boat size - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-04-2014, 01:02 AM
Official Member

Default boat size

Hi guys, I've been looking for a center console boat, but have had no luck. I've been looking for about 2 months now and just can't find one in the size I think I need. I want to be able to take it to the sound in the summer. I have been pretty stuck on 20'-22' for traveling and trailering reasons. I have found many 18' and 19' CC's. Any input on how this size boat might handle the sound?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 05:45 AM
Striper Hunter

Red face Re: boat size

Try broadening your search. There is so much more to choose from when you look outside of the area. We drove 2-1/2 hrs. to Rhode Island last weekend for our new Grady.

Good luck
Old 04-04-2014, 07:32 AM
Official Member

Default Re: boat size

yea, I'm actually going out to look at a mako next week, but it's 3 hours away. what about size thought? 18'or 19' enough? or would you stay with a 20'+?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Iv'e fished and boated there with both an 18' and a 22' . I'd keep looking for a 20 foot boat.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:22 PM
Striper Hunter

I just picked up a 20' Mako 2 weeks ago in Kingston where I Live. I got really lucky as I was searching Craigslist for pretty much the entire North East down to Maryland.

The majority of Center Consoles are found in Long Island, NYC, North Jersey and Jersey Shore listing regions.

I too want to use it in the Sound and figure 19' and up you should be fine.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:37 PM
Official Member

sooo, you read my profile and are rubbing it in that you got to it first...I see how it is. i'm going out to keep looking for my 20' center console.

oh I was just kidding about the rubbing it in part
Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Not rubbing it in but.......... lol

Right now everyone is looking for exactly what you are....... I got lucky and was first to inquire about the boat an hour after it was posted. By next morning the guy had 40 emails even some offering double asking price sight unseen to buy boat out from under me! I was lucky the guy was honest and held up to his word and sold me the boat and lets just say I stole it!

I have been browsing Craigslist daily for months looking for the right deal...... Good Luck!
Old 04-04-2014, 02:02 PM
Striper Hunter

I picked up this 92 Wellcraft 18 Fish for $1800 in Sturbridge MA. took 3 months to find....
this 18 Foot is great and fishes all water if you are smart about it. 3 adults comfortable 4 is ok 5 is tight.
lots of fishing room. Good luck and keep looking

Old 04-05-2014, 09:57 AM
First Mate

A 19' boat is plenty of boat for the Long Island Sound. My 19' Key West Center has fished the sound hundreds of time, as well as Moriches Bay, Peconic Bay, and the ocean off Montauk Point, Newport RI, Cape Cod and Fire Island. You just have to be smart about it, and not go out when it's too snotty. On the river, it's a great boat, lots of room!
Old 04-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Striper Hunter

http://albany.craigslist.org/boa/4408128632.html

Here is a boat!!!!

I cant stop looking.......
Old 04-05-2014, 08:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Patiently Waiting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140405_194516.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	18378  
Old 04-10-2014, 03:11 PM
Striper Hunter

It's really all a matter of perspective...a bigger boat just means you will be able to get out further east, and on a greater % of days. About 20 yrs ago, before that whole "wife and kids" train rolled into the station, I lived in Stamford/Norwalk for about 5 years. I had a 16' Invader bow rider, which was not the deepest of V-hulls, and really there were not too many days when we thought it was too rough to be out there, and not just in the coves...all the way across to LI. Was it ideal? Hell no...but I never felt in danger or anything....but I was also in my 20s then...so I guess that might have been a factor.

Currently I am looking for a 17-18 ft center console, to be able to get back out on the sound. Right now I have a crusty old 15' tri-hull (you can stop laughing now...) that has been great on lakes and the Hudson around Newburgh, but I want something a little newer/nicer/bigger now. Can't do bigger than 17-18 feet because I have to tow it with my only vehicle (V6 Rav4)...the drive to work is too long for a big truck as my only ride, and a guy can only have have so much crap in the driveway (motor boat/2 kayaks/canoe/jon boat/Harley/landscaping trailer...) so a truck just for towing a boat is just not gonna happen. That size should be fine...sure there will be days when I will need to just say "not happening today" though...

Good luck with the search....
Old 04-10-2014, 05:19 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXK883 View Post
It's really all a matter of perspective...a bigger boat just means you will be able to get out further east, and on a greater % of days. About 20 yrs ago, before that whole "wife and kids" train rolled into the station, I lived in Stamford/Norwalk for about 5 years. I had a 16' Invader bow rider, which was not the deepest of V-hulls, and really there were not too many days when we thought it was too rough to be out there, and not just in the coves...all the way across to LI. Was it ideal? Hell no...but I never felt in danger or anything....but I was also in my 20s then...so I guess that might have been a factor.

Currently I am looking for a 17-18 ft center console, to be able to get back out on the sound. Right now I have a crusty old 15' tri-hull (you can stop laughing now...) that has been great on lakes and the Hudson around Newburgh, but I want something a little newer/nicer/bigger now. Can't do bigger than 17-18 feet because I have to tow it with my only vehicle (V6 Rav4)...the drive to work is too long for a big truck as my only ride, and a guy can only have have so much crap in the driveway (motor boat/2 kayaks/canoe/jon boat/Harley/landscaping trailer...) so a truck just for towing a boat is just not gonna happen. That size should be fine...sure there will be days when I will need to just say "not happening today" though...

Good luck with the search....
I sent you a pm with a link to a boat that caught my eye and might interest you .... if you buy it take me out in the sound with you

I have fished out of the Connecticut River before and the sound was like glass .. it was 80 degrees in early October and the blues were biting. The next day we fished all over out there.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 PM
First Mate

Man. I been out in the sound a few times, on a 32ft boat. Got caught in a storm once, scared the bejeezus outta me. Spray blowing all the way over the fly bridge, etc. I'm not sure I could go out in a 19ft boat. lol. Although I will say, I have seen it flat as glass too.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:55 PM
Official Member

bought one, had to drive to Rhode Island to get it...but it's mine now. 20' c-hawk, with a Johnson 140hp...let the money flow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	18474   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	18482