What size boat??? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Albemarle Sound
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Albemarle Sound A forum for the Albemarle sound guys

Old 11-01-2012, 09:04 AM
Official Member

Default What size boat???

Hi, I am trying to get some info about what size boat and motor would be good to fish the sound stipers and could also be used it fish the creeks like Sawyer and Hulls and Northwest river. Any info would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Official Member

Default Re: What size boat???

Well keep this in mind. How many folks fishing with you, kids or adult fishermen, do you want a trolling motor for the creeks.
Low sides and no bow rail are a must for trolling motor.
Kids casting rattle traps need lots of room.
Two adults, two tackle boxes, cooler, life jackets, rods fill up a boat fast. Low sides can be a little scary in the sound on a winter day but anything with high sides is a pain in the creeks.
I don't think size is what you need to be thinking about but sinse that was your question...17' with 2 adults.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM
Lunker

Smile Re: What size boat???

Well my son has a 20ft SeaPro and he and I fish out of it in the sound, in the creeks, in the ocean (when it is not to rough). We use his boat vice my bass boat when we are fishing bass tournaments and it is too rough on the sound for my boat. I love fishing out of his boat and the trolling motor was not an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC BUCK View Post
Well my son has a 20ft SeaPro and he and I fish out of it in the sound, in the creeks, in the ocean (when it is not to rough). We use his boat vice my bass boat when we are fishing bass tournaments and it is too rough on the sound for my boat. I love fishing out of his boat and the trolling motor was not an issue.
A small correction.... my son's boat is 22ft not 20. It is a bay boat.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Official Member

i use a 15' 6" boat, wife 2 kids and a dog works just fine till things get hung up
Old 12-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Striper Hunter

I have a 18 ft CC palm beach with a johnson 90 and fish the inter coastal here in Coinjock and the Currituck sound as well as the north river weekly.. I also have a Juniper replica of a 1950s era skiff with a johnson 40.. both are great boats but the skiff is ruff in choppy water.. We have that allot so my wife and teens like the palm beach much better for the ride.. We just got home from a trip to eastern shore to get in on some 40" plus stipers last week what a blast took the palm beach up to Chesapeake bay.. Great little boat handles rough surf well and doesn't draft allot of water... get much over 22 ft and limited to where you can go in the upper sound.. If you looking for a large shallow draft boat you cant go wrong with the new hull design of the Carolina skiff priced right good all around boat.. You can get them up to 26 ft now I think.. Shallow draft so you dont need a ton of Motor..

Jeff