Newbie, looking for advice near sandwich area - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 04-23-2009, 09:51 AM
The worlds worst fisherman

Default Newbie, looking for advice near sandwich area

Hey all. Im about as green to striper fishin as one can get, i started last season during a summer lay off. And went the whole season with out a catch, except one my buddy caught the first time he came out, because he wanted to try his hand. With that season behind me and all the books one can read, im looking for good beaches around the sandwich area, other than the canal. I dont want spots of honeyholes or your exact spot, just a striper friendly beach i can start. I dont have a 4x4, although im in the market for one, to get out miles down a beach but i do have hiking boots and not afraid of hoofin it. I have pretty much just messed around the mouth of the inlet at the board walk, which if im not mistaken is called town neck. And mostly the canal, which has been frustratingly stealing my tackle. Any advice is apreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Re: Newbie, looking for advice near sandwich area

Although I do not have advice concerning a specific location, I will attempt give you some useful advice. First of all, many of the areas you have sought out in the past may infact provide oppurtunities for a linesider. I suggest you revisit these areas with the knowledge you have gained from your readings and set out each trip with an objective in mind. For instanse, "today I am going to focus on......... topwater plugs, jigs, bait ect.." The best advice I have for anyone new to striper fishing is to put their time in and be observent. What makes any spot produce is the anglers familiarity with the location. My advice is to choose two or three locations and put the time in to learn them.

Any time you are exploring an area one should consider the following variables: time of day, tides, structure, moon phase, bait in the area and current. Through deductive reasoning and trial and error you will begin to hook-up on fish in areas you may have considered to be void of fish. In some instances you may run across a fellow angler who is enjoying a consistent bite. Whithout crowding this individual take the oppurtunity to learn from them. How far are they casting, what are they using for bait, pay attention to the retrieve and action imparted on the lure and the variables above the angler may be considering.

If you are looking to get on schoolie stripers and get a feel for the species I suggest any bay or harbor using a high-low rig or single circle hook dressed with a good sized peice of clam, squid or other available bait. I suggest using clams as stripers have a habit of patrolling in the vacinity of large charter boats that dispose of left-over clams at the days end. This technique is most efficient an hour or two before high tide and when the area encounters reduced boat traffic.The above technique has produced legal keeper yet sub-legal fish are more likely. To reduce the risk or killing potential future 40 plus fish I would suggest educating via catch and release utilizing a size 4/0 - 6/0 circle hook. In my experience this technique is more consistent without a weight which allows the clam to drift freely. The benefits of this technique is it can be employed with inexpensive equipment and casting distance is not very important. I hope my advice has helped and best of luck this coming season.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Official Member

from swingers: Guy ur so F'ing money and you dont even know it.

Sandwich is amazing becuase you have a ton of different kinds of fishing areas right in your immediate vacinity.

You got the canal, there are certain points if you just drive up and down the canal at low tide that have crazyrips showing, thats a good place to fish. up and down the canal if you keep moving is always fun.

You got the beach right there where i think u were explaining facing the bay $$. look for structure and sandbars ect. (use search tool "structure").

Then u got all the beach all up into plymouth (thats about as far as i would drive personally) But all the south shore, (north of duxbury) is crazy craggy rocks that of you're careful on are $$

THENNNNN you got sandwich harbor, and barstable harbor to the east and south which has countless little river inlets that go all the way up into sandwich, and all the way the other way down into yarmouth (whoop whoop y-town baby). Get some waders. watch your step. ppl die there......

Also you got woods hole which isnt really that far and you can fish all in the west canal entrance on either side which is $$

And if u get a 4 wheel sticker, you can drive all along the mouth of barstable harbor. guess what $$$$$$. Im usually on the other side, my buddie has the Dennis OSVP.

