Oct 20, 1975 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Oregon
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 10-21-2006, 02:03 PM

Default Oct 20, 1975

Today the 20th Oct is 31 years to the day I caught my first STRIPER. It's been a life time since that night casting from the bank, (just a wide spot in the road running along a slough), I'd been told about guys catching big bass there. After stopping and getting the biggest plug I could, I started my STRIPER life and caught my first Striper 25 lbs. Well I think that tonight I'm going to take a drive to that same spot and see if I can relive that night all over again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2006, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Oct 20, 1975

Well, Striperchaser, did you do a repeat? How 'bout a 3peat? :)
I see you posted in the West Coast area, I was born in Santa Monica, where along the coast do you catch stripers?
It was Oct or Nov '65 we moved from LA area to St. Louis, I'm in Cincinnati OH for last 19 years.
We did a little trout fishing in hills and mountains, and one party barge trip I remember with some mackerel and bonito.
Hope you got to re-live that moment, my first pure striper, as well as hybrid, was this year!
God bless,
Jeff
Old 11-21-2006, 05:45 PM

Hi to you out in Cincinnati!
Well I didn't repeat, but I did take the three hours and look back on 30+ years of some of the best times in my life. I could write a book, well I guess we all could do that. I'm just looking forward to the next 30.
I fish the south coast of Oregon, where we call it striper hunting, as we do not have the large amount of fish. I fish three rivers that are all within a 45 minute drive. I also fish the surf at times.
Have a Great Thanksgiving!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 PM

You have a great Thanksgiving too, Striperchaser!
I haven't been out that way since, well, if you count NE Oregon coming from Pasco/Kenniwick/Richmond area picking cherries, down from World's Fair when it was in Spokane. 1974. We were heading to Salt Lake City, on to Zion Nat. Park.
They wouldn't let us have Gathering of the Tribes at Zion, we wound up at Enterprise, UT.
We went back to Spokane, up to Colville, WA, then West across no. Washington to Sedro Wooley.
I was 17, hitchhiking around, ran into Rainbow Tribe, doing the bus "Merry Prankster" thing.
Wish I had done some fishing out there, some nice rivers out there!
Have you had the chance to fish the Snake?
I'm sure there are many others, we came through No. Washington to Sedro Wooley and Wickersham, Skagit river?
Lot's of guys fishing along that river coming through in '74.
Man, I'd love to get back out there!
I'll have to convince the wife we're coming out to visit some day!
Keep hunting them stripers, I'm finding out their a lot of fun!
We're heading to Cumberland Lake Nov. 30th, plug shallows at night, live bait fish deep during the day, I guess we'll sleep on the way home Sunday:)
God Bless, there's plenty to be thankful for!
Jeff

Last edited by LittleMiamiJeff; 11-21-2006 at 09:20 PM. Reason: add info
Old 11-27-2006, 06:40 PM

I am 44 have fished darn near my whole life & have just sparked interest into fishing for stripers. No luck so far though :( But I will keep trying. I am going out tomorrow & a storm front is moving in & I hear that is a great time to catch them. I sure hope I am lucky tomorrow :) I am biddin' on some bass books on ebay maybe I can get some good pointers there. If anyone would like to share some striper fishin' secrets I'd sure LOVE to learn them!
Old 11-27-2006, 07:22 PM

Hi gone fishin Have you seen this thread. It can be helpful to get started. https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=1955
Stripers 101
Old 11-28-2006, 08:07 PM

Hi Striper Jim,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have been studying the forum. Thanks very much for the link I went to Silverwood Lake today to try for them elusive stripers. But, not even a bite! I had read when a storm front is moving in it can be some of the best striper fishing. It was a nice day though even though it was cold & windy we still had fun. I will keep reading up & I purchased a striper bass bible on ebay for the winning bid of .99 cents lol so hopefully I wll get it dialed in soon!
Old 12-06-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishin View Post
Hi Striper Jim,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have been studying the forum. Thanks very much for the link I went to Silverwood Lake today to try for them elusive stripers. But, not even a bite! I had read when a storm front is moving in it can be some of the best striper fishing. It was a nice day though even though it was cold & windy we still had fun. I will keep reading up & I purchased a striper bass bible on ebay for the winning bid of .99 cents lol so hopefully I wll get it dialed in soon!
Hey Gone Fishin, keep the faith!
I fished for what seemed for ever trying to catch hybrids and finally stripers, one thing is for certain, you keep studying and applying what you read, and it'll pay off! Just like the lotto, you can't win if you don't buy a ticket, you can't catch a striper if you don't fish for them. You may catch one by accident, but you increase your odds, by applying some of the tactics you'll find here at 247 as well as the books your buying, and hanging out with more experienced folks.
Best Wishes to your efforts, May God Bless your attempts with some tight lines, fighting stripers, and if you're so inclined, a tasty Striper Holiday feast!
They do taste SO good!
I would recommend firing up the gas grill, roll your striper chunks in a melted butter/cajun mix, put on metal pizza pan laid on grill, let fire flare up as butter drips, man, tastes better than the best steak!
God bless,
LMJeff
Old 12-06-2006, 11:15 PM

Hi Jeff,
Thanks so much for your message I truely appreciate your words of encouragement ;) I tried AGAIN yesterday & I really went out there thinkin' "this is gonna be my lucky day". My husband & son went with me & I kept tellin them "I am gonna catch a big cow & I am gonna be in the next Western Outdoor News paper!" But my optimism never paid off :( I will not give up though that's for sure. I am a woman on a mission lol

Happy Trails... Take Care,
Gone_Fishin
Old 12-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Keep Plugging, Gone Fishin!
They're in there, get to know some striper fishin' nuts there in Llano, even pay a guide once or twice, you'll get a quick education, and up the odds dramatically.
Merry Christmas,
LMJeff
Old 12-15-2006, 12:10 PM

Thanks Jeff! Llano is a small town & I have not come acrossed any other fishing fanatics such as myself. I have been trying to find a guide but without success. I am going to ask the folks at Silverwood next time I go though. I did attend a seminar that they had posted on their bulletin board... my family & I waited for over an hour & the guy never showed up :(

Best to you & yours.. may you have a wonderful xmas & even better new year!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 04:04 PM

Same to you and your's GF, any snow in your neck of the woods? We're in the 50's, even low 60's this weekend, one week before Christmas!
2 years ago, we had 18 inches of snow couple nights before Christmas.
Crazy man, Crazy! :)
Old 12-16-2006, 08:18 PM

Started snowing at 1 p.m. today. Hopefully will wake up to a major winter wonderland
Old 12-16-2006, 09:40 PM

Yeah, not looking good for those climbers on Hood, is it?
May God be with them and their families, Comfort and Peace.
God bless,
Jeff
Old 02-26-2007, 04:07 PM

Hello striperchaser, I enjoyed your breif description of you going back to revist the first time your hooked/got hooked on striper fishing. It's a shame that I can't go back to the place where I caught mine.

The area has been closed for various reasons, mainly from people not cleaning-up after themselves. I'm not one to point fingers. I know I havent always picked up all of my beer bottles.

I hope that people realize that our fishing areas are closing and that we need to preserve these areas. We need to preserve these areas so that we can make return visits to some of our most memorable places just like you did. We also need to preserve these areas for our proceeding generations to appreaciate.