Herring report - Page 8 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Herring report

A Dubb,
Thanks for the info about netting. No problem here. Hope we all respect this wonderful resource of the herring migration. Without respect we may loose the privelege.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2014, 11:25 AM
absolute trophy hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn39 View Post
No current herring reports? Think it's because herring are all the way up to Troy. I have been told that plenty of herring have been netted in the Postenskill. Can anyone confirm that?
I agree, scapped in saugerties for 45 min fri after work and nothing, then went to headwaters of esopus creek to jig and not a nibble. Scapped Saturday for an hour or so and again nothing. All the local reprts from people in the area were tthey got bait pretty descent until about Thursday. Guys have been jiggin em in the creek since Saturday but it was still slow. Pretty sure the first main push of bait snuck by earlier in the week but todays weather followed by mon n tues should bring fish in for sure. Guys are catchin some stripers here and a couple have done well but nothin over 30" yet
Old 04-20-2014, 12:09 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by albanyfish518 View Post
I can confirm that Herring is very plentiful in the Poesty. Hitting sabaki rigs and limiting out in 30-45 minutes.
"Hitting" is a stretch ..... being snagged is a better description. At least from what i have seen it seems like the majority, if not all, of the ones i have seen caught were foul hooked.

It's funny .... i used to see ENCON there all the time watching the netters prior to to the changes in the law but now you never see them.

I'm not busting chops or lecturing but i have always had the understanding that foul hooked fish can't be kept. It sure seems like DEC could hand out tickets left and right for snagging herring in the creek?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2014, 12:39 AM
Official Member

The only rule I see about releasing foul hooked fish pertains to trout and salmon, and Walleyes in Oneida Lake. See page 54 of the most recent DEC Freshwater Fishing guide.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:29 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
The only rule I see about releasing foul hooked fish pertains to trout and salmon, and Walleyes in Oneida Lake. See page 54 of the most recent DEC Freshwater Fishing guide.
Just before that it says no snatching except for a few exceptions and refers you to another page for the definition which says

Fish must be taken during their respective open season by angling or ice fishing in New York State waters in accordance with New York State Fishing Regulations. Angling does not include any method by which the fish are foul hooked. Fish showing signs of foul hooking, gill nets, tampering or foreign objects will be disqualified.

So ... it's clear as Hudson River Mud ... but it sure seems like foul hooked fish are not legal to keep.

Again ... i am not trying to bust chops or be an amateur DEC guy .... just trying to educate myself.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:29 AM
Striper Hunter

Swung by the pkill last night and watched the guys fishing for a while. One guy had a bag full of herring. He would cast wait a few secs then pull hard and fast,then wait a few seconds and pull hard and fast again. The guys just jigging and respecting the law had empty bags. Its sad to see. But it is proof they are all the way up here in troy just need the water towarm up a bit.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglurr54 View Post
Swung by the pkill last night and watched the guys fishing for a while. One guy had a bag full of herring. He would cast wait a few secs then pull hard and fast,then wait a few seconds and pull hard and fast again. The guys just jigging and respecting the law had empty bags. Its sad to see. But it is proof they are all the way up here in troy just need the water towarm up a bit.
Sounds like they think they were at the salmon river from years ago. Snaggers go home.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
I don't think you'll be bothered for having a snagged herring from a sabiki rig. Plus these alewives don't bite very well early in the season. As long as u only have 10 u should be cool
Old 04-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakboy View Post
I don't think you'll be bothered for having a snagged herring from a sabiki rig. Plus these alewives don't bite very well early in the season. As long as u only have 10 u should be cool
Like i said i haven't seen a DEC guy last year or this year by the creek but in previous years they were all over.

I'm not making any issues out of it .... just seems funny to me.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Stoolied the HH for a little while around noon to no avail--saw nothing. Met Grampy06--he and his buddy confirmed alewives at the pkill, limiting out 3 days in a row with sabikis.

Personally, I think I'll give it another week...unless maybe I head south?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:40 PM
Official Member

Herring are up around HH and the surrounding creeks. Was able to stoolie some followers then jig few in the creek. Its about to heat up fast guys!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
Like i said i haven't seen a DEC guy last year or this year by the creek but in previous years they were all over.

I'm not making any issues out of it .... just seems funny to me.
Tell that to the 6 people yesterday on Easter got tickets for snagging and over limit..he rolled up in plain clothes..I throw it in wait 5 secs if I feel a hit I reel it in 90% hooked in the mouth...
Old 04-21-2014, 04:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jab420 View Post
Tell that to the 6 people yesterday on Easter got tickets for snagging and over limit..he rolled up in plain clothes..I throw it in wait 5 secs if I feel a hit I reel it in 90% hooked in the mouth...
Wow really, many times when I catch a herring on a sabiki it gets tangled up in the other hooks but one's always in the mouth. I wonder if that still counts as foul hooked if one is in the mouth but 2 stuck elsewhere. Never thought about it till now.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtnwdc View Post
Stoolied the HH for a little while around noon to no avail--saw nothing. Met Grampy06--he and his buddy confirmed alewives at the pkill, limiting out 3 days in a row with sabikis.

Personally, I think I'll give it another week...unless maybe I head south?

I was down today, threw the stoolie for a while in a few different spots and not a single follower. splashed the boat anyway knowing I wasn't going to catch fish. But lunch at yanni's is always good. pulled a bunch of logs out of the boat launch too. Man there was a big sucker. And wonder why they haven't set out the big fishing dock yet?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfocatman View Post
I was down today, threw the stoolie for a while in a few different spots and not a single follower. splashed the boat anyway knowing I wasn't going to catch fish. But lunch at yanni's is always good. pulled a bunch of logs out of the boat launch too. Man there was a big sucker. And wonder why they haven't set out the big fishing dock yet?
It's even better after yanking a couple in - mmmmmm calamari.
Closed Thread