Venice La Redfish - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Saltwater Species
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Species Whatever else you're catching or want to catch. Cod / Tuna / Fluke / Blues / Weakfish / Tataug / Sea Bass / Flounder / Shark / Snook / Bonefish / Tarpon / Redfish / Barracuda / Sea Trout / Cobia, etc...

Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Official Member

Default Venice La Redfish

With the weather being completely horrible for the past few weeks down here in South Louisiana we have not been able to do much fishing. Finally on Friday I was able to get a trip scheduled on a fishable day and the lower Mississippi River Delta did not disappoint.

Winds were forecasted to be around 30 knts and temps in the lower 40's....not to fun. However conditions never deteriorated to that point. Instead we were greeted by temps in the upper 40's and winds less than 10. Not to bad for a late winter day. we left Venice Marina just after daylight and headed down to one of my favorite spots this time of year. As I pulled into the secret marshy cove I noticed the water color was not quite what I had hoped for but we tried it anyway. This first spot gave up 4 fish and about 4 lost fish. The lost fish theme would play out the rest of the day! The fish seemed to be really lethargic, barely pulling our popping corks only half way under on the strike and then only giving about a 50% effort on the fight. I told my guys to just be patient, the best bite would be mid day on after the tide had started to fall and the water temps came up slightly.

At about noon I pulled into another of my long time favorite late winter honey holes. This one was a little popular in mainstream circles, but on this day there was not a boat in sight. We started casting against the broken roseau cane bank and it started to happen. Problem was that almost every fish was lost! It was the weirdest thing as my guys were setting the hook well, getting line stripping action and then nothing....the hooks would just pull. The good thing is that the bites were frequent and the fish were NICE! We literally hooked and lost 40+ fish while working our way to a limit. These fish were mostly in the 26-30" range so we had to cull through quite a few for our "unders", but thats a GREAT problem to have!

The pattern started off with us having to cast into the pockets against the solid cane behind the broken stubble. The bite was slow and you had to almost let the bait sit motionless. The fish would just barely bob the cork and then slowly drag it off. Almost like a stingray! As the tide fell and the water warmed slightly the fish pulled out the edge of the broken cane stubble and the action heated up pretty good. Usually I'm able to stick the power pole and just work the school, but on this day the fish were just consistently scattered up and down the bank....you had to just keep moving along SLOWLY.

All in all it was one heck of a day considering the time of year. AS spring approaches the fishing will just continue to get better and better. Thats what so amazing about fishing here in Venice, LA....even in a off time of year we are still catching some fantastic fish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4145.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	16320  

Last edited by JakeF; 03-08-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: removed unauthorized advertizing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement