on what people suggest. i may have forgotten half of what i should be telling anyone to try and do. i'm getting old. i'm sure some other tips of suggestions will be forthcoming. it's just that you must fish an area in different ways to see if anything works. play with some bucktails and light jigs over that bar. 1/4oz stuff with light tackle. if i imagine it there is current somewhere/. fish will be in and around the bar if fish are in and around the pier nearby....

Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by striper774 View Post
With all my experience as a river angler (all 3 years) i'll try to explain how i approach my begining of a day fishing way down the back rivers where i live.As i approach the areas i target fish.First i never run the engine directly into the target area. Shut down way before and either use the in or out tide to approach or use troling motor to get to near the outskirts of that particular area.Then i scope out all the surounding waters in that area looking for any tel tale signs of movement nervous water,dark spots,birds working.As we all know they could be anywhere.As far as how i start to fish,lets say pluging.I cast at about 9oclock and then begin a sweep around the clock unless i see signs of activity,then if that's the case i try to cast to that spot.Iff the tide is coming in i cast to the front of the tide as i'm thinking that the fish are going to be moving in with the tide.Then i do the around the clock in that movement area.It sure seems i could use some advice with this method.It's something i did on my own as i don't know that much about all the different methods at all.It produces fish for me but i know there's probally a better way to approach this.I didn't put this up here to teach anyone but to get help on things that experienced anglers could help me out with.
this is why i posted it. to get people to talk about it and even ask for further advise. i'm no river expert so i won't be the one to tell you what to do and not do. i'd fish at night i'll tell you that much. and find some places where bait can be pushed up or into. glad your humble like myself.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:07 PM
First Mate

Yea it is partly outta frustration, the fishing wasn't so great to begin with last yr, so i met up with these guys that fish the pier all the time and now at least I got guys to bullshit with......about the lack of fish.....Ironic eh !!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:55 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don't fall into that trap. get a plan. there are several spots that you have to know of. alternate based on current/tide. make a pattern plan to go one place and drive to the next and then when it gets dark the spot which owns the deepest water you can locate where it's rocky. when the water is moving in or moving out these fish will be in the rocks close where there is a longshore current or where the water coming in along the shore goes out of a jetty or some cove where it forms some kind of rip. i know full well there are some spots like this. eels at night in those locations.. take some looks at it as it is now while bored. get down there during different tide movement and see what is happening with the water. think about where you'd park your ass if you were a fish in lie? snap out of that pier chit. it will make you lazy and miss out on what your designed to do. HUNT..

Old 02-11-2011, 08:57 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
a river angler.... i have just the man.... (if he sees this) stay tuned and a good post.
Zim,just a little reminder about the fello that can pick my fishing procedure apart and help out.Productive critisism i need. Thanks
Old 02-12-2011, 09:04 AM
Official Member

I hope I can relate what I learned here in as simple terms as possible. The ocean because of its never ending movement causes the sand to shift constantly there by morphing the shoreline constantly. This can be seen especially after a storm. The beach sand is scarped away by the waves and their constant pounding and loosening if the sand. Where does it go? In simple terms it sits just off shore waiting for redepositing back up onto the beach once more.

In doing so bars are formed a slight distance off shore. Now you have what is called a slough which is a depression that runs parallel to the shoreline. Again lets go back to the constant wave action remember that? Well as it goes over the bars a wave or up swelling is formed sometimes curling and breaking over the bar is it becomes shallow enough. Then the wave flattens out till it comes crashing onto the shore.

What just happened? Well the ocean just delivered a huge amount of water over that bar and now it wants to escape. How? By the force of the water it finds the weakest point in the bar and breaks its way through causing a cut or depression in the bar. It might not be much in fact most of the time it may be only a couple of feet or so.

Knowing this you can use this to your advantage, the fish do. What do I mean by that? Well. As the predator fish attack the bait the bait look for a place to hide, our bottom here is pretty much just sand so any depression the bait can find they make use of. More of this later.

Another distinguishing effect is the rip current. This is caused by the current running through the cut in the bar perpendicular to the beach. In the summer you hear once in a while a person swimming and suddenly is taken a long distance off shore. What happened now? The current is strong enough to carry anything off shore and that is including people. For us, it can be a problem, for the bait and fish feeding it is a super highway to either a good meal or safety.

When the water is high or it is too rough to see the cuts or the rips caused by the cuts simply read the beach. Now were are getting to the point of this article.

As the water caused by the tides rise and fall carve out sand from the beach and carry this off the beach and through the cut in the bar. This is a good place to try your luck as the fish you are trying to target are looking for bait that are washed out by this rip current.

Try the sides of the rip and also in the back parts of the slough between the bar and the shore line.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:03 AM
First Mate

ZIMNO,
your exactly right and it does become easy to get complacent when things are slow and I does have to remember what we're there for.

WIMPY,
thanks for the info, very useful, and something that I will refer to just so I do remember what i'm there for.

Your fishing skills are appreciated.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:38 AM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Great Post Wimpy! I was going to get into the reading of sandy beaches but you have it covered. It took me a while to get into a groove with the water line when I started fishing and I am sure others have similar issues as well. When you first approach a sand beach it can be quite humbling just trying to figure out where to fish and why. To me it came down to narrowing my spots and picking locations based on cuts.

One of my favorite places to fish in the world has a deep cut at high water right at your feet and often times the fish will be two feet under your nose. Particularly at night when you cant see them. That is why when i approach a beach I first follow the current and cast up along the beach allowing my offering to drift along the trough and sweep back into me. It is amazing how often I will hook up right in that trough. Sometimes right at my feet. It almost scares you when it first happens.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

this is what i was asking for and, i will make new posts like this to have available. of course there are threads that can be accessed by clicking a search button but, some don't heed the suggestion of a SEARCH. I would have thought more would be posted but what i have read so far leads me to believe i have mustered up a few good comments and suggestions. i do however miss the senior guys chiming into the threads. well done on several levels but want more

Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Official Member

Learn how to read the beach, spend some time in the local B&T's and listen to the chatter from the locals. The best tactic you can have is inside information. The only way to gain that is to frequent this site or frequent your local Bait & Tackle shops.

The beach is a living thing and changes day to day, learning to know where to throw your offering is half the battle. There is a lot of structure off the beach so be patient and you will be rewarded.

You will learn real fast that the best bait to use is what is in the suds. Match the Hatch is a phrase used in saltwater as well as in fresh water fly fishing. Offshore for me is full of clam beds and when the weather gets snotty they litter the beach and when stripers are around well lets say you don't want to be using topwater plugs. When you show up at the beach and walk out in the water a little bit if you see alot of sand eels
then its good to work a lure that is similar in nature because this is probably what the stripers are naturally feeding on at this time

Then again if you show up to the beach and see birds diving into the water just off shore or what have you then they are usually following schools of baitfish probably peanut bunker or snapper blues these schools are mostly followed by bluefish and stripers. This means crack out the lures and or live bait.

Last edited by WIMPY; 02-15-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-01-2011, 03:58 PM

Here's some tips.
Always Be prepared to get mauled by mosquitos. Miscalculate a moon tide and get stuck on a bar. Get knocked on your ass by rogue waves, backwashes, have your waders fill up with water and sand, slide on your ass with a fish on, suffer hypothermia, dehydration, 3rd degree sun burns, barnacle infections or catch pnuemonia. Need to take a dump in your waders. Lose your cleats, plug bag, light, break your rod, reel, Hopefully not your arm, hand, elbow, leg, or back.
Lose your car keys, cell phone, wife, girlfriend, kids, money, sanity. did i miss anything?