Fish finder - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-30-2009, 08:54 PM
First Mate

Default Fish finder

Hey all.I want to start using a sinker slide this season, as I'm sure I'm missin fish.I was checkin out the ones offered at causewaybait and tackle.Are some better than others?Don't know jack about them, and am not afraid to spend the $ for quality.Thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Fish finder

missin fish? when did they leave you?
elaborate> what are you doing to miss a fish?
long time no see btw?????

Old 05-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Veteran Striper Chaser

How are you going to use it??? Surf, boat,riverbank. After what kind of fish??? For surf or beach i use a fishfinder with a piramid sinker(4-8oz) with about 22-24"from the sinker to a CORKnext to an eagle claw l144 4/0 hook with 1-4 seaworms on the hook for bass. Forboat or river i use a diferent setup, mostly a 2-4oz bank sinker trolling the same hook without the cork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2009, 10:37 PM
First Mate

Missin fish as in they are droppin the bait when they feel the weight.There are alot of Tomcod in the area where I fish stripers, and they are constantly on the bait, though some of the strikes feel too big for the cod, but no hook-up, just a good pull.I'm using chunks or clams from the surf.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

go to ebay and key "sinker slides" and the yellow "braid friendly" ones are what you want. are you using a spinning/conventional/baitrunner reel?

Old 06-04-2009, 11:04 PM
First Mate

Thanks.I have a new Shimano Baitrunner on the way, and will be usin that.It will be a nice upgrade from the walmart garbage I was usin last year!
Old 06-20-2009, 08:55 PM
First Mate

Do you guys use a heavier line for your leader when using a sinker slide, or the same as what's on the reel?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:39 PM

The slide goes on the main line not the leader
Old 06-21-2009, 12:36 AM
First Mate

In the past I've always added several feet of top shot leader to the mainline in those areas rocky areas where a mainline may get frayed. Otherwise I would have just run the fish finder over the mainline.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

in regard to baitfishing''''''
i don't wanna confuse him with this one. BUT,
if one extra knot is a bad thing for some and is spooking them so be it.
just before i knot the alberto on the leader i put the sinkerslide on and then a bead.
after the knot i seal the knot with a bead of knot sense (the UV one is good in the field as long as the sun is out as it dries immediately)
bear in mind my leader is only 30-36 inches long. (this type of application is bad for alot of reasons but for where i sometimes bait fish i need the line to go thru the slide without it picking up the weight and sometimes when a heavy leader goes thru the slide sand gets wedged in the slide and you have that problem of the weight getting picked up and SPITTTTT!
this is one item for this thread nobody expects and or worries about as it is rigged right isn't it?

1. albright on braid to leader
2.uni to swivel
3.uni to swivel on
4.snelled hook
some rod tips are not braid friendly so a long leader onto the reel has been suggested by me in the past.
unless you are confident in your knot ability i suggest the least amount of knots as possible.
i busted my camera or i would make a rig and take a pic for reference.
the only thing bad about this is the braid sliding thru the plastic. and a tip to anyone wanting to try to do this is to make sure there is no excess plastic from the mold in or around the opening of the slide for the line to get frayed. and even though i would rather have sand in my sinkerslide jamming it in the fluoro then in the braid, "as that could fray the line or catch just the same", i have not had to worry as most of the time a fish will only get to run a couple of feet before his eyes are crossed, and that little amount of damage i can live with if it were ever to occur. and for another thing that sometimes "when the fishing is bad" and the bait is down too long (a mistake as one should change thier bait at least every 15 minutes) and bingo>>> a spidercrab has fouled your braid... this is the only reason i don't suggest this to anyone as the braid is way too close to the bait with a short leader. i use a black tape to wrap around the snap to avoid any fouling of the line around the clip as that has happened to me once or twice
alot of bullshit to do? maybe. but i know what's down there waiting for me.
yea i know "a skate" ha ha... as i also know what's out here waiting for me..

Old 06-21-2009, 10:56 PM
First Mate

That is a good point about the finder getting stuck. I use mono mainline to a 40# mono leader that requires a simple albright knot. The braided friendly fish finder is large enough to slide freely from leader to mainline. If however I am using a heavy shock leader then there is more than enough line not to worry about the fish finder jamming. Even so I still use the braided friendly fish finder that works great.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimno1
but i know what's down there waiting for me.
yea i know "a skate" ha ha... as i also know what's out here waiting for me..
If it swims out there you will catch it. I seen you catch a skate on a freekin bucktail and a sea herring on a fly rod.
Who gives a crap they think its funny.
The skate on a bucktail was pretty funny though.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCaster View Post
That is a good point about the finder getting stuck. I use mono mainline to a 40# mono leader that requires a simple albright knot. The braided friendly fish finder is large enough to slide freely from leader to mainline. If however I am using a heavy shock leader then there is more than enough line not to worry about the fish finder jamming. Even so I still use the braided friendly fish finder that works great.
the sucker gets caught at the albright on the braid/mono knot while sliding on my leader. if that's the case then surely it is hitting that one of yours with mono. the moment that knot hits the plastic and moves the weight a smart fish will feel it. i can move the knot thru the plastic by hand but with the angle your line is in the water that aint happenin. most hits will get set before you even need that much line but on the sneak attack they will spit it before ya know what hit ya. there is a method to the madness.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:44 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
the sucker gets caught at the albright on the braid/mono knot while sliding on my leader. if that's the case then surely it is hitting that one of yours with mono. the moment that knot hits the plastic and moves the weight a smart fish will feel it. i can move the knot thru the plastic by hand but with the angle your line is in the water that aint happenin. most hits will get set before you even need that much line but on the sneak attack they will spit it before ya know what hit ya. there is a method to the madness.
Well, fortunately I have not had that problem when I run a long enough length of topshot leader matched to the larger diameter braid finder rig. That 15# to 20# mono tied to 40# leader is not really going to make a huge knot. Penn makes a very small diameter leader mono compared to most others like Ande or Hi Seas. Even when I have had bass pick it up and come back later to take the bait it has not been a problem. I think more often they feel the resistance of the freespool clicker on casting reels, which why to this day I still hold my rod.

Interesting about the angle and how it could affect the fish finder. Most times I hit the 75 yard range and the angle is very small that it does not affect the finder. I am not casting in deep water. I cold see a problem if you are using it in weedy conditions that would not be a good idea. I am firm believer that whatever works then go for it as long as you are having fun.
Old 06-23-2009, 01:13 PM
First Mate

Thanks.I got the basic idea of how the rig is set up.I was lookin at pics of the set up on the Beginners 101 starters kit.So the bead goes on after the slide, to keep it from banging on the swivel knot?I don't use braid, and don't think I need the carbon leader as I'm fishin in muddy water conditions.last year I was just using a 6-8 circle hook about a foot above a 3-4 ounce weight, and I was catching fish, though I started noticing the pick up and drop also.