Weather and Its Effect on Striper Feeding - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-14-2014, 05:59 PM
First Mate

Default Weather and Its Effect on Striper Feeding

I've been trying to research weather patterns and its effect on striper fishing. In your experiences does weather seem to play a role on how good the striper fishing is? I notice whenever it is real windy people avoid striper fishing. I never seem to catch anything in heavy winds, not sure if it's a coincidence. Does heavy rain affect striper fishing? If so, does fishing peak right before it? Can fish sense it? How does it affect them, is it the muddiness, temperature change? If it's the muddiness why can't they just smell for food.

I don't have much experience striper fishing so any input would be great. Maybe this could be a poll to see what everyone's most productive weather/moonphase/etc is for striper fishing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 07:05 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Weather and Its Effect on Striper Feeding

Most people are just fair weather fishermen. I actually tend to do better when its windy and/or raining
Old 05-14-2014, 08:12 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by aNskY View Post
Most people are just fair weather fishermen. I actually tend to do better when its windy and/or raining

Same here ! We have had some great days in rough weather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 PM
First Mate

You gotta remember they are an andranamous fish so they spend alot of time in the ocean. Rough conditions are pretty common in the salt. Personally I'd rather fish on an overcast day with a light wind blowing. My logbook seems to assert this.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:46 PM
Striper Hunter

Two weeks ago Albany experienced high tides, sunrise, moonrise and new moon in sync for a number of days in a row. Strong tides, and I know I had good fishing from shore, reports from the area were pretty good for so early in the season.

During the next week, things fall out of sync and fishing gets a little funky. Lots of pick ups, no (or few) hook ups.

Reading the most recent report from RBS, they say the spawn is 1 1/2 to 2 weeks away...are the stripers syncing their spawn with the new moon? Timing seems right...sharks do it...

What do y'all say? Or is it just random? Right place, right time, whatever...?

I go fishing a couple hours before high tide to a couple of hours after high tide...this year everything I've caught has been on that falling tide, but within those first hours. I believe that there are other spots that turn on at different points in the different tides.

Not terrifically scientific, but some trends I'm noticing....
Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Senior Member Elite

I can tell you wind SUCKS when you are drifting..........the waves get too big and your bait jigs up/down too much.......always shuts the bite down for me.......picture this.......a hotdog attached to a string and every time you go to bite it someone pulls it away.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:35 PM
First Mate

On the Hudson, I've had good days when it was rough, calm, sunny, rainy, and everything in between. I've also had poor days with what seemed to be similar conditions. These are fish on a spawning migration, and they often act different than fish do when they are not in a spawning-related pattern. Water temperature and tide have been consistently the most important on the Hudson for us. Temperature drives the spawning timing, and tides drive fish movement and activity.

With that said, water conditions such as clarity and the amount of debris has always been important, but whether this might only be a fishability issue rather than fish activity.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:31 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Z View Post
I can tell you wind SUCKS when you are drifting..........the waves get too big and your bait jigs up/down too much.......always shuts the bite down for me.......picture this.......a hotdog attached to a string and every time you go to bite it someone pulls it away.
In heavy wind/waves, I wonder if you'd use a heavy weight and super long leader so that there's a lot of slack between the weight and bait so the bouncing waves would bounce the weight but not the bait?
Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Ditto Outdoorsman. If I see clouds of mud in the water, I go search for clearer water
Old 05-15-2014, 07:52 PM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaflu View Post
In heavy wind/waves, I wonder if you'd use a heavy weight and super long leader so that there's a lot of slack between the weight and bait so the bouncing waves would bounce the weight but not the bait?
Yes....that works somewhat.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Striper Hunter

I believe the striper is mouthing that bloodworm a lot more than you think, I use the lightest weight and hooks you can get away with. Yesterday I tried 2 rods with 2 oz and 2 rods with 1oz weight. Ten hits total , 8 on smaller weights. Ive seen that before. If you can match tide speed against wind, I get more bites. If you have a trolling motor, use it to keep your lines as vertical as possible.