Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Havasu Derby 2010

10K views 28 replies 5 participants last post by  drifter023 
#1 ·
Anybody here going this year? I have been going the last seven years last year was not good but this year hopefully better on striper's.hello.gif P.S I am new here hope more post on the Havasu page I love fishing Havasu and have been looking for a Havasu site for a long time.:a_goodjob:

#5 ·
Where's a good spot to fish off the bank at Havasu? I'm shorebound and haven't ever fished Havasu. I fish Pleasant with anchovies all the time but I hear they're bigger up there. I'm tired of 2-4 pounders. Any advice appreciated.
Kurt, never fished from shore but night time would be your best bet I know they get some good ones from site six piers and from the shores by there. From site six to crazy horse camp ground lots of people drive down close to the water and fish at night most have 4x4's.

#8 ·
just got our confirmation on friday.#22 i hope there is a good turn out this year.If the turn out isnt good,i hope the new director for WON doesnt decide to pull the plug next year! We are headed up this weekend.I hope it is better this year than last,for sure. Got a few different things the wife and I are working on for this year.Stuff we havent tried b4.Hope fully it will help.
Where you guys staying? Let me know if you know anyone looking for a place to stay for the derby.I have one room open in the duplex I lease and there is one team in there so far.2bed/2bath fully furnished.Very cheap compared to the motel rates in Havasu.5 min from site 6.
Let me know or call me and ill give you more details.

Jeff 951-692-0331

#10 · (Edited)
Hey Thanks for the reply we are staying at the Nautical Inn I do fish with the wife. We usalley get some desent fish but last year all our spots had nada. Do you rent out all year because we run up there 3 or 4 times a year the wifes relatives all live up there but we always rent a place to stay keeps peace in the family:smile:. If I know somebody that needs a place for the derby will let you know do have 2 to 3 more friends going up but think they have a place to stay already will let them know in case they don't. We metered a lot of fish last month but nothing bit up around sandy point might try trolling alot this year. Hey good fishing hope you figure out something that works this year and bbq and beer is always good no matter what the fish do:gob_icon_cheers:. What happened to the old director he ran the derby great see you there.....

#11 ·
just got back...fished a few hrs yesterday with only 1 big crappie,1 2.5# lmb,1 smallie and 1 small striper to show for the effort.water was steady at 65 degrees and wind 15-20 steady..fished around havasu springs.tough to fish with 3 kids whom have 3 different ideas of what to do. will be there if not next weekend,prolly the following and will hit the stripers harder.we did see them schooled up pretty good in various spot and we are anxoius to get into the.the crappie i got HAMMERED a rapala ice jig in 28 ft. bass were on cranks and the striper took a trolled anchovie.

til next time,good luck!

Jeff

#16 ·
striperjim, you are right this is my grandbaby Alyssa with her first about two weeks ago will hook catch and eat. But still will not touch:smile:.

Jeff, will let you know if we find fish when we get there for sure we like to get some weigh in fish and just have a good time to us thats what it is all about.:smile: And win stuff in the raffle to....

#17 ·
we will definitly have to get a beer at the meeting! we are usually at the BOOYAA booth but i dont think we will have it there this year....WON is not showing the love to us as they have in the past..it is alot of work to set up and run the booth especially on the tourny days so I think Kris and I will fish and relax instead.But if the booth is set up,thats where we will be!

Jeff

#19 ·
Hey Guy's,

Just found this forum and wanted to say hello. My name is Bill Egan, and I am the new Tournament Director in charge of the 27th Annual Stripe Derby.

We al;ready have 127 team signed up for this years event, and we are working on some great stuff for this years event. Western Outdoor News is proud to have both Mercury and Bass Pro Shops Nitro Boats once again offering our Grande Raffle winners the Grand Prize X5 Nitro/Mercury package. There will be a Nautical Inn stimulus package scratcher worth a possible $50,000 for every angler that signs up with a team member. The tournament headquarters will once again be at the Nautical Inn, and discounted room rates are available both at the Nautical Inn and at the Quality Inn. The tourney is slated for the weekend of March 14th, 15th, and 16th. If you are interested in signing up, or reading more information regarding this event, please click on the link provided below.

http://www.wonews.com/c-29-striper-derby-lake-havasu-may-15-16-2010.aspx

We at WON look forward to seeing you all out there in Havasu.

Bill Egan
WON Tournament Director
billy@wonews.com
949-366-0030 x40

#21 ·
:welcomeaboard: Nice to see you on here Bill!! We (Wife and I) will be there with bells on,on monday the 9th..looking forward to it as always and hope the fishing is better than last year....fun nonetheless! Drifter,you look damn familiar!! prolly from past derbies..leaving the 29th for the weekend and hopefully start to hone in on these fish..will let you knopw as sonn as i find some!
What day you guys headed down there?

Jeff

#22 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the kind words and welcome.

I just got back last night from a recent trip out to the lake. The water level has come up a bit, and with the shad on the spawn, it spells "Hook Up" on the bass bite. Had some great luck in the evening hours around the marinas, with a custom top water rat a buddy of mine made. You can still find some bedding bass up in the shallows, but I am not much for bed fishing, as I like throwing the big baits. Took a mid afternoon ride down to the Southern end of the lake near Bill Williams arm, and found the birds pushing shad into the cuts. Decided to put on a nice big Swim Jig, and work the inside edge of the birds, and found a few nice 4# largies in the mix. As the sun began it's slow decent for sunset, the water started boiling all around, and these were not the massive moving balls of CARP, but were the right kind. So I tied on another custom top water bait designed specifically for the stripers, and it was only minutes, until the line sides were attacking the bait. Landed all in all, around 6 stripers all between 2 and 5 pounds. Had a few bigger ones that came un-buttoned in the battle. Had a great time on the water, and look forward to seeing everyone out there in mid May for the Lake Havasu Striper Derby held on May 15th and 16th.

http://www.wonews.com/c-29-striper-derby-lake-havasu-may-15-16-2010.aspx
949-366-0030 x40

#25 ·
Hey Guys,

We have a great turn out so far for this years tourney, and I wanted to let you guys know, that there are currently two boaters that are looking for partners in the Havasu Derby. If you are interested, but don't have a boat, this is a great way of getting into this years tourney. PM me if you are interested!

#27 ·
We are both fishing with our First mates (wifes) if I hear of someone that needs a partner will let you know. I have two other friends (2-teams) that are signed up and ready to GO.....
Jeff, looks like maybe I will leave Wednesday the 12th and get 2 1/2 days of hard fishing in.....

#28 ·
We are both fishing with our First mates (wifes) if I hear of someone that needs a partner will let you know. I have two other friends (2-teams) that are signed up and ready to GO.....
Jeff, looks like maybe I will leave Wednesday the 12th and get 2 1/2 days of hard fishing in.....
SWEET!! I THNK I PM'D YOU MY #...CALL ME WHEN YOU GET DOWN THERE AND WE'LL HAVE TO STRATEGIZE FOR THE IMPENDING SLAYAGE :smiliegrd::smiliegrd:...AGAIN WE WILL BE THERE THIS SUNDAY AND WILL HOPEFULLY HAVE A LITTLE INSIGHT B4 YOU GET THERE..:banana:

JEFF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.