Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Lake Pleasant this weekend

11K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  rob777 
#1 ·
I'm taking my daughter to Lake Pleasant this weekend for striper fishing/trolling.

I'm hoping to get a boat load.

Does anyone have some recent experience?

Thanks all!

#4 ·
KR have you considered a guide. I know the cost is a few hundred but in the long run it will save you some angst. What you save in gas and bait alone.
You'll at least learn his techniques and approach.

#8 ·
I have a hot spot I'm going to Memorial Day weekend Sunday. I caught 18 there last weekend in about 2 hours.

On the west end of the dam, opposite side from the Pleasant Harbor Marina, there is an island that is right next to the shore - I'm sure when the water gets lower, it will be a peninsula. It's very possible that you could wade across to it, I didn't check as I went there by boat. It is in walking distance from the Roadrunner campground off the South Park Road. Check this link:

http://www.maricopa.gov/parks/lake_pleasant/pdf/2006 maps/plesant-south-park-3d.pdf

At the bottom of the map in the right corner by the number 15, you'll see the round island I'm talking about. The island is high and steep, the water gets deep fast. I used cut anchovies and a 3/4oz slip sinker. Deadly. The lake gets full in the spring and gets lower as the water is used in the summer. Judging from the depth map, that spot should stay good even when the water goes down - it shows 120 feet deep off of the island. I'll be there on Sunday 5/25/2008. By the way, there is no limit on stripers - keep them all. Good Luck guys....

kw

#9 ·
Had an awesome Memorial Day Sunday fishing trip. I took my neighbor and we had a killer day. It was around 85, we fished from about 10am to 6pm - when we ran out of bait. He got 12, I got 24. Nothing very big, but a lot of action. I think I'll bring some waterdogs next time and see if I can get a big one. Maybe I'll try a whole large anchovy on a 2 hook setup. I have to think there are some big ones mixed in there somewhere.

I confirmed that you can walk there from shore - no boat necessary. You have to wade about to your waist but that's as deep as it gets. When the lake is lower in the coming weeks, it will be even easier. There is another point closer to the spillway that is on shore that might be just as good. Maybe I'll try that next time. Good luck....

#10 ·
Kurt,
Congrats on what sounds like great day fishing! Question though,,, are there just that few fishermen where you are that you're not concerned about putting such precise directions (spot burning) to your spot on the internet? If I did that here, my spot would quickly be overrun with people and impossible to fish. If you were anywhere else, I'd be all over deleting that post as soon as possible, to protect you! You should at least consider editing it to be less specific. thumbsup.gif

#11 ·
If it takes more stripers out of the lake, I'm all for it. I don't want Pleasant to get like Lake Powell with the population booms and crashes. They have only been in the lake for 15 years and are only now starting to take over the lake. It's better for the lake to have more stripers taken before they eat everything in the lake. If it gets crowded, I'll learn my lesson and find another spot. Thanks for the advice - I'm a newbie here. biglaugh.gif

#12 ·
Holy thread revival Batman!

Good to hear you caught 'em!

After my 7th fishing trip there (5 hours each way) and only catching 3 total, I gave up. Maybe I'll try that spot... and no, I doubt it'll be overrun (I appreciate your specific directions!).

KRS

#13 ·
I went again on Saturday 6/14. It got up to about 108 - a little toasty. I brought a patio umbrella, cooler and a camping chair. I just filled my hat with water and put it on when I got hot. Not too bad. It's slowing down a little - I only got 10 fishing all day this time. There was a slow period at the peak of the heat. Bring lots of anchovies and lots of beer. Good Luck!

#14 ·
I have gone to this spot twice and gotten skunked, once in September and again in October. When the water is low - about 40 feet lower than in May/June, the fishing is really slow. The steep bank only goes down so far. I was fishing in only 20-25 feet of water. I went most recently on 1/17 and the water is up 22 feet from September. It's now at 66 percent full. I had a couple of hits and got one about 10:30am and nothing the rest of the day. This is the time of year when they are pumping the CAP water into the lake, so it will only get better. When I get a motor for my boat, I can chase them to wherever they are, but for now I'm shore bound. I'll try again next month. Good Luck Fishing, guys.

#15 ·
I'm resurrecting this dusty old thread because I'm going to Lake Pleasant tomorrow morning! The lake is 88% full and the water temp is up to 58 degrees. We're supposed to get a wind storm tonight - I hope it dies down by tomorrow. It's supposed to cool off - a high of only 74 tomorrow. It will be chilly in the morning. I called the visitior's center and had they guy look out the window to make sure the water isn't too high for me to wade out to the island - he says it should be fine. I bought one of those folding chairs that is a back pack. It was a pain in the butt carrying all that stuff, this should be a lot easier. I'll be using anchovies and maybe some waterdogs if the bait shop has any. Maybe some live bait will help weed out the small ones. I'll give a report when I get back.

#16 ·
Had a good trip on Saturday. The wind storm from Friday night was gone and it was calm. The water is at 88 percent full, and at this level I have to wade 15-20 feet to get to the island - it got up to almost belt high. The water is about 57 degrees, but it wasn't chilly for long. Got there around 7:30am and fished a whole anchovy on one rod and a waterdog on the other. I had a few takers in the morning on the anchovy, but not a thing on the waterdog. Around 2 or so, I switched both rods to a whole anchovy and things picked up and I ended up getting 5, all in the 2-3 pound range, all healthy and fat. I was the only bank fisherman - I guess nobody else wanted to get wet! There were a few boats fishing and from what I saw, they were getting a few too. The nice thing is, there weren't those annoying jetskiers zooming in front of me. When the water warms up a bit, that will change and the fishing will get better too. That's my latest report - see ya out there.

