fish finder rig vs. egg sinker setup - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-05-2012, 09:37 AM
Striper Hunter - iFish NY

Default fish finder rig vs. egg sinker setup

hello all!

I fish from shore almost exclusively and have been using the fish finder rigs for bloods for years... recently I have been having some issues with tangles where the swivel meets the main line/leader/fishfinder with the leader twisted around the main line preventing the system to work as designed. Its starting to drive me crazy!! I have one rod with mono and one running braid with both on baitrunner reels and I seem to have the same problems with each so I dont think its a line issue. So I was wondering what you guys have experienced, any similar problems? I have been thinking of switching over to the egg sinker but I am sure there are issues with that setup as well... just looking to get others opinions, thanks in advance for you input!

Tight Lines!

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: fish finder rig vs. egg sinker setup

i would set yourself up with a three-way swivel with a weight holder attachment. this keeps the line attachments further apart from each other. i would stick with the fish finders considering you're fishing from shore and absolutely use a round sinker rather than a pyramid since you're more than likely to get caught on rocks or branches closer to shore.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:51 AM
where the stripers at ?

i fish from a boat but this is my setup
2 rods out the sides with sinker slide 2oz disc and 3ft leader live herring
1 rod out the middle with basic carolina rig 1oz egg sinker bead 3 ft leader with chunk herring
works every time very few tangles
all bait runners (okuma)
2- 8ft rods (live)
1- 8 1/2 ft rod (chunk)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

i got the same tangle problem.....but i realized 90% of it gets twisted when ur reeling in....every once in a while it will get tangled in the cast, i can see it twisting when it goes out. As long as u get a good over the shoulder cast, it shouldnt twist in the air
Old 04-08-2012, 05:21 PM
living in a van down by the river

Your rig can also twist if the sinkers rolls with the current , try adding an ounce .
Old 04-08-2012, 06:08 PM
(formerly brian21johansen)

With an egg sinker setep you will still get tangles if used in an area with a lot of current/waves. However, i prefer this approach to the fishfinder rig and i believe that it can be a good thing to have your bait "rolling around". When you cast make sure the line is not tangled and the sinker is against the swivel (kind of obvious). As soon as your bait is sinking engage the reel and give it a crankor two. Once it hits bottom reel in any slack. Doing this has helped me avoid most tangles right away. Periodically check your rod and keep the slack out.

A 3 way rig can be effective but i feel like you will lose some casting distance with it and it will yangle more than the fishfinder rig. If you do use it make sure the line with the weight attached is shorter than the line with your bait. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Striper Hunter - iFish NY

thanks for all the input guys! I actually starting doing exactly what brian21 had suggested... I have been trying to keep the slack line to a minimun especially when the tide is cranking and Ive had fewer problems this weekend... I also started using fresh leaders if I do get a tangle as it seems the slight kinks in the leader only lead to more twists... I guess Ill keep at it until I kind the right combination... also tried adding a little weight as blood4breakfast has suggested...

thanks for the help again guys!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM
Striper Hunter

Good luck out there. show us some results!