Boat Launch in Troy By the Damn - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Boat Launch in Troy By the Damn

Does anyone know who owns this ramp? It is in serious rough shape. More so than previous years. Last time i checked it it was inpassible. I know theres a lot of people who rely on this ramp (me being one of them) and i want to see if we can improve the ramp. Im waiting to see what the city does with it when they put the docks down town in. they are all stored at the ramp so i imagine they will use the ramp. anyone know anythign or willing to help out fixing it up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Senior Member Elite

Default Re: Boat Launch in Troy By the Damn

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglurr54 View Post
Does anyone know who owns this ramp? It is in serious rough shape. More so than previous years. Last time i checked it it was inpassible. I know theres a lot of people who rely on this ramp (me being one of them) and i want to see if we can improve the ramp. Im waiting to see what the city does with it when they put the docks down town in. they are all stored at the ramp so i imagine they will use the ramp. anyone know anythign or willing to help out fixing it up?

i checked it out the other day .... you are right on that it is in rough shape

it could be made usable ... but i think if we do it on our own someone may frown on it

but

may be case of "better to ask for forgiveness than beg for permission" ... (learned that one from my nephew )

the bottom part with the blacktop needs to come out and it would be fine .. otherwise someone needs to fix it up

AND... now that i write this i remember hearing something on a preview for the news last night or this morning about work at the ingalls avenue launch ... anyone see the report??
Old 04-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Official Member

See the link for "project plans"...not sure of the status:

http://troyny.gov/projects/ingallsavepark.html

A revised site plan, construction documents, and permit applications have been submitted to all the applicable agencies. The revised site plan establishes expanded boater parking and a larger comfort station. A boat storage facility could be added at a later date to accomodate school rowing programs and local clubs. The City is hopeful the permitting process can be completed by May 2010, with construction to begin in August 2010. On this timeline all construction could be completed in 2010.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Striper Hunter

Wow there going to be upset when they find out all that hard work and money they put in in 2010 washed away in the spring thaw. Haha. I checked it this afternoon and some one did some work and cleaned it up. A little more work and well be good for another season. or at least till 2010 right? Where's the doc and the delorian. If we went to the city to fix it up im afraid theyll chain it off till they can fix it properly. But if we get my boat trailer "stuck" and have to do "fixing" to het it out, I'm not sure how Mich squacking they will do. Either let us fix the ramp or buy me a new trailer. Or just do it one afternoon and play dumb.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Lunker

I've seen that launch from the river while fishing and it is UGLY! I have a 18' Tracker and there is no way I would launch from there! I would go down to the Corning or the Rensselaer launch. At least you know you are not going to f up your trailer and/or boat. One of the main reasons I joined a club on the Hudson. I have my own private launch now. I don't have to deal with the rowing teams or any of the other headaches at the launches.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatfeedbag View Post
I've seen that launch from the river while fishing and it is UGLY! I have a 18' Tracker and there is no way I would launch from there! I would go down to the Corning or the Rensselaer launch. At least you know you are not going to f up your trailer and/or boat. One of the main reasons I joined a club on the Hudson. I have my own private launch now. I don't have to deal with the rowing teams or any of the other headaches at the launches.
If you don't mind me asking, what club did you join? I am getting tired of the rowing teams that "own the docks at the Corning Preserve".

Two of the people I take to the Hudson have a difficult time walking. Last year we loaded the boat in the river and went to pickup my friend on the dock, he was told that the dock belonged to them and we had to use the concrete portion to get into the boat. Not only did we have to wait about 15 minutes before they moved their motor boats from the area they told us to use but it was extremely difficult for him to climb down the ladder onto the boat. It seems to me that if they own the docks they should tie their chase boats to that instead of the only place we are allowed to use.

I hate to be one to complain but after a hour ride to the river, the last thing I want to do is wait for them to launch all of their boats before we can launch ours then have to wait for a spot to pull up so everybody can get in the boat. Unfortunately the earliest I can get out of work is 3 and it seems like they launch their boats right when we get there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Striper Hunter

I have the same issue at the preserve but have never had anyone saying they owned the dock. They do believe they own the river though and they believe we should be the one that moves.............good luck with that.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:43 PM
Official Member

I am not sure when you are there but I will be at the launch every weekday except Wed. around 4PM. I have a white 17' Grumman.

We have been told several times that they own the floating docks but not the ramp.

I am sure we will meet someday if we havn't already.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Official Member

It was just in the Troy Record the other day in the article it said the city of troy recieved grant money to make a new launch and parking area. It looks like they started work there last week.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Striper Hunter

Im sure we will meet up some time, i have a 14 ft allum. I dont know if you noticed but the coach makes the girls take trailer and boat up the ramp after rowing and then attach it to the truck,like he cant back up or something.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:39 AM
Official Member

Thats funny. I havn't seen that because I don't leave until around 10 and they are long gone.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 PM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishking View Post
If you don't mind me asking, what club did you join? I am getting tired of the rowing teams that "own the docks at the Corning Preserve".

Two of the people I take to the Hudson have a difficult time walking. Last year we loaded the boat in the river and went to pickup my friend on the dock, he was told that the dock belonged to them and we had to use the concrete portion to get into the boat. Not only did we have to wait about 15 minutes before they moved their motor boats from the area they told us to use but it was extremely difficult for him to climb down the ladder onto the boat. It seems to me that if they own the docks they should tie their chase boats to that instead of the only place we are allowed to use.

I hate to be one to complain but after a hour ride to the river, the last thing I want to do is wait for them to launch all of their boats before we can launch ours then have to wait for a spot to pull up so everybody can get in the boat. Unfortunately the earliest I can get out of work is 3 and it seems like they launch their boats right when we get there.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
I belong to Tri-City Yacht Club, but during the "season" I pay for dock space at Albany Yacht Club. It's a lot quicker jumping on the boat there after work than running the extra 7 miles south down to our club. I feel your pain with the Corning Preserve. If you are just picking someone up you could always grab them off of the Riverfront Bar and Grille's docks next door to the Corning, we've done that before.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Official Member

Thank you for the tip on the riverfront. Is it a long walk to get to their dock from the parking lot?

I take the boat out in the AM a couple of times a week here at home so I prefer not to leave it there. I will give AYC a call and see what they charge to use the ramp.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:10 PM
Lunker

Fishking, no it's not a long walk to the Riverfront's docks from the Corning. AYC doesn't have a launch there. They use a crane to put their boats in. Have you tried the Henry Hudson launch? That one is really nice.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 PM
Official Member

I have to look into HH. We usually fish from 4-10PM and I am not sure if they close the park.