freshwater rod and reel setup for Raystown - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Sweetwater Fishing -Freshwater Stripers Freshwater fishing discussion. Articles on tactics and techniques for freshwater stripers as well as Bass & other species.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Official Member

Default freshwater rod and reel setup for Raystown

I put this post in stripers 101 but thought it might do me some good to put it in here as well.

New to land-lock stripers and looking for suggestions. I will be fishing Raystown Lake located in Pennsylvania from shore in the spring and was thinking of running 15lb braid( 6lb mono diameter) with a mono leader on a 7ft medium heavy ugly-stick with spinning reel which would give me about 300 yards of line to play with. Would this be a reasonable setup or should I go with something more like the Shakespeare big cat/striper rods? Any suggestions and/or links pointing to certain setups would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: freshwater rod and reel setup for Raystown

I fish Raystown, but from a boat. Some of the people I have met around the lake were using braided line for their bank fishin. Some very large carp and cats in the lake.The size they was using I dont know, but I do think the set up you described sounds fine, I use 17LB to 20LB mono from the boat.
Good luck on Raystown.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:14 AM
Official Member

Thanks for the reply. Been on a few guided trips and until my buddy gets his boat we are going to be stuck to the shore. Just wanted something light enough to throw plugs from evening till morning but still have enough line and strength to fight them. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Striper Hunter

The rod and line choice sound fine, but in my experience, most spinning reels with front disc drag won't stand up to a striper's powerful run. Better off with a good baitcaster. ABU Garcia 6500 series are a time tested standard, but a little heavy for casting plugs all day. You can get away with a levelwind, but the spool capacity is usually no more than about 120 yards of 12 mono...of course the braid is smaller diameter, so I'd go as large a braid as you can can cast comfortably with sufficient distance. Check out the reels by Pflueger or the Okuma lines. Sportsman's Liquidation Outlet has some great reels at WAY less than MSRP.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:51 PM
drilltrash

kinda depends in my oppinion. when i first started i used an ugly stick while bait fishing and didnt like it because i felt everytime i set the hook the rod bent in half and reduced hookup ratio. i now use my LMB set ups. for a decent set up i use a shimano clarus rod (http://fish.shimano.com/publish/cont..._Casting0.html) and shimano cruxis reel (http://www.basstackledepot.com/shimanocruxis.aspx) spooled with 20 lb florocarbon line. higher end i use a Dobyns 705C (http://www.basstackledepot.com/dobyns-rods.aspx) and a shimano chronarch b (http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanochronarchb.html). These setups will handle a 15 lb fish pretty well. but it depends on the size of the fish your waterway holds. over here in northern california 20 lbs is a really good fish. hope this can help you in some way! good luck!
by the way, i use those rods for throwin lures, not bait fishing.

Last edited by drilltrash; 06-19-2009 at 11:52 PM. Reason: left out last sentence.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Striper Hunter

If I was using braid I would use 20 or 30 pound.I think 15 is a little light for your application.