What length rod / size reel? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-30-2009, 09:42 AM

Default What length rod / size reel?

I'm new to striper fishing and I am looking to get a rod mainly for plugging and maybe try out some bucktails, etc. I am going to be fishing off the Kennebec / rocks at Popham beach in Maine with it. I have a cheap, heavy 10' rod that I am going to use for bait but it's a beast to haul around. So far, I think plugging is more fun for me so I want to focus on that. I've tried throwing bigger plugs and larger swimbaits with the heavy 10'. After a day of casting, it's tiring and cumbersome.

I see all these people around with 7' and 8' rods all over the place, but when I read the forums everyone suggests 9' minimum and most say at least 10' for anything from the shore, even jetties, etc. I'm looking for something light and handy to use but I don't want to go too small. I saw a 7' "striper" rod at llbean and I'm wondering if I could get away with using it. for the bigger rods, I've also been looking at the St. Croix Triumph surf rods and they have a 7',8',and 9' model that I can get a really good deal on. When fishing from the rocks, the stripers aren't always a hundred yards out so I don't feel like I need to cast that distance all the time anyways.

I don't need exact brand or rod suggestions, just a general idea of what length/style rod and what size reel would compliment it for my uses. I'm currently using 20lb mono but I'm interested in trying braided line on some people's recommendations. There's so much information out there that I'm kind of confused. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 PM

Default Re: What length rod / size reel?

When the wind is in your face and rollers are hitting you in the chest you dont want a 7 or 8 foot rod. Medium heavy 1 to 4 ounce - 17 to 40 pound test. 9 or 10 foot.
Balance the reel to the rod. I dont go over 24 ounces plugging.
19 ounces is perfect for me on a 10 footer.
Everyone likes something different. Some are strictly conventional.
I like spinning rods and reels.
I use ~ 16 ounce reel on the 9 footer.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Striper Hunter

When I started this year I was using a 10' Daiwa or 12' Ugly stick. Both with baitrunner 6500 reels. Very heavy

Then for my birthday I got a 9' St Croix Legend Surf rod and a Shimano Stella 5000sw reel. Super light and yet strong. Great feel. Can plug all day long without feeling it. Rated Medium / heavy and will throw from 3/4 - 4 oz of weight. I find the 2 3/8 weight plugs cast a long distance like needlefish and the polaris popper. When I max out at 4 oz it does not cast as far.

When you go shopping for your set up make sure you try different reels in the rod you like. Get a feel for the balance and fit for you. Most places will spool on the line for free if you purchase the whole set up from them. If you go with braided line make sure they or you spool it on properly by 1st putting on a one wrap of electrical tape and then about 10 yards of monofilament line 1st and then attach the mono line to the braided line with an albright knot and then spool on the main line to within about an 1/8 inch of being full on the reel. Plus you want to keep the braided line wet when it is spooled on. Believe me I learned the wrong way to spool a reel with braid and now having done it the right way it makes a huge difference. Go with a 50lb test on the braid and 30lb test on the mono backing

I'd highly recommend getting a well made lighter weight set up and stay at 10' length or under. I love the 9' size.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2009, 09:43 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

what do you want to spend?
TSRS100M2 10' this will set you back 120.00 or so
it's rated to 4oz but there are cheaper rods but not by much.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:13 PM

I think I'm about set on the St Croix Triumph 9'. I can get a discount on St Croix rods so I can get a better rod than I would normally be able to afford. It's much lighter than what I have and it seems pretty decent.

I'm still debating which reel and what size reel I will go with. I might not be able to afford one right away depending. The Shimano Stradic ST5000FI looks like a decent reel and I can get a really good price on one.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 AM

There's nothing wrong with a St Croix Stradic combo

The Stradic, however, is not a reel that likes to get dunked. If you're high and dry up on the rocks it's a fine reel, if you're in the water with the reel going under now and again, not so good.

If you do get the stradic it's a reel that requires some minor daily maintenance. Rinse it after each trip and don't leave it attached to the rod for long periods of time The ends of the feet will rot under the reel seat covers.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:43 AM

Do you have any suggestions for a reel that is around that price range or less that would be a little more resistant to the elements?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:53 PM

To be honest, no - not from personal experience, at least no new reels in the $125 range that are out there today.

I'd get a Penn 704z or 710 off Ebay depending on which size you prefer, clean it up and pack it with Corrosion Block brand grease.

As for new reels I haven't played with one yet but I hear some good stuff about the Doug Hammon Wavespin with the saltwater upgrades. However, the biggest one only holds about 150 yards of 20# braid
Old 07-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Veteran Elite

The wavespins are crap. Go with the Penn on Ebay you'll be glad you did. Solid easy to maintain reels.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 PM

Buy this immediately

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17457
Old 07-09-2009, 04:35 PM

you can never go wrong with St. croix or the Stradic. I like to use either the 7' 6" premier inshore series or the tide master series. All star also makes first rate inshore rods that are a bit less pricey. If money is not an object, pick up the 8'6" Star plasma inshore series. I agree that stronger and lighter is the way to go. You can throw that thing all day. Down here in the winter we have to break out the big guns for snookin' around bridges, chunking 4 oz redtail hawk jigs with a broom stick and a boat winch sucks. It is like lifting weights and if the fish aren't there it gets tedious. Lighter is the way to go. 10 footers are for pole vaulting. tight lines
Old 07-11-2009, 12:24 PM

The tides heights are two feet down in the Gulf and in Florida. 9 feet in New York and 40 feet in Nova Scotia.

In Hattaras they use breakaway heavers that are 13 feet.
You need them to get distance. Breakaways are very light.

Surfcasters in Montauk all use 11 footers.
My 10 foot Lami is like a magic wand.
I have a 10 foot Premier as well. Love it for bait.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Official Member

Well in my opinion since i just got my Striper stuff too since im just starting out like you i bought a cheaper end surf rod 10' Tournament Series 15-30 lb Line, 1-4 oz lure; matched the rod up with a Penn Battle 6000 with 50lb Hi-Vis braided power pro line and leader line is about a length of 3ft offshore angler 50lb mono and the two lines are connected by doing the alberto knot which is the only "knot" i use for connecting braid to mono or fluoro. and for connecting the line to lure i use a 50lb tactical anglers clip and then thats directly latched to any lure u want. hope this helps. tight lines