Guy..... ur so money. I wish i was layed off, and lived in sandwich haha
did i mention ur money? Pretty much any body of water connected to the ocean around sandwich is money. pfewww, lemme catch my breath.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 03:22 PM
Striper Hunter

you need to pay close attention to the canal rats. I fish their often and you need to figure out the right techniques to prevent you from losing from your lures. Soon the canal will be loaded with stripers its your best bet and can be your friend. 2-3 ounce pencil popper's will get you plenty of fish.If they're a little deeper switch to a crippled herring. Ive caught schoolie after schoolie after schoolie and keeper after keeper on those things. My friend caught a 45 lb in the canal on a 9" shad reeling it slowly. Later in the summer the sandwich end at first light is unbelievable. The feeding frenzy is a sight to behold i get pumped just thinking about it.So from shore put your time in and learn the canal. its worth it. good luck
Old 04-23-2009, 11:57 PM

I love this site, one post and you get excellent information. Right on guys thanks a bunch. now time to knock the rust off. Whats best on the canal, low tide or high tide? falling or rising water? over the summer after like four hours of fishing, a obvious "canal rat" showed up was literally 50 yards up current from us and was pulling smallies, and keeper linesides on what seemed like every other cast for like an hour, (on what looked like a bucktail jig) and do you think i got even a bite jigging a bucktail after i walked over and looked at what he was using. ha no.

live eels at the canal made me so mad all the time, the little f'ers would just swim to the bottom, and ruin my day. so i tried a faster retrieve and ripped there jaws off after like four or five casts. is that roughly all you get out of live eels?
Old 04-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Official Member

I started fishing in the same area a few years ago. All the advice these guys gave you is spot on. It took me a while to get my first bite from shore as well, but it was worth the wait.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:02 PM
Banned

Well it seems that you have put some definite time in. To help answer your question it would be helpful if you described how the techniques you used during your first season.

The canal is tough at times and you certainly can break off a few times but you can do really well on pencils as mentioned above.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:10 PM

so we fished town neck/boardwalk for like four hours saturday night, no fish, no bites. but lemme throw this up here, i read on here its good practice to run a mono shock leader/3'-5' mono leader when runnin braid, connected with an albright knot, and im entirely blaming the dead end on the albright for birdcaging my reel, and reducing me to one rod/reel for the night. i cut it back to about less than an 1/8, i bet it was even a 1/16 of an inch, but I beleive it caught the wraps on the layer below it and pulled them thru when cast, hence making me cuss out the day mono was born. and I immediatly cut the mono off my second rod/reel. Now, im not running a mono backing with 50lb powerpro braid, on either reel, should i use one when i respool? im hesistant with mono braid marriage now.

and now for fresh water news, saturday night before high tide, we were messing around with the fresh waters, and nabbed a 5 lb small mouth in peters pond with a popper. sunday middle of the day peters pond, 6 lb large mouth with bobber and shiner over many budwiesers. not linesides but it made my weekend complete.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily Maroo View Post
live eels at the canal made me so mad all the time, the little f'ers would just swim to the bottom, and ruin my day. so i tried a faster retrieve and ripped there jaws off after like four or five casts. is that roughly all you get out of live eels?

Live eels are a good bet, even more effective as the season moves on. You made me laugh with this post as I know all too well the perils of fishing with eels. Next time use a small cooler, lay a couple/few ice packs on the bootom and cover them with a towel.....THEN put your eels in. You can use a bag of ice but as it melts you'll have to keep draining the excess water so the eels dont drown (hence why its much easier and just as effective using ice packs). The ice cold temps will render the eels all but paralyzed until ya take them out to use. Just be warned that you have a small window (maybe 20-30 seconds) of opportunity once ya grab the eels before they regain their liveliness (the warm air and the heat from your hands will "thaw" them out pretty quickly). Hook the little bastages on a 6/0 circle hook, thru the bottom lip and out thru the eye socket and they'll stay alive for a good long while. On the bottom is exactly where ya wanna be with them too, you were right the first time. Cast the suckers out there and allow time for them to drift down to the bottom (ya may wanna add a 1 oz. egg sinker to get them down faster if you're having problems or fishing moving water) and retrieve them as sssssss-llllllll-oooo-wwww-llllllll-yyyyy as humanly possible. You'll feel a slight *tap* *tap* *tap* on your rod when you get a bite, bring your rod tip down in front of you (called bowing to the fish) and when ya feel the nibble again quickly lift your rod tip back o the 12 o'clock position for a good hook set. Hope this helped man and good luck out there.....you'll do alright if ya follow this method.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 04-30-2009, 11:40 AM

