Post your set ups! - Page 6 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Post your set ups!

Figured I'd join in,

10'6" 1267C Surf Series G Loomis w/ Calcutta 700TE w/65# braid
use:

C.C.Canal ~ eel drifting,plugging & jigging.

10' ASRC100MH Avid Surf Series St.Croix w/ Calcutta 700 w/ 65# braid
use:

C.C.Canal ~ eel drifting,plugs & jigging

10' ASRS100MH Avid Surf Series St.Croix w/ Fin-Nor 16A Ahab 65# braid
use:

Plugging and eel slinging beachs

9' ASRS90M Avid Surf Series St.Croix w/ Fin-Nor 12A Ahab 65# braid
use:

Pluging,stickbaits and jigs.
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
First Mate

Nice collection of setups . . . I need more
Old 01-23-2008, 08:02 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCaster View Post
Nice collection of setups . . . I need more

I'd like to get a couple of VS's

5/0
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 09:15 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5/0 View Post

I'd like to get a couple of VS's

5/0
Great idea and wish I could buy a few myself.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudsy View Post
My "go to" rig for plugging anywhere - 10' Star Nickelite, Abu 6500 Mag Elite, 30# Stealth

Situational rigs:

Jetty plugging spinning - 9' 8" Lami SMB1123, Penn 704 greenie manual bail, 30# Stren Superbraid

Beach plugging spinning - 9' 10" Purglas 300-1, Daiwa SS 2600, 14# fireline (just traded some plugs for a Crack 200 to replace the Daiwa)

Back Bay bait - Japanese market 12' Daiwa 30-405, Newelized 146 Squidder, 30# Stealth

Beach bait - 10' Harnell 542, Newelized 200 Surfmaster or Abu 7000, 80# Stealth.

Livelining/bridge fishing - 9' honey Lami 1215m, Abu 8600, 150# PowerPro, 80# flouro topshot.
I've added a few since this I originally put up that post.

Montauk and all around plugging and eeling - AFAW 11' Estuary, Penn 706 for Montauk, Daiwa 5000 Surf Saltiga for Jersey beaches, 30# Ande braid - casts a mile, my favorite setup by far.

River jigging - Lami 9' Triflex, Abu Cardinal 870, 50# braid (forget what brand) - setup is heavy but tough as nails

Retro beach and Montauk plugging - 10' Fisher 8720, Penn 706 Greenie (Drilled out by a machinist friend and refinished by the Reel Restorer), 20# Fireline

Light plugging - 9' Arra XSRA1084, Daiwa Team Advantage 4500, 20# Stren Superbraid.

Medium Plugging and spook chucking - 9' 6" Lami XS 96 MHS, Crack 200, 20# Fireline

Pencil popping - Lami 1321M, Penn 706, 20# Fireline

3 Allstar BreakAway LDFC 119-2 (2 conventional, 1 spin)
One conventional
used for bait, Penn 146 Squidder with accurate frame and handle and 65# Stealth braid
One used for heavy plugging, Shimano 400 Conquest with 30# Stealth braid, also have a black 7000 Abu Big Game with 65# Stealth when I want to use it for bait.
The spinner is set up for bait with a Shimano 12000 Thunnus and 50# braid (forget the brand)

Fly - Redington RedFly 8 weight 13' spey rod, Ross Canyon Big Game reel
Sage 1090 DS 9 foot 10 weight, Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V reel

Just for goofing around with heavy bait - 11' yellow glass Lami and an Alvey 650C5, spooled with about 3 miles of 20# Trilene.

2 Otter sit in kayaks set up for fishing for the kids and I'm looking to buy a sit on top setup for myself before spring.

Also a couple of boat and freshwater rod n reel setups and I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Total rod n reel count, over 80
Damn - I think I might have a bit of an issue here
Old 01-24-2008, 11:43 AM
First Mate

A lot of guys and gals have stuff I can only dream of . . .
Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCaster View Post
A lot of guys and gals have stuff I can only dream of . . .
Save up,it takes time and
sacrifice's
but you'll get thier,that's what I did

5/0
Old 02-15-2008, 09:33 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Save up,it takes time and sacrafice but you'll get thier,that's what I did

5/0
I am definitely not in the league with you guys, but I am happy anyway just to fish. Maybe I will find a good setup at Walmart so I can catch some I just got old setups for now, but hope to save up for some new ones.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Save up,it takes time and sacrafice but you'll get thier,that's what I did
5/0
There are ways around the money issues.
Learn to build plugs, build rods, repair reels. Remember - Value Add !

I do all three, build plugs, build and repair rods and tinker with reels. 90% of my gear I got by trading one of this for two of those, then fixing the extra one up and trading it with a plug or two tossed in for something else.........................
The key to it is to be very aware of the going rates for decent used gear. If you know what you're looking at there are always deals to be found. There's also always the risk of getting robbed blind if you don't know what you're looking at.

I'm married - with kids! No way I could afford to pay cash for all that stuff I have.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:43 PM
First Mate

I know last year I took a hobby tax deduction and got some money back
Old 02-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
There are ways around the money issues.

I'm married - with kids! No way I could afford to pay cash for all that stuff I have.

IM on the same page 100% I have 2 kids,house,truck,car,camper, bills,misc bills, kids sports ect........And there's alot more belive me!
There is always a way around finding money,I redeem copper for cash,I'll get it from work,odds & ends,I stock pile it and cash it in when I feel the time is right.
I also put $$ away when I can, 10 bucks here 20 there, it takes time but I seem to make it count for the things that want.

It dosen't matter what you have for gear,it's how you enjoy what you have.

