Alabama stripe fishing? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Alabama Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Default Re: Alabama stripe fishing?

Thanks for the reply. I went fishing with a buddy and a guide on Martin Lake on New Years eve. A cold front was moving in, so the stripes were a little lock jawed. Still, we "painted" a lot of fish and boated several fish in the 14lb range. The guide is also a fisheries biologist and very helpful in providing info on how and where to fish and how to set up my boat. He told us that, especially in the spring and summer time, released stripers will probably die anyway, so he keeps fish. He also said that Alabama has a great stocking program with about a million figerlings a year (expect about a 50% mortality rate due predation and what not). He also said that the stripes will spawn and have a better chance of hatch-lings in the Tenn. River due to a good current between dams. Also, there a more Atlantic stripes in the Tenn river than Gulf stripes. Atlantic stripes' eggs are more buoyant so stay in the water column and not sink to the bottom. Eggs need to stay in the water column and not sink to hatch. So, bottom line, better to keep them than throw them back. Hybrids are stocked fish anyway, so I have no issue with keeping them. I understand your issue with keeping fish. I never keep bass or any other non-stocked species. I plan to set up my boat and fish Smith lake as well as below Guntersville dam in lake Wheeler. Will keep everyone posted on how I do as I begin fishing these waters. It would be good to get a few more guys on this thread so we can pass along info. Good fishing, Gunny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM

Welcome to the site, Gunny...sorry for the late reply/welcome....I haven't cheked the 'Alabama' thread, lately. It's good to see another North Bammy fellah onboard! I work in Huntsville and live in Hartselle. G-ville tailrace can be good, but Wheeler and Wilson can be alot better and you have the added bonus of some GOOD smallmouth and white bass fishing. Fishing should start improving in the tailraces by late Feb. and become much better by mid-March.(all depends on water temp). Shoot me a PM if you want to get together and fish...we can take my boat and I'll show you the little bit I know.

— Jed Clampett
Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Official Member

We have really been tearing up the whites here in Guntersville the last few weeks. Fishing with a weighted spoon and pulling them through the schools of small shad that can be spotted by the fish hitting top water trying to feed.

Within the last 3 weeks I have caught a lot of nice whites ranging from 2 to 5lbs. A couple bigger but they were few and far between. But if you are looking for some that are fun to catch and good to eat, then you are in luck!

Crappie fishing has picked up a good bit too. I went last weekend and got my limit within about 3 hours. Some very nice slabs on that trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperlover View Post
We have really been tearing up the whites here in Guntersville the last few weeks. Fishing with a weighted spoon and pulling them through the schools of small shad that can be spotted by the fish hitting top water trying to feed.

Within the last 3 weeks I have caught a lot of nice whites ranging from 2 to 5lbs. A couple bigger but they were few and far between. But if you are looking for some that are fun to catch and good to eat, then you are in luck!

Crappie fishing has picked up a good bit too. I went last weekend and got my limit within about 3 hours. Some very nice slabs on that trip.
I bet some of those were small hybs or salts...wtg on the crappie, too!!

btw, were you using Foley spoons?

— Jed Clampett
Old 03-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Official Member

Hey ya'll!
Been away for a bit but I am back now. :)
To answer the question above yeah we were using the 1oz Foley spoons. There were a couple of smaller salts nothing of any big size. A few hybrids mixed in too. It was all in all just a great late winter for catching them at the dam.
Although try as I might I was never able to get into any of the Jack this year. I caught one that weighted less then 2lbs and that was it. Not really sure what happened.
I will for certain be at the dam on the wall tomorrow hoping there will be a little bit of bait come up. I will be the big guy fishing with the Browning reel. Feel free to stop by and say hi if you are there!
Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Official Member

Anybody fish Lake Eufaula or the Chattahoochee River?
Old 11-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Skipper

I fish live bait mostly for stripers in Alabama. During the summer I'll pull spoons on downriggers (Smith and Martin). From Late Spring to mid-fall (up to about this time of year), I get my shad from Nealy Henry dam when they're running the generators. Once the water gets to about 55 degrees, it's hard to get them at the dam until it warms up.

I have three tanks. One 30 gal. Keep Alive tank (non-filtered) that keeps them alive long enough for me to get from the dam to the house. At the house I have a 250 gal double filtered tank that I keep stocked. On the boat I have an insulated 40 gal. Bluewater Bait Tank that has a separate filtration compartment. When I go fishin I transfer about 20 - 30 shad from the big holding tank to the boat tank.

So here's the question...for those of you using live bait, where do your get you shad? I find cast netting at the base of Nealy Henry dam to be hit or miss and I spend an awful lot of time and effort getting shad and keeping them alive.

Do you have any good spots to get shad?