Oregon Striper fisherman need help - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > Oregon
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-01-2009, 02:18 AM

Default Oregon Striper fisherman need help

Ok here is the DEAL! I'm completely new to fishing for stripers that come from salt water to fresh water to spawn i was raised in southern California and grew up fishing on the Colorado river for catfish and small and largemouth bass and we would occasionally catch a stripper while fishing.They were the most awesome fish i have ever caught . Butt i could never target them with the other species around.Now i live in Oregon (Eugene) and steelhead is king here for fight butt i know a striper is equal or more so in fight equal to its weight.I have talked to many ah people about this fish and all have little or no knowledge of how,when, or where to catch them.I have read alot on this forum and went to fish the smith this last week for stripers and had no success, no hits,except for one bullhead catfish we caught on a cut Herring and that was it any help would be appreciated we are fishing from the mouth of the north fork of the smith down stream to the nearest boat launch we were using cut Herring and seven inch rapalas all night and had no takes except the catfish please spread the knowledge thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2009, 07:59 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Oregon Striper fisherman need help

Hi there! Sorry,, I'm not at all familiar with your area, but did want to welcome you to the site! Be sure to check out the threads in the Stripers 101 forum as there's a ton of info there for the reading that can apply where ever you might be fishing.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:38 AM
drilltrash

Default Re: Oregon Striper fisherman need help

check this post, might help https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=10992

also, i fish the sacramento river in northern california for fish that are comming up from the saltwater to spawn. fish current breaks, back water, sand bars, flats and rock banks. If you have boat access, take a boat ride on the river and find some areas with a lot of structure and just drift down fishing all your key areas. easy way to cover a lot of water and save some gas! keep track of them on there travel to there spawning grounds. find a tackle shop that has info on the run. typically they can give you a good idea of when they will be in your area that way your not fishin for them way early.

some lures that i have to have are super spooks for topwater, rat-l-traps, jerk baits, swimbaits and also rubber worms. fishing is best early morning and 2-3 hours before dark. a lot of guys swear by black rubber worms at night. Personally, nothing beats gettin into them on topwater. if you get a 10 lber on a spook thats all you'll look forward to every year.

A lot of guys will drift minnows down the banks. they have success doing that, very productive. also, sardiens or anchovies work. if your fishing off the bank, try and find public access to some of the above named areas to fish. if not available, try fishing the break under a bridge. i fish them quite often with some success.

i hope some of this info will help get you started. tight lines! and welcome!