5/0
Old 02-19-2008, 03:15 PM
keeperreaper

For the canal jigging and throwing bike tires lami1205 Calcutta 700

For the plugs Rainshadow 1087 and 1088 both with Calcutta 400's.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzajac View Post

Excellent . .. I have seen those Calcutta reels. . . sweet reels. Very classy looking reels.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzajac View Post

Your Wife's gonna get pissed if you keep using your daughters bike tires as bait
Old 03-17-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I've added a few since this I originally put up that post.

Montauk and all around plugging and eeling - AFAW 11' Estuary, Penn 706 for Montauk, Daiwa 5000 Surf Saltiga for Jersey beaches, 30# Ande braid - casts a mile, my favorite setup by far.

River jigging - Lami 9' Triflex, Abu Cardinal 870, 50# braid (forget what brand) - setup is heavy but tough as nails

Retro beach and Montauk plugging - 10' Fisher 8720, Penn 706 Greenie (Drilled out by a machinist friend and refinished by the Reel Restorer), 20# Fireline

Light plugging - 9' Arra XSRA1084, Daiwa Team Advantage 4500, 20# Stren Superbraid.

Medium Plugging and spook chucking - 9' 6" Lami XS 96 MHS, Crack 200, 20# Fireline

Pencil popping - Lami 1321M, Penn 706, 20# Fireline

3 Allstar BreakAway LDFC 119-2 (2 conventional, 1 spin)
One conventional
used for bait, Penn 146 Squidder with accurate frame and handle and 65# Stealth braid
One used for heavy plugging, Shimano 400 Conquest with 30# Stealth braid, also have a black 7000 Abu Big Game with 65# Stealth when I want to use it for bait.
The spinner is set up for bait with a Shimano 12000 Thunnus and 50# braid (forget the brand)

Fly - Redington RedFly 8 weight 13' spey rod, Ross Canyon Big Game reel
Sage 1090 DS 9 foot 10 weight, Orvis Battenkill Large Arbor V reel

Just for goofing around with heavy bait - 11' yellow glass Lami and an Alvey 650C5, spooled with about 3 miles of 20# Trilene.

2 Otter sit in kayaks set up for fishing for the kids and I'm looking to buy a sit on top setup for myself before spring.

Also a couple of boat and freshwater rod n reel setups and I'm sure some other stuff I'm forgetting.
This past year saw some things go and some new ones join the lineup. I'm getting more and more into the fly fishing thing and that was this years emphasis.

Got (getting) rid of the 11' Honey Lami, just don't use it enough, trading it for a 9/10wt RS2 Reddington fly reel.

The Redington is probably going on a Lami ET 108 10wt. The Lami was a good deal. I sent in a pair of broken Lami's that I've been meaning to get around to sending back for years - told them I was getting more into fly fishing and if they wanted to they could send me a fly blank rather then exact replacements for the two broken rods (fair deal since they don't even make one of the rods anymore) - they sent their brand new top of the line blank - Gotta love Lami service (I just have to build it by June)

Sold the Sage, used the money to buy (nearly steal) a 9wt LLBean (Loomis made) Orion rod, definitely an upgrade.

Traded some plugs for a Batson/Forcast 10' 3wt blank with guides and seat that I'm extending from the butt 18" to create an ultralight two handed overhead system. It's an experiment, if it doesn't work I'll change out the stripper guide to a 20 ring and make it an awesome Delaware river smallie spin setup

Found a 7' 6" Fenwick GFL 90-6f blank I didn't even know I had. Picked it up with a handful of other blanks a few years ago stuck it in a corner and forgot it. Could be fun for stalking the flats in Sept.

Sold the Reddington spey rod without ever using it, just a few casts over grass. When I bought it I didn't know there was a difference between spey casting and overhead casting - spey was not want I was looking for. Used the money to buy an Aussie Talon 9 wt two handed overhead in a charity auction. Did a good thing in the fight against cancer and upgraded my gear in one move

Picked up a TFO TICR 7w blank because I'm like a moth to a flame for a good deal. I've no idea when I'll get around to building this one.

Picked up an LLBean Double LL 8wt on closeout for the same reason I picked up the TFO, to good a deal to say no to. Got buyers remorse before I even took it out of the case and traded it that night for a Ross Cimmaron C-1 fly reel w/ extra spool for the new 3wt rod.

Won an Ebay auction for a Gremlin 2 wt rod and line. Basically an AmTak
Matrix Fly Rod with AmTak Halide guides - be fun in the Delaware for those 1 to 2 lb smallies that infest the areas we hang out at.

Got a Royal Coachman reel regularly $50 at Sports Authority for the huge price of $5 - I love it when you walk in with perfect timing on a closeouts Great reel for the 2 wt.

Scored an English made Cortland RimFly reel with a 7 weight Cortland 444 line for $10, again on ebay. No idea what I'm going to do with the reel but I can definitely use the line.

Built a 12ft AnyFish AnyWhere Universal Beach Rod. Knocked a foot off the butt and built it dual purpose. Its main use will be jigging the rivers and throwing huge plugs.

Sold my XS 101 MS. I still think it's a great rod but my AnyFish AnyWhere 11' Estuary and My Fisher 8720 put it back into 3rd position backup.

Got an used Ocean Kayak Drifter 12' yak for Xmas . Now I have one and both my boys have their own (the Otters) - just have to finish putting together the kayak trailer and we're good to go.
I'm toying with the idea of selling the Drifter before I even use it (anyone want a lightly used drifter with paddle and rod holder for $425??) The new Triton has been calling me, I can hear it in my sleep all the way from the Cabellas in Pa.

Added another Mitchel 498 PUM, and a set of Newelized Jigmasters - 500s (with a candy apple red aluminum spool), 500hs and a narrow spool model, to the reel arsenal but other then that I've been quiet on the spinning and conventional fronts.

Got some serious rod and trailer building to do over the next few weeks