to all cape cod fishermen - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts > Cape Cod Canal
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Cape Cod Canal The Ditch.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Default to all cape cod fishermen

hello fellas i want to go striper fishing down cape cod ma. some were from the shore line i have no boat .. i was just wondering if anyone had any real good spots for me and advice on exactly.. were to go .. livebait or lures .. time of day or nite .. high tide or low tide .. calm waters or moving waters .. etc.. i could use all the help i fished up in n.h in the past now it time for bigger and better fish in the cape.. also is it posible for me to catch blues from the shore or only in boats ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: to all cape cod fishermen

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the forum. I don't think any one is going to give up the spots to go fishing. But if you take the time to read through all the various topics you will learn a lot of things. Think about it....if you had good spots that you liked would you give them up to just any one?

Many of the experts here will only use lures and for many reasons. One of which is that they practice catch and release and that is much easier to do when a fish is hook in the lip from a lure rather than when the live / chunk bait is sitting in the fish's stomach with a hook attached to it. Another is because they make all their own tackle.

While most will say fishing is usually best at night or on an incoming tide there is no one way to do it. I have read in here ways to scout for areas to catch fish at any time of day on any tide and in any weather. Really what it comes down to is your ability to read the water and the surroundings and find the potentially good spots and then know what to use and how to use it.

If you take the time to read through this website you will find tons of useful information that is timeless. You'll need to put in the time to scout areas as much as possible

I believe blues can be caught anywhere...shore or boat. Again, you'll need the right equipment and know how and when to use it

Whatever you do I hope you will practice catch and release. Get them back in the water asap and let them live to produce more fish and get bigger themselves
Old 05-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Here's when and where,and what;
high tide, low tide and including anything in between either one
Full moon, new moon and any phase between the 2.
beach, river mouth, rock piles and reefs.
wood,metal, plastic or rubber plugs, and lures
cut bait, fresh, frozen, or live
Eel's, bunker, squid, sand eels, mackeral, etc.

The how has taken me 40 years, and lots of blood, sweat, and tears.
Tears in my waders, and skin.
Broken bones and a couple of broken hearts from lost fish and 2 wives. In order of importance.

There is years of knowledge posted here, all on how to make you a better fisherman, but what you will not find in any post is specific hand holding. That would be just too lazy, and take all the fun out of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

c'mon!!!!!!
give the guy a break....
all he wants it a break....
tell him what he wants to know.....
paulie wants to catch a fish.....
all you have to do is point him to a SPOT....
oh chit>>>>
did you say SPOT?'
paul, you can ask for general locations
you can ask for a place to meet to fish someones specific location "if possible"
but you may NEVER EVER EVER ask for a specific SPOT.
it will never happen and it is tabboo...
this thread will garner assorted responses similar to these so don't get insulted, it is a touchy subject here.....

Old 05-17-2009, 11:04 PM
Striper Hunter

hey fellas im not askin for ur fav. spot im jus tryin to get in the rite area i havent been fishing in the cape but hey thanks anywayz lolol
Old 05-18-2009, 01:03 AM
The worlds worst fisherman

pack a bicycle, and hit the canal, theres lots of spots to stop with your car along rt 6 and 6a. but bring lots of gear, and patience as you will lose both.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:01 PM

When you get to the Cape Paulie, you're going to want to stand with your back the water, and then turn around to cast. If you pick a nice spot but you don't catch any fish try switching plugs, bait or presentation speed. If that doesn't help try the same spot at every possible moon phase and tide. If that doesn't work move down 20 feet and try again.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Banned

Paul,

There are books written on this very subject...written by some of the guys that have been fishing for stripers for over 40 years, while that isn't going to give you a specific hot spot or help you choose the right time or technique it may send you in the right direction. The beginners section of this very forum is a must read.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:18 AM

read on the water, gives lots of great locations.....
Old 06-27-2009, 05:57 PM
Striper Hunter

canal
Old 06-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Veteran Elite

Seems waaay too green to fish the canal. There are tons of easy to fish places in plymouth and on the Cape. Do a search find a beach and fish it. If you hit the canal inexperienced you will most likely lose tackle and have a bad time. Or you can prove me wrong and catch a world record. Being serious though if you do fish the canal and never have before. Bring a bike take a long ride and observe. Then fish it It may be more productive for ya that way.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:06 AM
Striper Hunter

the canal is the best place i have found YET to practice your knot tying skills