New to striper fishing - general questions - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 AM
Official Member

Default New to striper fishing - general questions

Hey all, new guy here to striper fishing and fairly new to saltwater fishing in general. I have read through many of the postings here but there are so many postings sometimes it's hard to find the exact info I'm looking for. So if any of your experienced anglers out there have some time to answer this newbie's questions I would much appreciate it. First some info, I am fishing mainly from shore at this time (stone jetties, piers, shore) on the North Shore above Boston, mostly in the Salem harbour and surrounding areas. I am soon going to be fishing from kayak and small boats also. The first day I went out this past weekend caught one nice black sea bass and one 28" striper, second day nothing.

1. Proper line stength and hook size? Using 20lb monofilament along with 40lb leader attached to 1 or 1/0 hooks. Okay set up?

2. Mostly been using shad and squid or sandworms. Caught the black bass on the worm and striper on squid. Been using a 3 way swivel with about 3' of line to my sinker and 18" of leader to my hook, also been hooking entire squid with a double hook set up with one hook through top of squid and one fed through bottom. Better suggestions?

3. I did wonder by fishing in the harbour especially, what effect the tides and weather might have on striper? Do sudden changes in the barometric pressure improve fishing? Fishing from shore certainly high tide brings the fish in closer to me unless I can get my line out to the deeper channels and drop offs?

Thanks all for any info you are willing to share with this newb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: New to striper fishing - general questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersteveg View Post
Hey all, new guy here to striper fishing and fairly new to saltwater fishing in general. I have read through many of the postings here but there are so many postings sometimes it's hard to find the exact info I'm looking for. So if any of your experienced anglers out there have some time to answer this newbie's questions I would much appreciate it. First some info, I am fishing mainly from shore at this time (stone jetties, piers, shore) on the North Shore above Boston, mostly in the Salem harbour and surrounding areas. I am soon going to be fishing from kayak and small boats also. The first day I went out this past weekend caught one nice black sea bass and one 28" striper, second day nothing.

1. Proper line stength and hook size? Using 20lb monofilament along with 40lb leader attached to 1 or 1/0 hooks. Okay set up?
I have 50 lb braided line and use 50 lb flourocarbon leader with a size 9 octo hook. get rid of that mono.

2. Mostly been using shad and squid or sandworms. Caught the black bass on the worm and striper on squid. Been using a 3 way swivel with about 3' of line to my sinker and 18" of leader to my hook, also been hooking entire squid with a double hook set up with one hook through top of squid and one fed through bottom. Better suggestions?
look at a fishfinder rig.

3. I did wonder by fishing in the harbour especially, what effect the tides and weather might have on striper? Do sudden changes in the barometric pressure improve fishing? Fishing from shore certainly high tide brings the fish in closer to me unless I can get my line out to the deeper channels and drop offs?

for me, i like the time when it switching tides. but who cares. fish whenever you have the time. :) g'luck.

Old 04-13-2014, 01:33 AM
Official Member

Default Re: New to striper fishing - general questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripersteveg View Post

ok im not a vet, been fishing stripers for about 14 years but was never as hard into it as i have been the last 2 years.

1.i too fish from a pier, i employ the good old sliding rig. biggest fish i cought so far is a 15 incher. but i dont go for size more then just the sport of it. i use 12 pound mono. a 1-2oz weight to a plastic line slider. i use about 18 inches of leader of the same weight line to a 5/0-6/0 hook.

2. i have never used squid but iv heard its good stuff. around here we use anchovies, chicken livers, shad and eel. i personally use nothing but anchovies they are about fool proof.

3. striper like most other fish, when there is going to be a storm best time to fish is a few days before up to the day of the storm. during the summer for me tide in top of the tide and tide out are the best. low tide spreads the fish out so its harder but they still bite. on the tides in and out try to cast your bate towards structure. the fish will set up on that waiting for the easy meal to float past.

this is what i have learned by reading alot of fishing books, magazines and youtube. check out the informative fisherman on you tube his videos are good for everyone. oh and fishing for dummies is full of tips you would never think of and are so simple. great read.

good luck and tight lines