Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

another bites the dust

Tags
bites dust
4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  treedude363 
#1 ·
I was fishing 41 feet water down by the barges close to revena got a runn he went deep I was using a uglystick big water with a Daiwa Regal Bite and Run Saltwater Spinning Fishing Reel 20 to 25 minutes later still could not see how big ore what it was screwed up the gears and bent the shaft that holds the spool the drag was set right just not strong enough I guess so im going to invest in a shimano thunnus be well worth it maybe overkill but hey big one hits im ready oh and he didn't brake the line he broke the circle hook

#2 ·
I think the last 2 years there has been a bad batch of metal for hooks....I have a pile of broken hooks on big fish. Interesting.....when I put my newer hooks in a vice and bend them they snap..............my older hooks just bend and don't break.

#4 ·
You could save $100 and go with the D series. They're a bit heavier, but I prefer the housing quality.

Demon perfect circles all the way. Never an issue and they're endorsed by the BFF.

#7 ·
Definitely not a drag problem................I keep my drag set very light about 5-6 lbs. I tested both new hooks and my old ones..............the new ones are briddle and break whereas the old ones bent. How old are your hooks ?? If they were purchased before last year then they are the better metal.

#11 ·
Definitely sounds like faulty hooks. Even if drag was to tight there's no way a 7/0 hook should fail before 20-30lb line or anything 5/0 or larger. Also any hook failing I've hat has always resulted in a bent hook, they should not be breaking. Gamakatsu has always been very good with customer feed back to make new products or improve old one. DOC, I'm sure if you had that pile of broken hooks and explained the situation, they'd probably make it right. Worth a try at least although no amount of reembersment makes up for losing all the biggest fish to hit your bait

#14 ·
[all I know I am a tree guy im pretty strong im 5 foot 9,,, 240 pds this thing tossed me around like I was a ballerina turned my boat up stream 17 foot SYLVAN with a 90 MERC I have brought in a 40 incher noway this was that smalloh well he lives to swim another day just think next year he be bigger :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.