Rod & Reel Options - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Rod & Reel Options

I have $300 to spend on a new rod, reel and line. I am looking to fish from the beach mainly Plumb Island and the river mouth, maybe a little from the boat.

I am looking to cast eels, plugs lures etc.

Any help would be more than welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2009, 10:29 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Rod & Reel Options

Hey man, this is something many people face, you are not the first one. There are multiple threads on your very question, so try a search, that may yeild some decent results. Also here are a couple links to help you out... Good luck

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=15611

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=17244
Old 06-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Striper Hunter

thanks for the reply Ghilie

I have read most threads on rods and reels, what i seem to be missing for some reason is a general consensus on A $300 rod, reel and line combo,

I see good recommendations for rods and the same for reels but finding the right balance of Rod, Reel & Line is eluding me.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:12 PM

In general a 9 foot rod rated 1 to 4 ounces something around 12 to 19 ounces balances them

10 foot up to 24 ounces. Of course you can go heavier and beefier

I like to go light my 10 footer has a 19 ounce ZB reel strictly eeling and plugging
Old 06-25-2009, 11:19 PM
Striper Hunter

Jim

Do you have a recommendation for a 10" rod ?

Also forgive my ignorance but who amkes a ZB reel?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:35 PM
First Mate

Np man, and for a 10' rod if you have 300 to spend, i would go with a lami or even a st. croix, theres so many options. Best thing to do is go to a local store that sells them whether it is a bait shop or cabelas and get a feel for what you wanna buy and what fits you best. Remember your the one using it, so make sure it is comfortable for you.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:49 PM
Striper Hunter

As a starting point, if i suggested the following what would the reaction be ?

ROD...........Lami SK 10 MS Mod / fast
REEL..........Slammer 560L
LINE...........30lbs Braid backed with mono
Old 06-26-2009, 12:00 AM

A zb is the Zeebaas.

Ghilie is 100% correct. Only you can feel what feels good to you and wont tire you out after a few 100 casts. Its tough recommending tackle to someone. Everyone is different and has different needs. Eventually you might outgrow it The ones I've had experience with have all been fished hard and abused. We've been around and around on this topic.
Now eels, plugs and lures is entirely different than a boat rod and reel unless you just plan on a 9 footer with spinning tackle. (too big for a boat)
A Lamiglas surf-king is around $120 or so. Not that bad. (Not warrantied nor made in the US)
Tica dolphin surf rods I've had and used and abused - Also the Tsunami trophy rods. But Ive busted em all including the Higher end rods lamiglas (Lifetime warranty) and St. Croix. (5 year surf warranty) Mostly the top half's and tips. The only rod i haven't busted is a breakaway Hatteras heaver type rod but it gets seldom used.
The one pieces are better but have transport issues. You need a rod rack on your truck or rocket launcher (rod holder) and run the risk of being stolen left unattended. The two piece rods can be broken down and locked away.
Some guys can fit a one piece 10 footer in their trucks
Look into trying someones Penn 704z reel. Coffee-grinders. Thats basically what I started with and still use occasionally. A bit on the heavy side at 24 ounces but the same weight as a Shimano 4500 bait-runner.

Do a search in the stickies for rigs tubes lures and FAQs in the tackle shop forum

The slammer 560L is the live-liner model. I never used the new Penn stuff but i can tell you the graphite reels are light and pretty much flimsy. They make the others in metal alloy of some kind. Heavier and better constructed. You'd have to research it but its a decent starter set.the reel is ~20 ounces.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevlaw50n View Post
As a starting point, if i suggested the following what would the reaction be ?

ROD...........Lami SK 10 MS Mod / fast
REEL..........Slammer 560L
LINE...........30lbs Braid backed with mono
Sounds like a good starting set up to me, only thing is that i would go 40lb or 50lb braid. I'm not sure if you have a line picked out already but i use 50lb power pro in dark green which is equivalent to 12lb test. 50lb power pro + 10' surf rod = insane casting! Plus with with 50lb you still have low diameter, with great strength, and great sencitivity. Your reel and pole should work well together, but i can't stress enough go try them out prior to your purchase. Good luck,
Old 06-26-2009, 05:14 PM

The boat AND beach part is what screws up the whole equation
Anything much over 8' is difficult on a boat while under 9' is difficult in the surf.

I really don't have a good answer for you
Old 06-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Striper Hunter

If boat and surf a not a good idea i will follow the advise given so far I will look for a rod and reel under 8' for the boat at a later date.

For now i will continue my search for a 10' rod and appropriate reel for the surf.

Any further advice very welcome
Old 06-26-2009, 06:25 PM
First Mate

Trev, your going in the right direction, check out the trading forum as you may find someone selling a pole which interests you, good luck again on finding one.
Old 08-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Striper Hunter

Just wondering if you found anything and if so what it is.

I am currently using a St Croix Legend Surf rod with Shimano Stella 5000sw reel. This combo is big bucks but is light weight, strong, and has great feel and action. That being said I am looking for something similar in terms of size(10') with a good reel that is light and well balanced.

So today I stopped in at the local outdoor store and they were putting out a new display of "Star Rods" from Pacific Bay. I really have no idea of how good they are or not but I held the 10' surf spinning model and I really like the way it feel. It is light and has good flex...rated moderate which I believe is the same as medium. $110. Rated 2 - 5 oz

So I wanted to get a decent reel that was light weight and could handle 50# braid without spending a ton of $$$. I tried the Shimano Spheros 6000, which was okay but the one I really liked was the Penn Sargus 6000. Small but not too small. Light weight and has a sealed drag. Will handle about 260 yards of 50# braid. Nice feel and well balanced with that rod. $85

So for $195 I could be into a nice light weight spinning combo....not too bad if you ask me. I could spend more for higher end products but for a back up combo I think this is pretty good