#18 ·
Nice to see a fellow Pleasant fishermen in the house! I hadn't posted here because I thought most of this was eastern fishing. And my fish look so small compared to a lot of these, haha!

I caught my first Striper (AZ native) about 4yr ago just west of that island below an RV camp site and have been hooked since.

As for spot burning, we are new to the striper arena and happy to show others the way but I have been careful myself as more people have begun to show. Two Cow and Sunset coves are great examples that are getting overrun but still produce all the time. I don't like fishing weekends here because it is a rec lake but did catch 7 on Easter Sunday. This time of year on til water drops dramatically (this is a resevoir in the desert hills so it drops late summer) most 20-40 feet drop or good surf cast produces with a little chumming (cut up 3-4 anchovies) and it usuall is only 15-30 min. We also get quite a few boils in summer and birds feeding to help pinpoint good areas. My wife and I have had 4 poles going at once and multi catches many times!

A boat on a boil really produces and at night under a light (somereports of 100+ fish nights. But, I find that I tend to catch more and consistently in the day from the shore, and I get my sleep! (OK so maybe thats why I justify)

For those of you that don't know. Pleasant is near metro Phx. Many fisherman were used to bass fishing and think Stripers are "trash fish" out of ignorance. We get guys spending tons of money on bass boats and gear that are new to fishing and have't caught much of anything but hate striper.
I'm just :gob_icon_cheers:hoping they don't catch on before I land some huge ones:)

#19 ·
Fished my spot on the island by the dam on Sat 4/25. The water is 65 degrees and the lake is 89% full. At 1693' the water is up to my chest where I have to wade across. It's 85 degrees out and windy. I fished from 10am-7pm and got 3 using whole anchovies. A few 90 degree weeks to warm up the water and things will pick up I'm sure. Tight lines.

#21 ·
I went out Sat afternoon, last week. My job is killing me on long hours but I'm just glad to be employed right now even though its salary for a 60 frickin hour a week Uhaul job (doh!).

I went out about 3pm and had 4 stripes and a pretty large carp (about 12lb) on by 630 or so but left before dark.

Was up in Castle Creek (NW end). I noticed the schoolies seem to be a little bigger than Two Cow or Sunset (I've been to each about 4 times this spring). I am only about 25-30 feet out, the water is 10 feet deep or so in front of me but there is an immediate drop of about 20 feet or so within view. I chummed 4 or so cut anchovies and a few more later and kept getting the bite. When I'm close or they are top feeding I like to go weightless and they nail it (same tactic, different bait, works perfect on them winter trout too). Problem is that cliff hangs me up a bit. Other little issue is wind. When weightless the line will get pulled under rocks and tie you up more. Pleasant has its fair share of wind so you have to expect it but still can catch.

I use large weight and leave my casting rod out deep looking for the larger ones. I picked up a sluggo eel lure and ran it some, but had no luck yet. It's definitely for the hogs and will try it on and off too.

I don't know about back east but I've seen some guys do real well on chicken liver here too, although I haven't tried.

BTW, I think we need an Arizona stripers247.com club! And some nice 247 striper gear to wear to the lake, I bass fished for years and still do occasionally (and trout, and flathead, channel cat and pike soon) but as I mentioned get annoyed by some of these ignorant bass fisherman.

I have owned several boats too, and still go out on friends boats, and will own again, but for now I'm enjoying the look on some of these guys faces as I pull fish after fish (I know, its wrong). I do get annoyed when they crowd in though and can't talk, but its nothing a two ounce weight flung by can't handle though! :)

If you happen to see a guy in an Jeep CJ7 on 35's and he has a beer in his hand in the (often in the am, haha) while watching his pole like a hawk. It just might be me. Say hello and lets BS!

Rob

#22 ·
It got hot as of late last week, but I am going to make it out during a weekday this week and may stay night and jet to work in the am. I often fish alone and will try and get some pics up.

If anyone wants to fish let me know, your spot or mine. I like some beers but don't have too. Just need that bite to get my blood going.

#23 ·
I has some issues with son being sick and work, but I have made it out 4 times in the last month. I couldn't believe I got skunked the first time. It has been a while and I was hoping it wasn't a sign of overfishing. Any way, the next time ( in the same spot) I got 8 but 7 seven were some of the smallest I have caught, they were constanly biting but the were only 11-12". This was in a spont in North coves but that had been producing nice fish.

So back to my regular two cow cove spot I went, I got 2 stripes, 2 channel cat and 2 2-3lb largemouth. What a surprise, all on anchovys. A triple double, haha. It took about 8 hours but I had some nice bites.

The water is now about 12 feet down and this fish are moving out a little but the are boiling like crazy in two cow and other large cover. When I was in two cow fishing there was a boil about 20 feet wide and 60 feet long, the fish are topwaterl everywhere. 100 fish stories are going on at the bairt shop.

I was surprised I didn't do better there but decided to hit castle creek for the last time but not too far north. I stayed the night and had a blast. I got there about two and had 11 stripes and 4 channel cat all off anchovies by 7 or so. I stayed up til 3 am throwing a slug-go on and off (my arms were killing me!) but I figured the big ones may move in late night. I had no luck but got up and threw anchovies again about 6 am and had another 15 stripes and two cat by 11 am. I was burned out or would have stayed. I am going to hit that spot again (hopefully this week). I paln to throw some bluegill if I stay the night, looks like killer spot for flathead too. I will get some pics, I just am not into carry cameras and stuff and I practice catch and release.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.