line... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:11 PM
First Mate

Default line...

im going with 40lb power pro, i donno if i need a shock leader, but im getting 30lb flouro leader...maybe ill pick up some hooks, 4/0...going in an hour...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 04:44 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I like a 6' length of 40 mono/shocker and an 18" 30 lb floro leader
Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus
I like a 6' length of 40 mono/shocker and an 18" 30 lb floro leader
alrighty, its going on...thanks man, i was waiting for u to make sure i didnt go out and buy something i didnt need, u have been such a helpfull person. thanks a lot..o yeah...i really didnt get what u meant about if the eels go on the bottom, or just reel them in, cause in one of ur posts it says bottom, and one said just reel i believe, i was confused so i just figured id ask to get a direct answer ya no...thanks a bunch man, i will have to take u out to dinner one of these days
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 05:16 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

When you tie on the "shocker" use an allbright knot, I like to coat mine with a thin layer of plyobond, it is a water proof contact cement... there are other brands that are just as good..

In shallows and along rocks and jetties I like to cast and retrieve the eels..S-L-O-W-L-Y.... I hold my rod tip between 12-1:00 when I feel a bump I drop the rod to 3:00 straight in front of me, when the line come tight NAIL 'EM! it takes practice... lots of practice, it is almost an instinct for me...

when drifting the mouth or the deep water in the badgers I let the eels swim to the bottom, you want a lively eel for this,one note though, during large tides like we have now, I have been known to add a small rubber core sinker to the leader to get the eel into the "danger zone" before I drift by it..... when drifting I tend to fish with an open bail and "educated" finger, I give 'em about three seconds before I nail 'em, if it's a good one she'll have it, if it's a schoolie you will probably miss....
Old 09-20-2005, 06:32 PM
First Mate

cool, thanks a lot man...i got gamakatsu 4/0, small hooks huh....the guy at petes said it was freshwater stuff, looked at me funny...haha...i got 50lb spiderwire, they didnt have powerpro so i went up to walmart at picked up that stuff...shouldnt be to bad, where can i pick up that adhesive stuff? hardware store?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Hook size.... always use the SMALLEST you can get away with.... it takes ALOT harder hook set to sink a 6/0 or 7/0 , I used 1/0 for years..... FYI... my 61 lber was landed with a 1/0 eagle claw hook, the size of the bait dictates how big of a hook I use..... I get a lot of fish hooke in the roof of the mouth or in the jaw bone, people that use tuna sized hooks miss or drop those fish....

As an aside, smaller hooks do less damage to the fish, should you have to leave one in a fish, the small hook is less obtrusive and rusts out quicker....
Old 09-21-2005, 03:37 PM
First Mate

its always good to think of the fish, im glad i got the 4/0 but like i said the guy like laughed at me...haha....o well...id rather take ur advice than a guy that sits in his shop all day(petes gun and tackle)