boga grips - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 10-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Veteran

Default boga grips

Did anyone see the Boga grips on e-bay . They sell for about $25.00 They have two sizes, the 60lb size looks good for stripers. Has anyone bought them. cheep / could rust. ???? Did anyone buy any? what do you think :?: :(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 12:31 PM

I hear good things about them.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:36 PM

Default I dont use 1

I dont use 1 . Lots of guys do. Bit of controversy about whether they are detrimental or not. Suppossedly they put too much stress and pressure on the jaw of a fish. I usually grab em by hand and support them below the belly towards the anal fin for support. Hanging em straight down off of a gripper seems a bit harsh. Although I still hang em on a digital to weigh em sometimes, same thing? My digital doesnt go above 50. The proper way to weigh em is on a flat scale but not very practical shipboard. I suppose the boga is the tool to grab and weigh em. Ive released almost all my bass unharmed. Killed a few blues though. No way im puttin my hands near those teeth. $25 bucks seems like a cheap one. A good one runs for 75 to 95 . Theyre are cheaper ones but I dont think they are bogas. n let me know if they are . The price is right. 8)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 01:54 PM
Jigologist

a true bogagrip for 25 bucks is a steal..

make sure it's not the berkley brand, cuz you can get them a wmart for 29 and save shipping charges...

I use 'em quite a bit .. for bottom-hooked bass at night they are priceless (and painless) or if your using multi-trebled plugs..; or catching blues..
Old 10-16-2004, 02:15 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I've had a boga and a berkley lip grip (no scale in it). THey are great, specially when working structure, its nice to have a little extra "arm". I have had both the boga and berkley "slip" before, and fish drop back into the water or on the ground. Sucks, but it happens every so often. I now use a 60# Rapala Lock N Weigh, and have yet to have a slip. The "jaws" of the tool are different than that of the other lip grips, and can hold more securely. I have also read that holding the fish (especially heavier ones) using a lip grip tool for extended periods of time is very stressful on the fish. Obviously the pressure of the water isnt surrounding the fish, so it can have an effect. One thing I try to do everytime now that I didnt often do before is try to hold the bottom of the fish up when "lipping" the fish with a tool. I try not to let the fish "hang". 'Specially those porkers ;)

The only complaint I ever had with the Boga and Rapala tools is that its hard to read the scale at night lol.

Old 10-16-2004, 02:25 PM
Veteran

Default boga grip

I,m sure it is after market, like you said the good ones go for about $100.00 good or bad. I was wondering if anybody bought any.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:37 PM

i got one did not like it its cheep and it slipped, going to get a better one
Old 04-08-2005, 11:19 PM

I lip all Bass...the only time I LOVE the boga is when you're into Blues...I'm sure many a' finger have been saved by Bogas...

I think they are a really great way to handle toothy critters without harming you or the fish...

Blues are never more than 10 max... so I don't think it will hurt them too bad...but I'll keep a big Blue here or there, so at that point I couldn't care less...

I never had one slip before...but I only use it on Blues so I guess that doesn't count....
Old 04-08-2005, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBoy

Blues are never more than 10 max...
Nevah more than 10 pounds???

Old 04-08-2005, 11:59 PM

Not where I catch em'...

I know they get to be 15 or 20...but I ain't never seen one....
Old 04-09-2005, 12:04 AM

Dayum. I know wheya there is some beefy bastids So if ya evah up this way, lemme know. Just bring a Gags Bluefish Bomb....blue/white, hunter orange, or chrome will work just beautiful. I nevah caught a 20 pound Blue yet myself, but plenty in tha teens. Someday I hope to tangle with a 25'r LOL 8)

Old 04-09-2005, 08:19 AM

Default We got a Boga haven't used it yet

I got a Boga on the boat but haven't used it yet, look forward to putting it to the test.

As far as blues my son and I are only keeping monster fish this year since we are trying to get into the top 3 of species in our club... blues we need to be around 12.5 and 14.5 to be even close... we're going to try like heck..... For bass we'll need Briggs to show us how it's done lol
The Boga will come in handy for those blues thats for sure
Old 04-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Lunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBoy
Blues are never more than 10 max...
I got a 21 lb 11oz Blue right off of Marshfield in 2000. Lots of 15-20's over the years too.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:59 PM

holy crap.... that must have fought like a devil :twisted: :twisted:
Old 04-09-2005, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper777
holy crap.... that must have fought like a devil :twisted: :twisted:
Yeah I bet lol. The ones I've caught in the Kennebec werent even 20 lb's, and they took us on a DEMON hell ride. They were rabid!

I dont think (IMO) that a Boga puts serious stress on a fish unless your letting it hang, without any support underneath. A fish out of water, especially the large fish, are under some stress anyway because they dont have the pressure of water upon their bodies. But properly using a Boga type tool wont beat the fish up too bad I dont think. Large Stripers have very, very tough mouths. But letting fish hang from it for extended periods of time is definitely abuse in my opinion.

in the end, I would much rather see someone properly use a Boga tool as opposed to seeing them kick the fish back into the water.