Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Official Member

Default Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making

Went down today to the Albany launch for a shakedown cruise on the boat. The rowing club has erected a whole new set of chain link fencing which blocks off about 15 vehicle/trailer parking spots, if not more. Basically they have taken over nearly the entire northern end of the parking lot. It looks permanent. Not only is there a loss of parking, but when exiting the launch you used to be able to make a 90 degree left hand turn under the bridge and then another 90 towards the exit. Now you are going to have to make a complete U-turn into the lane where the vehicles/trailers wait in line to launch. It wasn't bad today because no boats were launching other than me and one other guy, but once the season gets it full swing I can foresee lots of problems and long waits, particularly on weekends. Anger even. I know the docks themselves are provided by the boat club and for that I am thankful, but I would bet the launch and parking were built with state dollars. I have no objection, and greatly welcome, the rowers, but this situation seems untenable. I have also noticed that the rowers do not wear life preservers. Also, that the people (students) operating the chase boats don't really know what they are doing. That water is cold this time of year, I know because I wade in it to launch my boat. I suppose those rowing sculls are pretty stable, but if one goes over at this time of year, the chase boats aren't going to be much use. They are 16 foot aluminum skiffs, how do you climb aboard those? Not my problem I guess but it seems pretty dangerous to me.

The boat ran good once I re-connected the spark plug lead I had taken off a week ago. Still leaks, mostly thru the live well pump I think. Maybe remove it and plug up the thru the hull fitting, see if that helps. Use a bucket to fill the well. Marked a few fish. Tried garden worms but no bites. No debris in the water, visibility maybe one to two feet.

You may want to take a drive down to the launch to check it out and plan your angle of attack before the season gets here. If you have a big boat its going to be a major problem for you. Anybody in tight with Mayor Jennings? Maybe a call to his Friday morning radio show would be in order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 09:18 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Albany Corning Preserve Launch Disaster in the Making

Myself and a few other fisherman have sent messages to this page under the contact drop down. If you can take a quick minute and express your concern that would be great. This launch last year Friday-Sunday was unsafe. I use this launch almost every day and arrive before 4 am just to secure myself a quick launch and a parking spot im able to get out of in the afternoon. Its almost time guys!!

http://www.albanyny.org/home.aspx
Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 PM
Official Member

just sent the following to the Mayor

This concerns the boat launch at the Corning Preserve. As I am sure you know, the Striped Bass run starts soon. Hundreds of fishermen use that launch from mid April to mid May. I went there today to test my boat and noticed the very extensive new chain link fence enclosure that the rowing club has put up. It takes away at least 15 spaces for parking of vehicle and trailers, and leaves the only exit from the ramp on a hard U-turn back into the roadway where other's who are waiting to launch stack up. Runners and bikers using the Preserve path also pass through this area. The rowers themselves must navigate the vehicle traffic, Any traffic jams, and there will be traffic jams, increase the risk of injury. I support the rowing club and am grateful for use of their docks. But the parking lot and launch should be for all of the public who paid for it. Surely some middle ground exists and I suggest your traffic engineer take a look at the situation for the benefit of all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 11:26 PM
Senior Member Elite

I sent in a complaint. Maybe they will listen if more of us do the same.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:23 AM
Striper Hunter

Hey guys, new to the site. Been using this launch for a few years now. I did not go take a look, but I took your word for it and sent in a complaint, as did my father and my fiancé. The more the better I suppose. Cant wait for them to get here. Don't want to have to drive to HH park everytime but I will if I have to. tight lines
Old 04-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Senior Member Elite

Just FYI .... the rowers don't need PFD's as the boats are long enough that they don't require them.

The launch drivers are out every day and are coaches not students so they do know what they are doing.

My daughter rowed for several years ... i actually asked the coach about the PFD's as i was concerned ..... in all the time my daughter rowed none of the rowers ever went for a swim.

I never use that launch .... between the rowers, fishermen and pleasure boaters it is way too busy. The Rensselaer launch is much easier.

There is at least one advantage to a 12' rowboat
Old 04-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Official Member

I have used the Rensselaer launch a few times. my boat is only 14 but one time I had to wait a few hours til the tide came back up to the concrete ramp since my tow vehicle is only 2wd. Not a lot of parking there either. Maybe I will put a winch on the van for times of low tide.

Thanks for the info on the rowers. But I still think they should wear life preservers this time of year. Don't know if you remember but years ago a sheriff boat ran over a scull up on Saratoga Lake. Many kids seriously injured. S*** happens.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie the j View Post
I have used the Rensselaer launch a few times. my boat is only 14 but one time I had to wait a few hours til the tide came back up to the concrete ramp since my tow vehicle is only 2wd. Not a lot of parking there either. Maybe I will put a winch on the van for times of low tide.

Thanks for the info on the rowers. But I still think they should wear life preservers this time of year. Don't know if you remember but years ago a sheriff boat ran over a scull up on Saratoga Lake. Many kids seriously injured. S*** happens.
i do remember that ... ugly to say the least

i guess that pfd's are so restrictive it would impact their ability to row

my daughter is in florida now so the cold water won't be an issue.....

as far as .... happening she lives at tower 4 at ucf .... the potential shooter from a couple of weeks ago was in tower 1 .... scary to say the least
Old 04-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Striper Hunter

Last year we had a hard time getting a 16ft on the trailer in renn. This year I have a 25ft and have no idea where I'm gonna launch. I don't think I could even swing the truck and trailer around at the Corning because of the way they set up the new fences.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:02 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePoseidon View Post
Last year we had a hard time getting a 16ft on the trailer in renn. This year I have a 25ft and have no idea where I'm gonna launch. I don't think I could even swing the truck and trailer around at the Corning because of the way they set up the new fences.
time for a slip for the striper run ..... back when i had my big boat i docked it at forever young ..... it was great back then because there were a bunch of charter boats and it was one big party

it sure was nice to just hop on the boat and go without trailering, launching etc
Old 04-06-2013, 11:11 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ship of Fools View Post
time for a slip for the striper run ..... back when i had my big boat i docked it at forever young ..... it was great back then because there were a bunch of charter boats and it was one big party

it sure was nice to just hop on the boat and go without trailering, launching etc
Already bought my slip at forever young!! No launch there. I'm getting it wet tmrw. Hopefully joes has the dock ready after today.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Already bought my slip at forever young!! No launch there. I'm getting it wet tmrw. Hopefully joes has the dock ready after today.
Best part is, I just bought a house about 2 blocks away from the marina!! See ya out there!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2013, 12:30 PM
First Mate

Good to know for sure. I'll be splashing my 19' cc tomorrow out of Albany and am very interested to see what it looks like. I've used Rens a couple times last year, and it's dicey to say the least during the bottom half of the tide. I'm glad I have a roller trailer!

Anyway, we should make formal complaints, I will after tomorrow and will try to take some good pics of it all as well.

Getting ichy...

Mike
Old 04-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky711 View Post
Good to know for sure. I'll be splashing my 19' cc tomorrow out of Albany and am very interested to see what it looks like. I've used Rens a couple times last year, and it's dicey to say the least during the bottom half of the tide. I'm glad I have a roller trailer!

Anyway, we should make formal complaints, I will after tomorrow and will try to take some good pics of it all as well.

Getting ichy...

Mike
What time are you heading down? High tide isn't until 330.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Tyee

I also keep my boat at forever young,great place.last year my friend left his rod leaning on the back of the truck and drove away,didn't realize it till we got back to Vermont.went fishing 3 days later and the rod was leaning up against the outhouse.very honest crowd up there.I'd pay double for a slip if it meant not having to deal with the Corning preserve.well,maybe not double