Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Sealing and Painting

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  jerseystriper 
#1 ·
New Guy here and need a little help. I'm pretty much ready to start my first plug. I've gathered a bunch of information on sealing, primings, painting then clear or top coat finish.

My questions are:

1. Sealing- I've picked up some Envirotex and will be using that. Is this good for the initial sealing process or am I reading things wrong here?

2. Priming and painting- I know I have to use compatable primer and paint, but what is the best paint to use? Laquer or acrilyc or something else?

3. Top Coat (Final Clear Coat) I'm thinking I can use the Etex for this also. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any help you talented group of folks can throw my way.

Chief Murph

:gob_icon_cheers:

#2 ·
New Guy here and need a little help. I'm pretty much ready to start my first plug. I've gathered a bunch of information on sealing, primings, painting then clear or top coat finish.

My questions are:

1. Sealing- I've picked up some Envirotex and will be using that. Is this good for the initial sealing process or am I reading things wrong here?

2. Priming and painting- I know I have to use compatible primer and paint, but what is the best paint to use? Lacquer or acrylic or something else?

3. Top Coat (Final Clear Coat) I'm thinking I can use the Et-ex for this also. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any help you talented group of folks can throw my way.

Chief Murph

first welcome to the site...
Yes, et-ex can be used as a plug sealer, Sudsy did an in depth how too here on the site.. a little research ( it sounds like you already have) will make it available...

I prefer to do my plugs old school with a 60/40 mixture of boiled linseed oil and orderless mineral spirits sweetened with 10% pentrol... all precautions must be adhered to when disposing of rags/towels using this method because there is a possibility of spontaneous combustion...

primer is a matter of choice, some use regular automotive type primer, others opt for binz shellac based primer ( red label) I personally use Binz cover stain oil based primer thinned about 10% with orderless mineral spirits and sprayed with an automotive type spray gun....( oil based sealer is best to adhered to with an oil based primer)

Paint again will spark debated, I have used just about everything except latex... for proto types, I use spray(can) lacquer, with a lacquer clear coat....

for my "production" plugs I use several different water based acrylics, Delta ceramacote is my #1 choice, I also use Anita's and Folk art... all these paints must be thinned approx 50 % with water or a thinning agent..

For epoxy clear, Envirotex is among the favorites, as is Devcon 2 ton epoxy...

there are alot of factors involved with layering sealers ,primers and paints... be sure to let each coat/layer cure fully before applying the next.. each layer is only as strong as the layer below it, the most common rookie mistake is not waiting long enough (at least 24 hours) between each layer which results in a peeled finish... take your time and enjoy the experience.. it's a fun and entertaining hobby...

good luck
Roc

#4 ·
Thanks Roccus and Jimi. That kind of got me where i needed to be on sealing the plug after turning. I used to paint aircraft when i was in the military, so i should be good from here.

I'm looking at createx paint. Any input on that? I also like the idea of spray cans for protos. Think I'll do that.

Just finnished my spinner and will make an insulated box that it can fit in for a heat source. I've attached a pic, hopefully it uploads on here.

Beers to you guys for the help

Attachments

#5 ·
With the paint I have used a few different kinds. Well Let me also say I'm newer at this also. I had painted several with spray cans with half decent results. Now I use both spray can and airbrush. The airbrushing acrylics paints Roc had mention are much better than the Createx but you will have to thin the acrylics(Delta, Folk, etc.) I have also tried a few other paints I like very much, one of these came with my Iwata airbrush. The paints name is Com-Art made by Medea, it's an airbrush paint so no need mixing and it goes on 10 times better than Createx. If you want the Com-Art you would most likely have to order online, give it a try if you like before ordering a bunch. There is also a thread called 'airbush paints' a threads or so before this on, there may be some usefull info in there with different things to try.
Another great source for Kustom Shop and other airbrush supplies http://www.tcpglobal.com/
True Fire you tube link for Ed Hubbs-

If you shop at Michaels or AC Moore crafts keep an eye out as they seem to be clearing out some paints right now(depends where you live) I have recently got some good deals on Liguitex, Golden and Delta acrylic paints. Them seem to be clearing them out to either reduce stock or bring in other brands.
I may also be trying some high quality auto paint(premixed for airbrushing) in the near future. I had called to shop that sells/uses it and they thought there should be no problems with it and the colors are awesome. It's from Kustom Shop and there is also House of Kolor which I hear is pretty good. There is some great videos on Youtube of master painter Ed Hubbs(Kustom Shop-Full Blown Kustoms doing some custom airbrushing(vehicle stuff but worth the view). Ed is about the second best painter of True Fire, right behind Mike Lavallee the originator

Oh yeah nice job on the spinner:a_goodjob:- are you holding the plugs up with zip-ties?

#8 ·
I have not built my spinner box yet but I will use wire and springs. I have access to free springs of all different sizes. I will only need a few though as the rest will be taken up with wire. Right now I'm to damn lazy to clean out my garage plus it's cold out there in the winter. My basement is out of the question as a river runs through it. I'm trying to convince my wife to give up part of our bedroom or my daughters. I have no space(w/heat) and my daughters bedroom is 24'x14' maybe larger. I'll cut in the cold or with a little heater but not paint and finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.