Rod Building questions on Boat Rod - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 08-22-2006, 10:14 PM

Default Rod Building questions on Boat Rod

I have a 7" GBT841M Lamiglas blank that Im building for my Father in Law. And I know he prefers a coak grip over an EVA foam grip. I have purchased a CG-21 inch St Croix handle kit which is a cork handle.
But the butt of this rod is .844 (I think) and it looks like after I remove the cork needed in may be to thin to use for a boat rod grip. Does anyone have any suggestions on this, I have seen far more boat rods with the EVA grip than cork.
Im going to put Fuji SIC CONCEPT Boat Rod Guide Set HBSG8-20 which has 7 guides total. I would like suggestions on the where to put these 7 guides for a boat rod setup. I am new to building rods, and I have just recently started buying the pieces needed instead of the kits.

Thanks for your replys
Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2006, 06:53 PM
Veteran

I don,t know EVA grips . If it is to small build it up with cork fillers
Old 10-05-2006, 09:45 PM

Hate to tell you this but it sounds like you need bigger cork rings. If the blank is very thick you can get away with a double layer of cork tape - you want to fancy it up, cover that with AmTaks X Flock shrink grip (put a thin coat of slow drying epoxy over the cork tape before you shrink the grip on to keep it from slipping)

Also, never trust another persons guide recipe, you never know if your blank is just a little bit different then theirs was.

As for guide placement the only way to know for sure is to do your reel seat then tape on the guides, put a reel in the seat, line through the guides, tie it off to something immoveable and put a hard flex into the rod. If the line touches the blank you have to move the guides closer together. You also want to avoid large flat spots.

If you want to do something really cool you should try doing an Acid (spiral) wrap. I got to fish with a rod done this way and I'm hooked, any boat rod I ever assemble will definitely be Acid wrapped. (do a google)