Just installed a Downrigger on my boat. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Sweetwater Stripers > Interior States and Landlocked Striper Forums > California - Lakes, Rivers, Bay and Delta
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Just installed a Downrigger on my boat.

This will be my first experience with fishing a downrigger.
I'll be using it mostly on Lake San Antonio.
Anyone have any tips for me on downrigger use?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Just installed a Downrigger on my boat.

Hey at least you got it hooked up I have one myself not hooked up yet. I think you got to ask T.O. for some hints at fnn I am fishing the Havasu derby next week was hopeing to have setup but had boat troubles but boat good to go now. Did you try useing flies on the troll?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:36 PM
Striper Hunter

No flies, I did use a led head shad swim bait and a Bucktail with a big grub for a bit. also trolled a Broken Back Rapala in a shad color as well as some more blue back jigs I have for stripers that have worked well at San Antonio before.
My Downrigger was a simple mount. It came with a swivel base and slide mount as well as a 6lb ball and a release so I had everything. All I needed to do was drill four holes and bolt it down.
Maybe I'll see what Bob feels like giving up. I've expected to hear that he's been to San Antonio but I guess he's waiting for the bite to get going also.
We met there a couple of times last year when we were both fishing there on the same days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 04:22 AM
Striper Hunter

TROLL WITH YOUR BAITS OFF YOUR RELEASE ABOUT 20FT IN STAINED/DEEP WATER AND 50FT IN CLEAR/SHALLOW WATER.

CONCENTRATE ON YOUR SONAR!!!

STRIPERS AT SAN ANTON LOVE 2oz BUCKTAILS, WITH NO TRAILER. WHITE ON CLEAR DAYS OR CHARTRUSE ON CLOWDY DAYS. BRING A BUDDY SO YOU CAN HAVE FOUR BAITS IN THE WATER AND STACK THEM FIVE TO TEN FEET APART.

I FISHED THERE PRETTY HEAVY IN THE EIGHTIES AND THE BITE IS STEADY THROUGHOUT THE YEAR NOT JUST THE SUMMER BITE.

THIS WILL BRING YOU PLENTY OF SMALLER FISH, BUT KEEPERS. AFTER ALL I DONT REMEMBER ANY HUGE FISH THERE.

ANYWAY, THE BIGGER FISH, (10 - 15 POUNDERS), TEND TO HOLD IN THE MORE DENSE, COLDER WATER BELOW THE THERMOCLINE, AND IN THE CREEK ARMS IN THE WINTER.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:01 PM
Official Member

Thanks for the info. can use all I can get.
Old 09-29-2012, 01:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbertom View Post
no flies, i did use a led head shad swim bait and a bucktail with a big grub for a bit. Also trolled a broken back rapala in a shad color as well as some more blue back jigs i have for stripers that have worked well at san antonio before.
My downrigger was a simple mount. It came with a swivel base and slide mount as well as a 6lb ball and a release so i had everything. All i needed to do was drill four holes and bolt it down.
Maybe i'll see what bob feels like giving up. I've expected to hear that he's been to san antonio but i guess he's waiting for the bite to get going also.
We met there a couple of times last year when we were both fishing there on the same days.
the white bass in nacimiento are surely going nuts right now.