2010 Striper Season - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Canada
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Canada Eastern Canada - Discussion & reports

Old 05-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Jay's Aquaria - http://jays_aquaria.webs.com

Default 2010 Striper Season

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has begun hitting the Stewiacke or Bay for stripers yet?

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Official Member

Default Re: 2010 Striper Season

We have been fishing the Gaspereau River a few times no luck yet, but have heard that several fish were taken at the Guzzel last week. A few fish were also taken further up the the Gaspereau River from were we fish. Looks like it is starting, also there have reports of heavy schools of gaspereau in the rivers.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:44 PM
First Mate

Lots if fish being caught in Shubie.The keeper season is over until June.Artificial lures only now.
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2010, 09:01 AM

skitterpop,
Where on the Gaspereau do most fish for Stripers? I've only gone to the Gaspereau for smelts in the past. Nice river and catching a striper in there would be great fun. Where also is the guzzel?

Butcha,
Which part of the Shubie do you usually hit? The Shad are in the Shubie and lots of people catching them in Elmsdale, near the 9 Mile River crossing. You must be fishing them further up the river? I've caught the odd striper in the Shubie/9 Mile river areas but nothing this year.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:59 PM
First Mate

I don't like to give out particular"spots", as I was kinda warned about it on here when I became active on this site, and after seein some crowds show up in areas I fish after a big fish was caught, I can understand.Most of the guys from N.B., are fishing pretty close to where the stewi. meets the Shubie.If the site is workin, you'll get more details on the N.S. fishing resource site.No hard feelings, but I won't "spot burn"
Old 05-15-2010, 11:19 PM

I wasn't asking for your "hot spot". More curious as to the general area of the river. Not a big deal. I'm from NS and have fished various parts of these Nova Scotian rivers (Shubie and the Stewiacke) before. I also know where the two rivers meet. :) The NS fishing forum has been down for about 3 months now. Nice, laidback forum when it was operating. Hopefully it will return soon. I've given a few people good fishing spots that have turned into a huge crowd as well. However, most people don't want to trek through a mile or two of dense forest to reach some of my spots. :P

I was catching American Shad today! Quite thick in the Nine Mile River right now. Being caught on spinning gear and fly. Oops, did I just give out a spot. lol

J
Old 05-17-2010, 12:52 PM
First Mate

Wasn't tryin to be a dink about the "spots" thing.From your reply I see you pay your dues.What time of year were you fishin the Shubie-Stewi.?I don't know how much you know about N.B., and the opening of the gates on the Peti. River?With the gates open, the Shad should be here soon.When did they start runnin there?They make good chunk bait for Stripers.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM

The Shad began to run around 3 weeks ago or so but they've been flooding the river this past week. I usually fish them on the Nine Mile River, not far from where it intersects with the Shubie R. in Elmsdale. The vast majority fish them in the Shubie about 3-400 yards away near the famous bridge. I find it too crowded there and quite dirty as casual fishermen leave their tim horton's cups and other trash on the banks... a shame really. I've heard they're running hard in the Stewie right now so I may take a spin up there next week with a friend. I'm actually more interested in trying my hand at shore fishing in the Bay of Fundy. I've never done that and I have a very nice reel that is in need of a SW baptism - Penn 850ssm! Hoping to hit Walton or Burntcoat.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:54 PM
First Mate

There's lots of good bay area not far from you.Along the bay near Truro, will start to get good in early June.Beach-Surf fishing is by far my favorite.
Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 PM
First Mate

Here's a few fish from last year, all from the Bay

, I don't know if you saw these pics or not Dave?
Old 05-20-2010, 04:37 PM
Veteran Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcha View Post
Here's a few fish from last year, all from the Bay!!

, I don't know if you saw these pics or not Dave?

Nice fish!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM

Hey Butcha,

Could you give me a rod recommendation? Or perhaps a few specs to look out for when selecting a rod for shore fishing? I've seen that Wal-Mart sells reel/rod surf combos but haven't tried or heard any reports on them. The local tackle shop in Halifax has them as well but since I already have a very good reel, I'm just looking for a decent rod recommendation.

Thanks,

J
Old 05-21-2010, 11:38 PM
First Mate

What do you have for a reel?There's not much for good quality surf rods in the Maritimes.There's a shop in Moncton that has so ok rods for a decent price.I bought my last surf rod there.It's nothin fancy, but it'll throw a 4 oz weight and Mack head out there, and it handel the fish well.Lots of good rods in the states you can get online.Be sure to get something at least 10ft, that can handle at least 4oz, and a big bait.I bought a couple of the walmart combos when I first started out.They caught Bass, but the rods don't handle the weight well, and the reels are garbage.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 AM

I have a Penn 850 ssm. I popped into Walmart tonight and they had a surf rod/reel combo for $59. It's some no name stuff but I may end up buying it as not much around. Fishing Fever had a surf rod/reel combo I believe by Okuma for $65 or so. I just don't need another big reel so I was hoping to get just the rod. The Wally world special was a 9footer but the reel looked quite cheap. I'd imagine shipping a surf rod in from the US would have expensive shipping so probably not worth it. I actually considered getting a Shimano travel surf rod but don't know anyone who has tried them.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:07 PM
First Mate

The shipping from the U.S. is not too expensive.Buy the Walmart crap if you want, but thats what it is.Crap .Are you ever in the Moncton area?You can get better rods in Moncton.Still not a great selection, but they'll handle the weight/bait, and get it out there, and most importantly,handle the fish.The owner of one of the stores in Moncton may even consider shipping you a rod.If you got your heart set on a Walmart rod, I'll sell you one for $20.