Weather Vs Striper Decline ? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 01-25-2011, 10:11 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Default Weather Vs Striper Decline ?

This story on NPR this morning ...

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/25/133183...n-fish-decline
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 AM
Official member

Default Re: Weather Vs Striper Decline ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassinbrian View Post
i think the key words to that hole thing, was about half way down the page.
He said [ Well i don`t know, and i don`t know that any body does]
Old 01-26-2011, 11:21 AM
First Mate

It's an interesting theory, but to me all anyone has to do to find out the reason for the decline is to see the recent video from North Carolina where a COMMERCIAL fishing boat is high grading it's catch and dumping hundreds of adult stripers, many dead or dying, back into the ocen so they can keep larger fish! Millions of pounds- that's right MILLIONS- of stripers are commercially harvested every year with no reguard for the survival of the species. I know GWB made it a gamefish, but only out to sea a certain distance. If you really want the population of stripers AND herring rebound to where they should be ALL COMMERCIAL HARVEST MUST BE STOPPED!!! Sorry to "yell", but it really upsets me that they are always looking for answers yet never see it when it's right in front of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 12:48 PM
Winning !
Pro Staff

Yeah i don't think the weather story holds much truth either, just heard a portion of it on radio and thought i'd throw it up here on the site.

Quote:
you really want the population of stripers AND herring rebound to where they should be ALL COMMERCIAL HARVEST MUST BE STOPPED!!! Sorry to "yell", but it really upsets me

Amen brother !!!

It's sick the stuff they get away with
Old 01-26-2011, 09:43 PM
Striper Hunter

It's a combination. Think of the thousands of charter (rec) boats that go out each and every day up and down the coast. Some boats with 4-6-10 paying customers and some with hundreds. And a lot of them do it 2-3 times per day and with multiple fleets. And they try to max out every single time and every single person on all those boats is encouraged to keep all the caught fish. And if someone does not catch 2 themselves then others will share

And all the poachers need to be cracked down on with stiffer penalties. Many poachers continue on because the punishment is a slap on the wrist compared to the rewards

I hate to see us surfcasters and pleasure boats lumped in with the rec charter boats. Just like there are some bad commercial practices as well.

We all have to do our part. In the last year I have sent dozens of emails and letters to congressmen and legislators all over the east coast. I don't know if it helps but it can't hurt. But we need to be unified just like the comm's are. With one common voice pushing our ideals that represents thousands of voters and millions of dollars
Old 01-28-2011, 11:50 AM

Add this to the present anecdotal evidence and the plundering

The audio - for archiving

Striper -Decline
Old 01-31-2011, 09:37 AM
Official Member

The striper decline has been quite noticeable for the past 8-9 years... and "YOU ALL KNOW IT"......

It's not El Nino, Sulphur Dioxide Emissions, Acid Rain or any other Godamn voodoo child some Biologist comes up with....

They don't want to blame it on something that "can be fixed" because that just might "resolve the problem".....

Commercial fishing has all but depleted the striper population.... Tons and tons of stripers boated daily.... You'll never see another moratorium because it's not "cost effective" to the politicians who regulate the budgets of each state.

Fishing is big business to the tax structure of every state... and our Legislative bodies have found a means to increase "their salary's" while taking from ours.

Charge angler's a fee to fish saltwater and all its tributaries....

Only in America............

Bluesman
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
The striper decline has been quite noticeable for the past 8-9 years... and "YOU ALL KNOW IT"......

It's not El Nino, Sulphur Dioxide Emissions, Acid Rain or any other Godamn voodoo child some Biologist comes up with....

They don't want to blame it on something that "can be fixed" because that just might "resolve the problem".....

Commercial fishing has all but depleted the striper population.... Tons and tons of stripers boated daily.... You'll never see another moratorium because it's not "cost effective" to the politicians who regulate the budgets of each state.

Fishing is big business to the tax structure of every state... and our Legislative bodies have found a means to increase "their salary's" while taking from ours.

Charge angler's a fee to fish saltwater and all its tributaries....

Only in America............

Bluesman
You're exactly right. Commercial fishing HAS decimated the striper populations as well as the herring/alweives. I just can't understand why our elected officials won't due something about it! They go after "big oil" which contributes billions in taxes, fees etc. to the economy- not to mention the pocket lining that occurs. Turning a blind eye to the current striper/herring makes no sense!!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:09 PM

This AMO relevation only aids to compound the problems.
I'm thinking it can only help in determining set catch limits.

Here is an indepth explanation on this study.
long-lasting climate pattern called the Atlantic Multidecadal Oscillation may be affecting striped bass and other fish.
written by ken blankenship of the Chesapeake Bay journal.