Ice packs.... Brilliant. Should I worry about freezing them to death. Is it good practice to toss em in the beach sand to get a grip on the buggers? I was doing that last year, and caught nuthin. Im not sure if that had any thing to do with the way they swim or smell or something. I think im gonna try the mainland side jetty on the east entrance sat morning first light. Wish me luck.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:12 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oily Maroo View Post
Ice packs.... Brilliant. Should I worry about freezing them to death. Is it good practice to toss em in the beach sand to get a grip on the buggers? I was doing that last year, and caught nuthin. Im not sure if that had any thing to do with the way they swim or smell or something. I think im gonna try the mainland side jetty on the east entrance sat morning first light. Wish me luck.

Nah man don't worry about freezing them to death, the towel will keep them plenty cold without actually freezing the little buggers. Their metabolism slows down to the point where they almost appear to be dead, but like I said before, once ya take 'em out and handle them for a few seconds they spring right back to life. If ya take them out and hook 'em up right away ya probably won't need sand, but once they get moving again a little sand for handling purposes never hurt. Good luck out there, hope ya get into 'em.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 PM

on holding on to the eels, use a green scuby pad to get a good grip on them. the thin ones are very flexible if you dampen them first.good luck and tight lines,i'm a newbie too!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:38 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeldeel View Post
on holding on to the eels, use a green scuby pad to get a good grip on them. the thin ones are very flexible if you dampen them first.good luck and tight lines,i'm a newbie too!

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 05-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Striper Hunter

Don't let the eels touch the ice. The towel will keep them safe. I use one of those small clear boxes with a blue top that includes a handle and two side flaps to lock it onto the box. It is light weigh and easy to handle in any environment. Ice on the bottom, thin towel next and eels on it with a piece f the towel flapped on top of them. drill a couple of air holes in the top and you are good to go.

Sandy Neck Beach runs for miles from the canal entrance into CC Bay to Beach Point at the mouth of Barnstable Harbor. If you are up to it take a death march from Sandwich to Beach point with a map and mark all the structure you see from the beach. Or be sensible and do it in short hikes this month.

Quite a few striped bass will turn right as they enter CC Bay and cruise along Sandy Neck Beach all the way to Barnstable. Fish any patches of weeds you wander by.
The fish will sometimes use them to ambush bait fish swiming between the weed patch and the shore.

I'd time my recon trips of that entire beach by starting at low tide and looking for depressions (Called Guzzles) that striped bass will use as highways up onto the flats as the tide rises. Get yourself a book by Ed Mitchell called Flyrodding the Estuaries. They are about 6 bucks on Amazon if you buy the used (like new) copies. It is about fly fishing, but the information Ed puts out about fishing the shoreline and back bays works for any kind of fishing.l It will make you aware of "stuff" you need to know.

Pay particular attention to the jetties and the creekmouths where they enter the bay along Sandy Neck Beach.

You could focus on SNB and never, ever have to fish any other shoreline on Cape Cod.

Be prepared to see the fish you will be casting to, more often than not. The shallows along that beach are gin clear and you will see 40 inch striped bass cruising in 2 feet of water looking for sand eels, mole crabs and baby flounder on the bottom of those guzzles and in the rips that set up along the beach.

Bring lot of fresh water for the treks!
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37 AM

so im guessing that would be from the public beach and 4x4 entrance all the way to branstable harbor entrance where the sand bar gets real big and the boats hang out and drink? I've done that before. Thanks for the advice.