Surf Casting Live Eels - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. > Shorebound - Surf Beginners
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Shorebound - Surf Beginners Information for the Shorebound angler

Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 PM

Default Surf Casting Live Eels

Is there any preferred rig for this? I've never tried it. Though i may give it a try one night this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Surf Casting Live Eels

Welcome aboard.

If you do a search for "live eels" you'll find all the info you need on the subject. This question has been asked and answered in great depth an extraordinary number of times.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:58 PM

thank you sir
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 PM

One more time

Here's what I use:

90# Spro swivel (the tiny one)
Tied to 4' of 30# quality fluorocarbon leader
5/0 or 6/0 depending on the size of the eels Gami Octopus hook
I keep a few leaders pretied and labeled in small ziplock bags in a leader wallet
Name:  Ziplockbags2x2.jpg
Views: 5704
Size:  1.8 KB
The leader is tied to the running line and replaced when scraped or nicked or after a bigger fish puts undue strain on it
If there's too much current to get the eel to the bottom I'll put the lightest possible egg sinker required on the main line in front of the leader

All knots are palomars, the hooks are snelled on. If you can't tie a good snell then use a Palomar (I've never trusted the "fast" snell knot, they like to unwind)

Name:  Palomar_Knot.gif
Views: 9779
Size:  9.2 KB

The eel is hooked up through the bottom of the jaw and out the eye socket
They work almost as well dead as alive.
I prefer 1 to 4 oz rated medium action rods
I use both spinning and conventional reels
Most spinning reels have 20# Fireline on em
All conventionals have Berkley Stealth braid on em
I like 6500 size Abu's with levelwind

Each eel is placed in it's own sandwich sized ziplock bag
The bags are all placed in the main pouch of an Aquaskinz belt pouch
Name:  AquaskinzLargePouchEels.jpg
Views: 5726
Size:  20.0 KB
A small frozen plastic ice block is placed in with em, helps keep the eels calm.
Hook em right through the bag and pull through (take your garbage out with you!!!)

Retrieve SLOWLY
Rod tip high, when a fish picks up the eel lower the tip to point straight at it, the moment you feel weight cross his eyes.
If your using circle hooks lift gently (that's a whole 'nuther thread)
Old 06-17-2009, 08:10 AM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Sudsy. That was the best and quickest discription on rigging eels I have come across in 50 something years of fishing.

How big are the eels and how long do they live in the sealed ziploc sandwich bag?

I usually carry mine in a dollar store CD Disc box with ice in a zip lock bag on the bottom with a damp dishrag between the ice and the eels.

Your individual zip lock bag, and hooking them thru it method just retired the CD Disc box. I use a 6600 Abu levelwind on my 8 foot Tica MH rod. I use 20# Vanish mono line.

How do you like the braided line compared to mono?
Old 06-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Veteran Elite

Sudsy nailed it. The rod tip high is HUGE. Also throw away that Vanish. I'm not the only one who has had problems with it just breaking apart tying knots. Get some Ande or Calcutta. Calcutta is made by Seagar but less expensive. I always toss an eel in my pants for good luck
Old 06-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Veteran Elite

My bad I didn't read your last post thoroughly. Not sure about the vanish mono but the flo-carbon sucks. Braid is good especially eeling. You can even feel the eel fart sometimes with braid. I like it.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:26 PM

I prefer eels around 12" long

If that's Vanish Fluorocarbon line chuck it straight into the trash, the stuff is complete and total garbage. Don't know about any Vanish mono but the second i hear the name Vanish I immediately think garbage

An 8' Tica MH with a conventional reel is about as bad an eeling setup as you can get but can still fish with.
The rod is too stiff and too short to be able to make a halfway decent cast.
I prefer 9 to 10' rods rated 1 to 4 with a softer medium to slow action
Eeling is the one remaining place where fiberglass rods can still out fish graphite.

The eels live all night in the baggies
Old 06-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Sudsy,

Vanish Begone to night! I have a Cabela's 11' spining Surf Rod that has a much softer nature.

