Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Arizona State Record Caught Dec. 7th 2009

7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  CaptainMorgan! 
#1 ·
I saw this article a little while back but I couldn't find it here.

http://azgfd.net/artman/publish/NewsMedia/State-record-striper-caught-during-major-storm.shtml

I may be heading out to Lake Pleasant tomorrow to try my hand at Stripe Bass fishing. I have picked up some new tackle. Does anyone have any tips for winter stripe bass fishing this lake? I have tried a few different techniques with only a little success. I would love to hook into some good ones. I think I am going to try trolling tomorrow, maybe some jigging... any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

#2 ·
The Arizona Record is also the the all tackle world record.

The Inland Striped Bass Record - Colorado River Waters -- Hook and Line
67 lb. 1.0 oz. 47.5 in. Colorado River, Willow Beach
Jeff Smith, Henderson, NV 8/15/97

That record must be considered other than Colorado River inland, at 28 pounds.

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/gallery/index.php?n=245

#3 ·
Yeah I am pretty sure its "other than the Colorado River"

Alright so last weekend I trolled a little and dropped some anchovies and didn't get anything. We could see some large schools on the finder but couldn't get them to bite, I think I was too shallow. Most seemed to be in the 45-65 ft depft range.

This weekend I'm going to try again. Here's what I am thinking, suggestions welcome. Early morning I am thinking of trolling a Magnum Rapala or an 8" Castaic (Gizzard Chad) with a Dipsy Diver(just bought one) at around 50 ft. I may also troll a Kastmaster or a slightly smaller Rapala on a second rod in the 15-25ft range early in morning. If I see some surface activity I may switch to a Zara Spook or a shallow running crankbait.

Any other ideas?

#4 ·
PHOENIX - Noel Arnold of Wittmann was fishing at Lake Pleasant and decided to try a water dog in the wee hours of the morning on Aug. 8, and caught a new inland state record striped bass weighing 27.28 pounds and measuring 42.25 inches long.

In fact, Arnold was planning to catch just one more fish before catching some sleep so he meet his dad in the morning to fish for largemouth bass at first light. He ended up not getting any sleep. But he doesn't mind.

Arnold's monster striper shatters the existing inland state record of 23-pounds, 8-ounces that measured 39.25 inches long that was caught from Alamo Lake on May 3, 1997 by David Jackson of Phoenix. The previous inland state record is the only known striper to be caught at Alamo Lake.

Arnold caught his new state record while fishing 45 feet down while anchored in 100 feet of water in the upper half of Lake Pleasant in the general area of the 1702 sign.

Arnold was night fishing beneath artificial lights while using frozen anchovies most of the evening to catch 1- to 5-pound stripers. He decided to hook up a large, 7-inch water dog on a Texas rig using 12-pound test line. The fight lasted more than 40 minutes.
"It took forever to land the fish. It kept stripping off line time and again," Arnold said, but he finally subdued the powerful striper.

Arnold is an avid angler and hunter who has caught more than 500 stripers from Lake Pleasant in the past year. He plans to have the record fish mounted.

Arizona Game and Fish Department biologists said the fish was in excellent condition. According to estimates by research biologist Bill Stewart, who conducted the striped bass study at Lake Pleasant, the record striper was probably 13-14 years old. That means this fish was likely one of the original invaders from the Central Arizona Project Canal when the new Lake Pleasant was completed 15 years ago.

http://www.azgfd.gov/artman/publish/article_805.shtml

Attachments

#5 ·
http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/state_records.shtml

Travis - The one you posted topped the one above

Angler reels in a fishing bonanza at Lake Pleasant

PHOENIX - While most people were huddled indoors out of the torrential rain on Dec. 7 when a major winter storm pummeled the state, John Davis was enjoying a fishing bonanza at Lake Pleasant, including landing a new inland state record striped bass.

"I've never experienced anything quite like it, they were hitting topwater all day long in the rain. It was really something," Davis said.

Arizona Game and Fish Department officials say John's monster striper weighed in at 28.58 pounds and measured 45.7 inches long. He caught the behemoth on a Zara Super Spook, which is a topwater lure.

What's more, he was the only angler out there braving the storm, and reaping the benefits.

John said the behemoth striper actually hit the lure twice without being hooked, but came back a third time. John was amazed he could even land the fish - it ran like a runaway freight train, tearing off line and it took him some time to subdue the giant.

Davis would like to have the striper mounted, or at least have a replica of it created.

Davis, a Phoenix resident, routinely fishes Lake Pleasant, but said he has never seen such phenomenal topwater action before. "The stripers were in a feeding frenzy in Humbug Cove. I was getting multiple hits on my topwater lures, all day long. It was amazing."

John said the sometimes it rained very hard, but the wind didn't blow, so it wasn't too bad out there. "Actually, it was kind of nice."

It's always nice when you hit the jackpot. John caught and mostly released around 50 stripers during his rain-soaked, day-long fishing bonanza.

Game and Fish biologists said research studies at Lake Pleasant have shown that the majority of striped bass congregate in the northern coves during winter, especially over submerged creek and river channels.

"The striper fishing at Lake Pleasant has really taken off the past several years. In fact, the striper bite last winter was pretty remarkable - anglers were routinely catching dozens of fish. It looks like we are off to a good start again this winter," said Fisheries Chief Kirk Young.

Lake Pleasant has not always had stripers, but it is the only lake in the state with white bass. However, when the Waddell Dam was raised in the early nineties, Central Arizona Project water from the Colorado River began being pumped into this popular desert reservoir on the Agua Fria River. Eventually, striped bass from the Colorado River got into the lake.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.