The Penalty for spotburning is silence. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Striper Information & Services > Striped Bass Fishery Conservation / Politics / Management / News > Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Licence Registry links /Regulations / Laws State game thief and Poacher hotlines / U.S. State Trailering Laws / Registration & Guidelines / Regulations / DNRs / Wildlife fish and game / and other govermental agencies / Park service Pass / Fees / News , fishing bills, conservation, regulations pertaining to the striped bass

Old 05-03-2006, 07:59 PM

Default The Penalty for spotburning is silence.

I for one dont appreciate the fact that some guys think that they are entitled to know your fishing holes and techniques because they demand it on a message board.
General areas are Ok but that doesnt seem to be good enough for some guys.
I certainly dont like hard feelings, pot shots and public ridicule or derision. This kind of mentality can quickly lead to just that.
But just for what its worth. SPOT BURNING is a long standing fishing community no no. akin to flying through no wake zones, crossing rips motoring up on your spot and fishing your chum slick. Its not much fun when 300 googans show up to ruin an area.
This board was developed to offer an alternative to the kaos and posse mentality that can exist in long standing communities. Im not putting any others down, I totally understand it when I see someone taken to task for a faux paux especially when it denigrates the efforts of that staff and their community.
Tact isnt always the order of the day. And sometimes quite frankly, maybe it shouldnt be. It is their perogative if its not.
My goal in creating this site was to learn, then perhaps I thought we could provide an alternative forum where a newcomer wouldnt be put down by cleverly placed words or attacked by an entire group of buddies because they disagree with them on an issue. Or out of ignorance or naivette made an error.
I've done it (made an error) on another board and got ridden out and attacked. It was an issue which in retrospect I wish i didnt even try to debate because I wasnt going to win. I wrote an article on Al McReynolds and with Als blessings he asked me to post it on other boards. I was blasted for being a spammer. It taught me a lesson. I dont really care about the crude verbal assualt, but I understood then that I'm not about to change anyones mind especially in a situation where there is a pack mentality.
On another I was (humorously) referred to as the high and mighty from another board comes here to suggest what we should do with the attack possies that were taking over and ruining the board. I learned through that experience not to have any opinions good or bad about issues anywhere else because of my position in this forum.
When a board gets like that, I think its going to die a slow death. I think its struggling to make a comeback now but the assholes took over while the boss was away. There was a cat fight in every forum. The last thing I want to do with my spare online time is argue with some idiot on an online message board.
We here have chosen our moderating team very carefully. They have always been as tactful and as respectful as you could expect in any one person. I believe that then becomes a reflection within the entire community, one that which I personally take great pride in. These people are my good friends now. As good as any friends I've known my entire life.
If you lurk in forums, never post and when you do ask for exact spots the answers wont be fast and forthcoming. But if you ask how to scout a spot and what to look for and how to approach a situation very likely someone will take the time to instruct you as best they can. If you think that they are guarding some special secrets, then stick around a while and keep your mind open instead of some kind of negative comment about us as a whole. Better yet, go to another fishing community. Any one you can think of. Ask for a gps location. Let us know what the reply was.

Rock On!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 05:03 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Well said Jim. . A suggestion to the lurkers, would be to do your homework. Watch, look and learn. No short cuts, my friends.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:59 AM
Veteran Elite

I would just like to say that everyone here that I've encountered has been very courteous.Most every question anyone has had about how to has been answered and in most cases with even more helpful information than expected to be there.I for one thank everyone here for making this a place I like to hang out and learn,joke and establish cyber friends,thanks to Jim and the staff for their efforts to keep it that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2006, 08:33 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i agree with you jim. when i was the newbie i was lurking around, hesitating to become a member and participate, i was looking for the striper secrets. after a little while i decided to come out of my shell and become a member and participate. it was the best decision i have ever made. i have learned so much about stripers, as well as overall proper fishing etiquette, is seems the golden rule still works. people will disagree from time to time, however people who personally attack others because they feel entitled to information are either ignorant, or just plain jerks. the overwhelming majority of members i have encountered here are what i consider to be friends, most of us share the same passions and its good to have a place to communicate with others of like minds. thanks again to the s247 family, jim.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Wishin i was fishin

Well said Jim, If you want to know a good spot, there's no better way to go find it yourself, then it can be "your spot" People in this forum didn't learn good spots without spending the time for themselves, and they're not about to let anyone know in 5 seconds what took them years to figure out.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:29 PM
Veteran Elite

I really hope this doest offend anyone, but I used to chat in alot of online chat rooms when I was bored...don't do that anymore, there's more stuff to read about fishing that I haven't found yet. but this was one of the most popular sayings.....

Fighting online is like the special Olympics; even if you win you're still retarded

So please, don't take offense to that, it just makes a very good point. There is no need to get into that stuff with people. in the end, you just look like an idiot. You know, and on to Spot burning???? I have NEVER had someone new to fishing come up to me while I'm fishing and start talking that I haven't helped out and said "see that rock over there, why don't you try bouncing your bait around that. It should hold a fish" Where I fish, spot burning isn't as much of an issue, but I'll promise you one thing...if you're an arrogant cocky annoying person, the last thing I will want to do is help you out....Not only do I just plain not want to help you, but I damn sure don't want you and your attitude anywhere near me when I'm fishing. Wow, didnt realize I was going to rant this much. Anyhow, well said Jim, I love it here, enjoy everyone's conversation and ideas and have learned more from this one site than probably 10 other combined......Hell I even made my site in hopes I could draw a group together like you have.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2006, 10:59 PM

Yea Jeff. Thanks
Always after I post something like that I have second thoughts. I dont want to single out anyone and especially dont want anyone to personalize it. It is borne out of frustration when I think our efforts are being mocked or unappreciated. The guys who are here who participate and instruct, do so genourously and without compensation. When I feel that their efforts are trivialized and unappreciated I get rankled. Perhaps its miscommunication and perhaps not. Either way I felt the need to vent about it.
Thanks
Old 05-05-2006, 12:51 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Great thread, again :)

All I would like to add is that we must remember that there are alot of people on the board that have been fishing a very long time, much longer than myself, who didnt have the "internet" through previous decades of fishing. They never had this medium back then. Lest we forget....

