I need a coach not a guide - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Maine
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Maine Maine Striper Fishing discussion & reports

Old 08-13-2012, 06:40 PM
The Pelagic Zone

Default I need a coach not a guide

How come you can hire a golf pro to show you the ropes, but there doesn't seem to be any fishing coaches? Guides aren't coaches, most of them don't seem to want to share their knowledge. I want to learn ways to be a better fisherman, not just be put on the fish for that day. Like the old saying goes, "Teach a man to fish...."

I welcome anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
Young salt

Default Re: I need a coach not a guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PelagicZone View Post
How come you can hire a golf pro to show you the ropes, but there doesn't seem to be any fishing coaches? Guides aren't coaches, most of them don't seem to want to share their knowledge. I want to learn ways to be a better fisherman, not just be put on the fish for that day. Like the old saying goes, "Teach a man to fish...."

I welcome anyone's thoughts on this. Thanks.

Looking for a coach as opposed to an actual guide is something you'll have to stumble upon as opposed to find. There is a certain criteria you need to meet to be an actual guide, licensing, training etc, in order to charge money for your services. You're looking for a coach, someone to show you the ropes and maybe a give you a couple tips/tricks to get you on fish. I'm not sure exactly what your skill set is, but I'm always willing to help a guy out who's new to the game and show them the things that have been shown to me. I live in OOB and fish the Saco, Scarborough, SoPo area almost exclusively. If there's any specific information you're looking for, or if you're looking for a "coach" I could probably help ya out.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:47 AM
The Pelagic Zone

Thanks for taking the time to reply SH. I mostly fish for freshwater bass on my 20' Lund Alaskan but a few times a year I'll troll tubes down the Saco but with limited success. I guess I need more time on the water to get experience. I've fished clams off the beach at Higgins and OOB and had a few. I've never had one of those "blitz" experiences. I've also fished some chunk mackerel in the Scarborough River up the river from the pier/launch with no success. I need to understand better how to read the tides, what areas around Pine Point are "go to" spots, and basically what does and doesn't work.

I've also fly fished for stripers off the beach at Higgins and Ferry and been in a school, but never hooked up.

Any suggestions you can provide about where you go and what you use (either from the beach or boat) are appreciated.

Also, the fishing reports from Saco Bay Tackle always seem to be exagerated. Do you find that to be the case, or do you just head out with the expectation that you will get something regardless of the reports. It just seems that fishing around here hasn't been as hot as it was in years past. Your opinion on that is welcomed too.

Thanks. BC-out.
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 03:53 PM
NukinFuts

First off Welcome to the forum. Depending on the guide, you'll either get a wealth of information, or very little information. You can learn from a guide, watch what they use, how they present the offering, where they go etc...
Now, not spending the coin, and hanging out with an experienced fisherman to learn the way's of fishing, is another story, as you need to find someone willing to help you out.
You won't get very far asking where to go on an open forum, reason being, it's available to all to see, guys who have put there time in, for years, won't share that info. You need to spend more time out on the salt, to start becoming more proficient. You do have the advantage of having a boat to go out on. You are fishing the right area, Pine Point, and the areas around there are fish producing spots. Also understand, lately, the fishing has been poor in that area, as well as up & down the coast. Again, with a boat, you can move around and try to find the fish, a much bigger advantage then those who are stuck on terra firma.
I've been doing the fishing game for over 40 years, and there are lot's of times, that I scratch my head in wonder, as to why I'm not catching, where the heck are the fish? I fish from the Cape Eliz. area all the way down to Wells and frequent the same areas you do, some days I hammer them, some days not.
I'm willing to assist you, as much as I can. You mentioned that you would like to know what to use, why don't you tell me what you are currently using, aside from the tube and worm, and then we can go from there, to try and get you dialed in.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Official Member

WELCOME! I will go fishing with anytime. I am not a pro but do catch fish. I fish out of biddeford pools lately with some success. Blues have moved in some but stripers are still there. I fish from kayaks and love the fight in a small boat. I found that the tides pretty much control when and where I fish. Send me a pm and if you want we set up a time to fish. Hell if you have a boat I'd pay for the gas if you wanted to make a day of. Tip: put a sandworm on the end of the tube and your success will increase. Also the river is very warm right now and stripers have moved out. This site has some great guys willing to help.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:45 PM
The Pelagic Zone

Hey Guys:

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. I'm sorry I have been a little slow getting back to you. I was off the grid up in Belgrade the past week or so doing some smallmouth fishing. Great times.

I am putting the boat into the shop this week for an engine overhaul. The motor is 12 years old now, and I would like to squeeze at least another dozen out of her, so she's going to get the full treatment.

When I can get a better bead on when she'll be back in action, I'll surface again and we can possibly make some plans.

Again, I'm really impressed and happy to see the level of support and friendship out here.

See you soon.