Storm Shads - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 PM

Default Storm Shads

Hey guys, I've always been a chunk o' herring guy, cuz it always worked great and was easy-Cast, drink, wait. But Lately I've been gettin skunked big time. So over the weekend I went to Galyans and got some tackle. I bought a couple color Storm Wild eye Shads and a top water lure. I went out, only for a little while, last night and had no luck. Reason one why tackle is harder than bait-I dont know if Im working it right. So I was wonderin how do u fish those storm shads? Is it a slow retrieve, maybe with a twitch or 2??? Any pointers? I will say that I was there for about an hour and those shads are definatly kinda heavy so I thought it was more of a slow retrieve no jiggin or anything. I accidently put one in someones boat that was moored in the middle of the river after leaving the rocks and going to the dock. Did't mean for it to happen but ooops like they say "$hit Happens" Theres no way it did any damage, no harm no foul. But I would appreciate any tips. Thanks Guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2004, 10:28 PM

I think it you have to change it up. If the fish are being very agressive, a fast retrive usually work for me. But, sometimes I have to change it up, a slower retrive with some twitchin. Alot of times we will be catchin fish on bait and we can't get them to even look at a lure :?
Old 09-28-2004, 02:33 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I use the smaller size Wildeyes in the Fall off the rocks. The fish are primarily chasing Peanut Bunker 'round here during the Fall Run, so I use the Pearl colored alot, as well as the Bunker pattern too. I also do ALOT of topwater during the fall run, I use the Rapala Skitter Pop in Mullet pattern, and the gold Chug Bug.

As far as retrieves go for Storms, I just reel em in steady, not too fast, not too slow. If there is fish around chasing bait, they WILL get hit. I've caught fish 20 feet in front of me in the Fall using Wildeyes. You think your bouncing it off a rock, which is GOOD, but nope....fishy gulpin it up.

I will say that I usually do not catch the largest fish using Storms and other rubbah, but they definitely work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2004, 07:37 PM

Thanks guys, I hope I can catch some stripes this weekend when I go out with my buddy, I think were gonna fish danversport yacht club but I'm not sure yet. I'll let you guys know how I did.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:40 PM

Like JB said, steady retrieve. If you're not getting hits, change it up a little with a jig.

I use a lot of the Tsunami/Storm style and I'd say the following:

Find the ones with "flash foil", they catch more fish
Select either "Bunker" or "Mullet" as the pattern
If you have to buy one size, get 5". I keep 4 & 6 inch handy. Landed a 37" fish in June on a Tsunami 6" Mullet.

Last night, the stripers liked the bunker pattern. Last week, it was all mullet. If you aren't getting action, switch the retrive - then switch the size or pattern.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:41 PM

Thanks Charlie, one question tho. Whats flash foil? Chunkin herring is much easier, but I got a hunch if I catch a few on some lures I'm gonna like it
Old 09-30-2004, 08:30 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Flash foil is just something they add to the pattern. It reflects light like foil would. Makes it a bit more attractive. So they say. I have used the Calcutta swimbaits with flashfoil, and the largest fish I got this year on one of those was 32" during the Spring Herring run. I threw 6" Storms out there too, and didnt catch crap. I guess they liked the Calcuttas better.

Old 09-30-2004, 09:17 PM

I see, I can't wait to catch somthin. I mean I have caught one or two this year but nothing over 24" or so. I havent been as much as i liked either. So hopefully in the next month or so I'll be out there on the weekends alot