Size of Lures for Wipers - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > The Wiper Room
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Wiper Room A forum for all you Hybrid and White bass fishermen out there . Wiper aka Hybrid striper / Cherokee Bass / Sunshine bass / Wiper.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Size of Lures for Wipers

Nice spoon, Tooth! I got to the point I was walking through the hardware store, looking for heavy metal I could paint white and cut to shape! ;)
Dan, too bad your lake went south, what happened, ?
LMJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Official Member

This spring I pulled out an 11 inch yellow bass out of a 26+ inch wiper that weighed in at 10 lbs. from a nearby lake. It amazes me how a fish will eat another fish that is half to two-thirds its own size. And then keep feeding.
When the bite is on any size is fine. In Texas (warm) lakes, I use a 3 inch lure all year 'round and catch 17-26 inch wipers. Right now surface temp is 95 degrees and only drops to 90 at night. This summer when the bite is on they are hitting on the retrieve only about 5 feet below the surface in deep water. Go figure.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Wiper Guru

In Indiana they seem to be doing the same thing. Hot water and the wipers hit shallow. Of course, they don't come out until it is nearly dark out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2011, 12:15 PM
Official Member

Hi all , man I am really sorry for not posting for such a long time. I completely forgot all about this website until just today and I happened to spot a link to it. I am so bad. My only excuse is I work for the military and they keep me busy most days , also I suffer from Adult CRS, LOL. I am going to put this site on my list of favorite sites and this won't happen again.
I have read all of the posts here and will try to update as best I can. During some of my last posts our reservoir here was under duress dye to some leakage from under the rock Dikes. The Army Corp of Engineers worked on this problem all season and completed the fix 6 months sooner than expected, and the problem was fixed and all is well. This year 2011 so far we are having water at full pool and then some.
The Wiper fishing here in Northern Utah is a little slow , but the water temps are just starting to come up. Last saturday I fished an Annual Wiper Invitational that my son and i have always entered. We didn't do well at all, and i was watching and talking to a lot of folks on the water as to how the fishing was and the response was the same. SLOW. The water temp was only 57.8 degrees all day. The temps are climbing now and it won't be long before we are hooking up again. As for my luck with lures still looking and experimenting and not going to give up. Once again I apoligize for the long pause, you all are great here and I am looking forward to hearing from you again.
Tight lines my friends.
Old 11-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Official Member

Hi all, sorry for not posting in such a long time. I've had a boat load of things to deal with this year, has not been very much time for fishing this year. But good news, all is well now and I was even able to land myself a newer boat this past Fall. I will be in and out trying to pick a few brains in here .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Boat.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	15706  
Old 11-19-2011, 03:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Dan glad you were able to upgrade on boats. Nothing worse that a boat that gives you trouble all the time.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Official Member

6" Smack Jack looks tiny beside these Wipers
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8-16-11 Smack Jackers 002.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	15708   Click image for larger version

Name:	8-16-11 Smack Jackers 005.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	15709  
Old 05-27-2012, 08:26 AM
Official Member

In winter time I often fish with a 1.5oz casting spoon (slab) and have a fly tied above it. It's amazing how many times the hybrid bites the fly. But, as noted previously as the water warms those guys want a larger bait.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Official Member

I used to fish Tennessee waters so I knew stripers take large baits, but a trip on the St Johns in Fl made me question what wipers can handle... Back in the spring my father and I were dragging golden shiners behind his boat...We weren't specifically targeting stripers or wipers, but we did stumble some schooling activity..Long story short- the shiners went untouched but my dad managed to hook and land a 5lb sunshine bass on a tiny shallow shad rap , had another follow, and yet another broke him off... ... I did notice the wiper had a relatively small mouth for its size-particularly compared with what a striper or largemouth bass in the same class would have- and I was originally thinking that was why the shiners were never grabbed... However, particularly after reading this but it seems clear to me now it was a match the harch scenario.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Official Member

Hi all, sorry for not posting much last year. My wife had been battling Liver Cancer and passed away in October. I didn't get very much fishing in. Things are better now and I'm looking forward to getting out for some Wiper Hunting. I'm looking for some new ideas and lures if anyone has any.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:37 PM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDan52 View Post
Hi all, sorry for not posting much last year. My wife had been battling Liver Cancer and passed away in October. I didn't get very much fishing in. Things are better now and I'm looking forward to getting out for some Wiper Hunting. I'm looking for some new ideas and lures if anyone has any.
Welcome back, and so sorry to hear about the loss of your wife. Best wishes for a great season hunting the stripey fishes. If there's anything I can help you with, I'll do my best!
Cheers,
Jake
Old 04-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Official Member

Yes, sorry for your loss AFDan. They are hitting 4" swimbaits here in Ohio and the small flitterbaits from Smack
Old 04-19-2014, 12:10 PM
Official Member

Hi everyone , hope you all survived the winter with no or very little problems. So time to get busy with fish'in . What's new and is there anything new being used to catch the elusive Wipers. My favorite Water to them is Willard bay in Northern Utah the water is coming back up and there is a bite on right now . Looking to get the upper hand a little.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:39 PM
Official Member

<P>6" Tsunami Swimbait and Creek Chub Striper Strikes on the Ohio River</P>
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	user42743_pic17823_1400207396.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	20898   Click image for larger version

Name:	6-3-14 first trip back 016.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	20906  
Old 09-29-2014, 06:05 PM
Official Member

Sorry that I haven't been around much guys. haven't had much chance to got out fishing this year due to work and family issues. But I did get some news that made me very happy, I found out that 10,000 Wipers were placed into East Canyon Reservoir in Morgan , Utah. There is plenty of Depth and natural forage . Hoping that they get fairly large in there, how fast will a Wiper grow?