I'll have to shop around for a medium conventinal rod to match up with my 6600 Abu.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:22 AM
First Mate

Hello All, New member here. Been many years since fishing hard for stripers. Most of that was in MA, on the Cape.
RJC I see that you are using a ABU 6600, I also have just started to outfit my 20+yr old ABU 6600C for stripers and such. How does the rod you are using work for you. I right now need to get a new rod mostly for surf, from land. I have a rod to switch over if fishing from a boat.
My reel is like brand new as it was in the box for umpteen years but I'm still up grading it with carbon drags, worm gear with bearings then new spool bearings.
Years ago as I'm sure now eels are still the bomb. Being an old New England boy the fishing in June up there was great. How is the shore fishing in NJ for stripers in June/summer? Is it worth my time or should I just head north

Thank you all
Old 06-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Striper Hunter

My 6600 is about 10, possibly 12 years old. I like it, but my bait rods have always been broom sticks. Sudsey has pointed me to a softer rod than I've been using. I fish flys mostly, but like to surf fish with plugs and metal a half a dozen times a year. And bait on the beach two or three time a year. I fish herring in chunks and live for stripers way up the Hudson, during the striper spawning run. Most of that is done anchored up or drifting the edge of the ship channel.

I live in the Northeastern Mountians of PA near Scranton now and is is closer to Sandy Hook than I've been the past 20 years. I still have friends "down the shore" and expect to fish the beach more often this summer and especially this fall.

The fishing is, in my memory, better now than in the early 1980's There were fish there then, and now there are a lot more. I used to tin boat fish thru the surf at Monmouth beach back in the day, with gentlemen called Ozzie, Primo and Chink. Duck hunted with them too. Chink is now in TN, Primo in VA and Oz is still hanging his shingle in the Highlands.

If you have to drive pass the NJ Beaches and Bays to get to Cape Cod or beyond, I'd definately save the fuel and learn the Jersey Shore.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
I used to tin boat fish thru the surf at Monmouth beach back in the day, with gentlemen called Ozzie, Primo and Chink. Duck hunted with them too. Chink is now in TN, Primo in VA and Oz is still hanging his shingle in the Highlands.
And I was one of the guys on the Little Monmouth jetty watching you crazy bastages.
Sand replenishment killed the cartopper launching as well as the fishing from the wall but if things keep up the way they are we may see both make a comeback.
The water is just about to the wall again at Jenkins Corner. Another year or two and/or a good storm and it could be just like old times
Old 06-18-2009, 04:40 PM
First Mate

RJC you say your from the Scranton area. I think thats not to far from me as I live on Lake Hopatcong which is a few miles off Rt 80 at RT 15. I have landed a few small wipers in the lake along with about every other fish in it. The shore is about 3 hours closer for me than MA, but it's nice to see tha family now and then. I will give the shore a few shots and see. I pretty much missed the run on the Hudson, was at Newberg 1st week of June and it was dead, no action anywhere. A few weeks earlier they where hitting them big time.
I was mainly thinking MA as I miss the Cape and the canel and Bass River and everywhere else can be great. I'm also trying to get my brother in law convinced we need to go out to Naragansett in his boat
Old 06-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Striper Hunter

Newburgh got shut out for the first week and part of the second week in May on big fish. They slipped by Newburgh and Kingston in the night and the troops from Saugerties, Malden, Catskill, Athens and Coxsackie were into 40-inch plus fish most of the spawning run. You need ot go higher in the Hudson water column and May is the time to be there.

The quickest shot for you to the shore would be back country roads to I-78 East to I-287 South to The GSP to Route 36 and due east to Sandy Hook.

Enjoy the summer, Perhaps we will bump into each other some night on the beach.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:21 PM
First Mate

Default How To Fish Eels From Surf?

I'm kinda new to the whole Striper fishing scene and I have heard alot about fishing eels from the shoreline with surf poles. I understand how to rig them but i was wondering if anyone could give me a few pointers on how to fish the eel? For example I have heard that when u feel a hit you can either count to ten then set the hook or u can set the hook right away. Is there a preference to which one is better or more successful? And I was wodnering how one should work the eel when reeling it in or is it better to just let it sit. Thanks.