Old 05-05-2006, 01:06 AM

Thanks for the great post Jim. You know I'm 65 years old and have NEVER asked another to share the location of a favored spot or technique. For some reason it simply seemed inpolite and boorish to do so. Over time I suppose I've learned of a few but then by job would take me overseas for a few years and when I returned home, I'd have to start over again. (sigh.)

Oh I've learned some from others with whom I've fished but those spots were *ours* and I would never think of sharing them out; not because of me or out of selfishness but becuase it would have been disresspecting the person who shared that location with me.

One of the reasons I really prefer surf fishing is the solitude of it; one person against the striper in an environment where all the advantages are with the Striper I suppose.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:42 AM
First Mate

Well, not big on lurking, which is why I registered here.

Just having my frist look around and stumbled on this thread. Seems pretty level headed, well said, and straight forward.

Something that I would say is that while tactics are not Universal, they are far more productive than exact locations on any given day. The short sightedness of looking to poach a hole or other spot is something a newbie to fishing may not get.

Anyway, off to look around some more.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:55 AM
Lunker

Old 05-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Pro Staff

Welcome to the site Joe! Glad ta have ya!!
Old 05-06-2006, 10:39 PM

Jim --

The following is my response to those internet heros that terrorisze the chat rooms and message boards. But Nowadays I seldom frequent them.

Begin a paraphrase of a recent post I wrote on the insults and personal attacks on one such board. It's PG rated.....

Recently I was entertained by the flurry of personal attacks and insults peppering the various OT threads some of them directed against moi; generally because they were overused and hackneyed, simplistic and unimaginative such as * Don't Let the door hit you in the ass leaving the room; * responding to a post as being silly simply because it expressed a view at some difference with the poster's etc.

With the thought of generally elevating the quality of attacks and insults I have compiled the following. Please use it freely. It is ony a beginning as the internet is replete with rather creative URLS with insult generators.

BEGIN -

--Some day you will find yourself - and wish you hadn't;
--I used to think that you were a big pain in the neck. Now I have a much lower opinion of you;
--You should do some soul-searching. Maybe you'll find one;
--You have the warm personal charm of a millipede;
--.Your family tree is nothing but a rest stop for dogs;
--If assholes could fly, this place would be an airport;
--The wheel is turning but the hamster is definitely dead.

-- Just when I think, "Surely this person has reached and encapsulates the limits of Internet tedium" you go and push the boundary even further. Dullard, do yourself and everyone else a favor: disconnect your computer from the Internet.

--Sorry. I don't speak retardese. Can you get someone to translate into meaningful English before you post, please? Rumor has it that you are almost incomprehensible in person (as revealed by your desperate urge to babble nonsensically on message boards.) No doubt, this rumor is true.

--Your post is the world's greatest proof of reincarnation; no one could get that dumb in just one lifetime. Your post is an orgy of stultifying cacophonous verbal depravity; an exercise in literary impotence, and an offense to all of good taste and decency.

--You have that certain nothing. Truly, you are about as interesting as watching a slug move slowly across a large rock. You are the kind of person who, when one first meets you, one doesn't like you. But when one gets to know you better, one hates you. Maybe you wouldn't come across as such a jellyfish-sucking mental midget if you weren't so dumb that even blondes tell jokes about you; if your weren't so fat that buildings bounce when you haul your Sumo Wrestler mass down the street, or if you didn't have a face that makes people ask: "Damn, is it Halloween already?" Who am I kidding? You would.

--In closing, why don't you put your glasses on backwards and walk into yourself?

--It sounds like English; it even looks like English, but I can't understand a word you're blabbering. How about putting that into proper syntax, form, and grammar so that I can at least understand what you | are saying before I dismiss it?

--Your message board incompetence is an inspiration to botched lobotomy | patients everywhere. Just as the strength of a solitary brick will not | save a poorly built structure, your bold typeface does not redeem your | craven incoherent words.

--It seems your fingers not only did your typing, but did your thinking too. Have you considered suing your brain for non-support? Clearly, the full area of your ignorance is not yet mapped. We are presently only | exploring the fringes of that vast expanse. Well, you're certainly thoughtless; I just wish that you were keyboard-less, too. As Ellen
Glasgow once remarked: "He knows so little and knows it so fluently."

Then there's some wonderful Shakespearean ones vis - oh I'll let you look them up.

By the way PLONK seems to be the sound of a turd hitting the water in the toilet bowl. Apparently it is the sound and process so cherished by the narrow and closed minded.

I hope some enjoy reading this brief list as much as I did researching it. <grin>
Old 05-06-2006, 11:12 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Nice work David!!!

Old 05-07-2006, 12:39 AM

Nice post Jim

I joined this board over a year ago and look in pretty often. I usually only post when I have something to say that has not been said by someone else in the same thread.

Willing to help, willing to learn, but mostly I come to this board because it is so level headed and seems to be full of guys that I would be talking to on a boat or in a bar if we were together.

There are some great fishermen on this board, but maybe they are just great guys that happen to fish.

Keep up the good work.