Hey Striperchaser???Coquille holes - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Oregon
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-19-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Hey Striperchaser???Coquille holes

I've never fished the Coquille. My son and I ran it , late last Fall, just to check it out. We went from the mouth to Arago. Nancy's Pinch was a real kick at low tide. But...I found the holes at each bend very interesting.

We had the one day to check close to 30 miles of river. I dropped an underwater camera in each hole on the bends and in the two holes adjacent to Randolph Island. We saw Stripers in most of the lower holes. They were milling around under schools of, what looked to be, anchovies and sardines (smallest sardines I've ever seen). This was from just after daylight to about three in the afternoon. They(Stripers) didn't seem to be active except on a tide turn. We saw bait jumpinglike crazy with moving water.

We plan to hit it as soon as this crazy weather calms a bit. The whole river was a fairly uniform twelve feet, other than the deep holes and the 'Pinch'. I'm planning to run the shallows (main river) with my boat and fish live bait off side-planers over the holes. There will probably be a couple of my grandsons with us to fish the bait lines while my son and I cast lures. ...??? Do you think this will get it done?......I'll bet you bring up 'night fishing'.

Watch for a Crestliner with a Merc on the back and a PinPoint on the front.

Hope to see you on the river.
Bud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2005, 06:54 PM

Default You can fish year round.

I will drift and cast to the banks in the shallows where I see the bait fish. Did well along the island just before dark or untel the bait moved out with the tide. Fish the incoming tides on the lower river. Should be fishing the upper parts of the river (Coquille to Myrtle Point) until the bait fish move in to the lower river . Also I have done well down by 101 when the bait fish are in.