Newbie here... let me introduce myself. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 04-18-2009, 04:58 PM

Default Newbie here... let me introduce myself.

Hello all:

I've lurked this board for a few days now as I just moved to Hingham MA and I am walking distance from Hewitt's Cove (Hingham Shipyard).

I heard that I could drop a line in the shoreline all around the cove and catch decent sized stripers all summer long, starting in about two weeks. So, today I went to my local tackle shop and got a Shakespeare 7' Powerod and Eagle Claw XG660 reel. I know it's not fancy, but I think it'll be a good start for a fella that wants to cast in on Saturday mornings. I also picked up a pack of four Panther Martin shads and a Bomber 6" jointed lure. Thrown in was also a claw if I catch a blue and some weights. Any thoughts on a newbie setup?

Let me know if there's anyone in the area that can give me tips or wants to show me the ropes... I haven't fished since I freshwater fished in PA and I was 12! There's a case of tasty beverage in it for anyone that wants to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 02:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Newbie here... let me introduce myself.

Welcome to the area, you picked a great spot to live if you like striper fishing. I live in Scituate which has some great spots too, but is not quite on the level of the boston harbor system (in my oppinion at least). That entire area is covered with great spots 2 rivers, a few harbors and an estuary system all within a 10 minute drive; if you go 20-30 minutes the options are limitless.

Do you have a boat, kayak or other method of fishing away from shore (inner tube perhaps? j/K) or will you be working from shore?

Pick up some pearl color 4, 5 or 6" shad and some basic top water plugs, 1 needle, 1 hydro popper, 1 atom or danny. If you like soaking bait then get some clip on fish finder rigs.

Also, Saturday morning is the worst time to fish. Every ass hat and their brother will be motoring through all summer long starting at 6:00AM. Striper are like new York city party animals, you might see one out in the day... but they're out in full force from dusk till dawn, especially in the shallow waters near you. If you can get out at dusk or dawn during the weekdays you should have some fun top water action.

After you get the stiper's under your belt, then it's time to head off-shore... this area has (arguably) the finest summer bluefin tuna bite in the world.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:04 PM
swabbie

Welcome!

I'd get set up with some surf casting bait rigs and a sand spike for your rod. When you get bored of tossing lures you can soak bait. Sand worms, mackeral chunks, and clams all work in that area (fresher the better). Visit the Sportsman's Den in Quincy and they'll give you good advice.

Also, pick up a few weighted treble hooks (snagging hooks). If you see a school of menhaden snag a few - they work great as live or chunked bait and often when they are around the bass don't want anything else. You could also try casting and slowly retrieving live eels at night from shore.

Get some wire leader for when the bluefish are around. It gets expensive when they are biting if you don't have wire leader to protect your tackle!

If you want to get away from the crowds my suggestion would be to take a ferry to the harbor islands. You can walk around them and fish their edges pretty productively. It's usually much less crowded on a Saturday than any decent spot on the shore.

If you have a boat it opens up many more opportunities for you. Let us know how you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 06:25 PM
First Mate

Very good stuff to get you started...One thing I always have when I go out is Sluggo's...Just like the shad, they work great and I always have one tied on when I go to the harbor.... "Black at night, White in light." Also follow the tides...High tide will get the fish (bait and stripers) moving and will make the action start...And always keep your eye on the sky..the birds are very active in the harbor and will tell you where the action is....Also if your fishing the same area, keep a journal as to what's working and when (time of day, weather, moon, tide, bait, etc.) Have fun
Old 05-25-2009, 10:42 PM

Lets meet up some time, I am less than five minutes from there. (Do all my shopping at stop and shop right there.) Noob myself (to the salt) and have learned quite a bit so far, bet we could help each other out. PM me sometime and maybe we can team up some day to catch some good fish.