The fishermans surfcasting seminar - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 09-10-2004, 10:03 AM

Default The fishermans surfcasting seminar

The fishermans surfcasting seminar

Sponsored by The Fishermen Magazine.

Venders from every major tackle MFG. and all the heavy hitters.

Happauge Long island. A whos who of Montauk surfcasters. thursday September 9th at the Hilton in Huntington. Al McReynolds was the featured speaker. Al Knocked em dead.
Among the dais was 10 other reknowned Long Island surfcasters including Bill Wetzel and Frank Dagnualt, Mike Lang, Mike Votto and others.
I have to tell charlie that I finallybought his book hot spots. He signed it for me. Both Frank and his wife were charming.

I got to meet Bill Wetzel a great guy and better surfcaster. Also got to pick the Brains of some of the best. Nice seminar. Came out feeling confident about my abilities as a fishermen. They helped reinforce some of the ideas and methods I have been using over the years. Although I have an awful lot to learn about the different types of plugs and how each one has a different subtle presentation and or movement in the wash.
All 11 of them was asked this question and all answered it the same. What type line used for plugging and what type do you use for chunking bait?
Answer. Braid for plugs. Mono for chunking bait. (stretch)

All except Mike Votto. he said Mono for both.

Frank Dagnault and his wife

albert answering a question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 10:29 AM

Default Re: The fishermans surfcasting seminar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripers247
I have to tell charlie that I finallybought his book hot spots.
Oh shoot, there goes the secrect spots.

Start with the 5's, and explore from there.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: The fishermans surfcasting seminar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripers247
All 11 of them was asked this question and all answered it the same. What type line used for plugging and what type do you use for chunking bait?
Answer. Braid for plugs. Mono for chunking bait. (stretch)

All except Mike Votto. he said Mono for both.
That surprises me a little. I was a die hard braid guy when I started chunking for stripers. The super strong, zero stretch was just the ticket and to this day I keep braid on my chunking set.

For plugs I started with braid but took it off in favor of mono. For me, and maybe it's just my poor technique , after a bunch of casts briad will get "loop knots". You see a small loop form on the spool, you cast, and the braid comes off so fast it twists around the loop making for some hellish knots to deal with in the dark. The more you cast, the more you get them. And with poppers when you go from tension to slack to tension to slack you are asking for trouble.

So, for chunks, clams, etc, you don't cast all that much so I can deal with the occasional issue. For plugs when you spend 5-7 hours casting, it makes for a frustrating night.

I also should point out that the bigger the spool, the bigger the problem I have. When I chucked plugs with a Shimano BR 3500 is wasn't as big a problem as it is with the SBR 6500. The line comes off faster, which I think is the problem.

Just my experience - which is no where near the experience of the striper gods you spoke to.

It's gotta be my poor technique. :cry:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2004, 02:01 PM

Default Hey Charlie

You know what they say about spots. Burning spots is punishable by silence. :D

Quote:
That surprises me a little. I was a die hard braid guy when I started chunking for stripers. The super strong, zero stretch was just the ticket and to this day I keep braid on my chunking set.
The same for me so i followed Mike votto outside afterwards when He was walking to his car and told him that I 've taken to using braid recently on a setup because of this fish that lies in a hole surrounded by huge rocks. And it was a must for its abrasion resistence at this particular spot. At the least heavy mono. So the logical choice here was the braid. Mikes reasoning on mono. The sudden stress will either be on one of two places. the hook or the line. and when a big fish hits it hard, where would you want to give a little? The hook? Or the Line.

Then he says that he fishes the beaches of Montauk in an area where there werent any rocks. So that may account for the answers weighed in favor of beach fishing.
Also braid casted further for them to help them target the rear of the breaker and they were able to "feel the pug swimming".

Just goes to show about interpreting data.. You have to learn to think critically about interpolating the data derived from them.
What group are you polling from? If its cnn you may get a democratic bias and if its fox news it may be a republican slant.

I shouldnt use politics to bolster this theory huh? 8)
Old 09-11-2004, 04:53 PM

Default The linup at the clinic

Featured speaker was our Buddy Al

The linup at the clinic Northeast?s best surfcasters

Crazy Alberto, John Paduano, Bill ?Doc? Muller, Tom Melton, Donny ? Super Strike? Musso, Ralph Votta, Fred Golofaro, Eric ? the treeman? Ernst, Frank Daignault, Steve Petri, Zeno Hroman, Mike Lang, and Bill Wetzel
http://www.longislandsurffishing.com
Old 09-11-2005, 07:01 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i agree with both. i plug with braid but use a mono leader to attatch to my plug. i have one extra knot to contend with but maintain ample stretch on hookset. wonder when it was this season

Old 09-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Reports and Info Dude
Got a Little Captain in you?

Just passed last week Zim. Heard guys complaining about the format. Was chaotic. Most agreed it sucked but the speakers were good. Consesus was that they wasted money on gas and the 20 to get in. I didnt go this year and am glad.