What an awful season in Troy - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 PM
Striper Hunter

Default What an awful season in Troy

Well it looks like the end is near for the Albany/Troy run this year. Very few boats still out trying. This has been the worse year I have ever experienced in my short striper career. Unfortunately with a new job I couldn't get out nearly as much as I would have liked, but the times I did go out seemed way off. I believe I saw a grand total of 4 stripers caught this year, 3 of which were already on stringers. The times I did go out I got the overall consensus from other boaters that I wasn't alone and no one seemed to have a theory as to the problem. Pretty bad when the highlights of the season included catching some shad and snagging a sturgeon.

I'm sure I missed some banner days and heard a few reports of good fishing in the general area but the days I tried were just the opposite. How'd you all fare?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Official Member

Default Re: What an awful season in Troy

OK. 6 in the boat, 15 trips so far beginning in mid April. Last year i got 7. Year before was 9 or 10. The two years before that was 0 each during the run as I recall, maybe a few after. If I fished to catch fish, I would have quit years ago. Between now and October I will probably fish the Hudson another 20 times at least. I just love that big river.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	20194  
Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 PM
Striper Hunter

I don't know what happened but I've only seen a handful of fish this year as well and I only caught two early on in the season. I remember the last few years even if I did poorly I was almost guaranteed to see someone else hooking up around me...not this year. Just a terrible year all around. You know it's bad when you can show up to the boat launch at 8 am during striper season and easily get a parking spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 10:37 PM
First Mate

Man, I thought it was me this year... I was skunked for the first time in three years. Fish from shore went out every sunday and a couple Saturdays and Wednesdays. I had two runs I missed but that was all. I fish from shore and tried several places. I fished a fish finder rig, chunked and live. I also used tri swivel with no luck. Yeah we caught cat fish and had our bait taken by eels but I donut get up at 3am on a Sunday for cat fish...
Old 05-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Senior Member Elite

Same thing for me this year too

I've been doing this since the mid 90's and usually end up with 50+ fish for the season. I am self employed and have the ability to get out most mornings for a few hours and there has always been a stretch of a week or so when it got red hot and multiple fish hit the net every day.

This year i have a total of 4 fish .... got 2 one day and 2 days with a single fish.

I think this past week would have been the week .... as Insurance Guy said the full moon shut them down and then shortly after we had that monster storm and the water is still muddy and high. Who knows.... if the water clears up there is a chance there might be some fish to be caught.

I went trolling for trout this past weekend .... but a 12" rainbow just doesn't compare to a 40 inch striper
Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 AM
Tyee

Fished albany yesterday, herring were easy and thick at the post, one run n that's all, pulled boat and heading to northern lake Champlain next week for smallies and large lippers, good luk to all, like the majority I had a less than desirable season,15 trips to the river and only 2 fish, but like Freddie said, it's not all about catching, but catching makes it a little more enjoyable
Old 05-22-2014, 08:42 AM
Striper Hunter

Guess I should consider myself lucky. Only got in 2 trips but had 6 hookups and landed 3 fish. Would have taken 2nd and 3rd in the Ale House tourney if we entered the damn thing LMAO.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 AM
Senior Member Elite

I had my best year for Albany area this year. I managed 14 from the end of April till the first week of May before heading south to Newburgh where the numbers are better. All of our Albany fish were in the mid 30 in range.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Official Member

This year was definitely not like last year for me. I hate to say it but so far for the season I have boated 38 stripers in 11 trips. We also only had one day not putting fish in the boat. The last week of April was the best for me, one day I boated 10 fish. This year I wasn't able to boat at 40 inch fish like I have the past 4 years but there is always next year. One of the brighter sides of this season for me was watching two newbies land fish, they are obviously hooked now lol. All of my fish were caught the first 3 hours of sunlight in the Albany area. I'm looking for one more trip down but we will see, August at the dam with top water plugs is also fun for holdover fish! Good luck everybody
Old 05-22-2014, 01:31 PM
Master Trophy Hunter

Doc....how do you like the Newburgh fishing. I fish the Catskill to kingston stretch. We don't seem to boat quite as many as People in Newburgh do. My boat has had 152 hit the deck. I know guys in Newburgh boat way more but it seems the average size is much smaller. It's pretty rare that we boat fish sub 30". Since you fish a lot of different areas do u notice a big discrepancy in size from one area to the next? Good job so far this year by the way.

2017 Biggest:37"
Old 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM
First Mate

5in the boat this year.. sad. was harder to get out this year, but the last two weeks with the rain just killed things up north. Was gonna go out this weekend, but , heyyy its rained again.. creeks are nothing but brown, and it all heads to the river...
Old 05-22-2014, 09:22 PM
First Mate

I made it out 6 times and landed a nice Striper from shore in troy. I'm happy I got one and it was none for last year.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:26 PM
Striper Hunter

Well, my best season out of 4. 7 fish landed from shore, 2 in the 20 lb class. Lots of runs, had a week where I had 20 runs or so and couldn't put a hook in a fish..I gotta call it odd, but good.

The warmer water definitely made a difference in the nature of the runs and the fight of the fish--I thought my last 20 lb fish was considerably larger. Not disappointed, but surprised at the difference in the fight from early season to later on.

Wait 'til next year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Striper Profile Picture.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	20530