Cooler weather - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-25-2012, 11:04 PM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Default Cooler weather

Im guessing this cool stretch will be good so water wont warm up as much. Having 70+ degrees with no snow run off heated the water quick.

Im not fishing monday or tuesday being it will be chilly with hard Northwest winds. In Cornwall area, NW winds are brutal being its right in ur face, and its cold wind.

Also cant cast as of now, i messed up my shoulder last night playing hockey. Went shoulder first into the boards falling down. So hoping after a couple days ill be good to go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Unhappy Re: Cooler weather

the spot i fish at the herring wer splashing on the shorline today . i sure hope we get the colder weather .
Old 03-26-2012, 12:56 AM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Default Re: Cooler weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by hung4wheeler View Post
the spot i fish at the herring wer splashing on the shorline today . i sure hope we get the colder weather .

past couple of years ive seen herring splash around the shore in mid april. This year im guessing it will be the first week. Moodna creek is right to my northwest (about half a mile). Herring dont really go in there recently due to the paper mill polluting it. Hopefully the hurricane cleaned it out.

But the creek bed runs just off shore where i fish, and last year we caught tons of herring with spinner baits and stoolies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 01:04 AM
Super Moderator

Its the earliest ive ever seen herring swirling and splashing on the shoreline ever .
Old 03-26-2012, 01:08 AM
2014 stripers caught - 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hung4wheeler View Post
Its the earliest ive ever seen herring swirling and splashing on the shoreline ever .

ur up north right??? last year herring were around until late May here, after i first started to see them swirling. Will this year be the same, or will they leave earlier, i hope not, but who knows.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

coeymans area just south of albany. and yeah i never really seen herring swirl like that until the end which is weired. because the run just started but they wer all over the place tonight on the shoreline . a guy on a boat fishing in front of us had a water temp of 50.9 keep a look out see if you hear of any other parts of the river seing the same as i em . so far ive recieved reports from the caskill area and the coeymans area all seing the herring splashing on the shoreline
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 AM
Striper Hunter

Im in the troy area and I seen that last night...
Old 03-26-2012, 08:08 AM
swabbie

I think you guys are seeing the first push that came through Kingston last week. They seemed to be everywhere then this weekend they were really hard to catch and didn't seem to even follow a stoolie. Rivers should cool a little this week. I'll let you guys know when the next big school shows up.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM
First Mate

I haven't even seen any cormorants yet in Greene or Coulmbia counties! I did see a bald eagle Saturday though.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

they must have flown passed we have them up here. up bye lafarge there are alot of them . dam things are bait stealers
Old 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM
Striper Hunter

Three of us fished out of coeymans saturday morning. Didnt see or catch any herring. Neither did the boats we talked to. No cormorants either.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

unless you are trying from shore with a stoolie you aint gonna catch herring. the herring that are up right now dont hit the sabiki rigs. weve been catching herring for the last week using the stoolie. one rule of thumb dont try in coeymans where the launch is . there are far less herring there because of the concrete dyke., I sent you a pm