Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

CTFisherman.com bytes the dust???

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  zimno1 
#1 ·
For all you paying members of CTfisherman.com the site (well the domain name anyway) now appears to be owned by Cabela's_ Nice... Good thing we all paid our 'dues'.

#3 ·
A little too soon to tell if it will get better or worse. I can only assume that they bought out the current owner. Either that or he works for them now but I'd be willing to bet it was a buy out.
The site is successful in part because the current owner put in the time and effort to add new things from time to time and also listen to the user base on what worked and what didn't. The other big factor in the success was the number of contributers that are in the fishing business in one form or another. Guides, tackle shops, bait shops, DEP people and just a large base of really wacked out fishermen. The small local bait & tackle shops contributed in a HUGE way. Not just with sponsorship but using the site as the major method of getting their activities out to a large number of serious fishermen. Seminars, demos, clearance, used stuff, guide services, plus for the guides it was a great way to keep their name in front of a lot of potential customers. As a guide, if you are posting reports with pictures over and over every week that is about the cheapest and most effective advertising you could ever do.
Sooo... The big question I have is what becomes of all that local merchant support once the 'big store' has the wheel? My guess is the environment will change significantly for those guys.

Oh Oh Oh... WAIT a minute!!! It's APRIL 1st!! That sleaze ball!! He got me!! ARG! I'm an April fool_ Jheez.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.