Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Bait Casting reels.?. Any tips? Aqueduct Fisherman?

12K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  cansel 
#1 ·
I have lived in Palmdale, California - for most of my 33years. In that time - I have fished pretty much all bodies of water within the Antelope Valley. My favorite is: The Aqueduct. Which has produced good sized fish; Stripe Bass, Channel Catfish, and Bullhead Cats. All were over two pounds...
Just recently, I have been fishing with my baitcasting reels: Which arent the easiest of reels to fish with... I know two things; 1) Keep your thumb on the spool as the line pays-out. 2) The wieght of the lure/bait should slowly ( under its own wieght and through gravity) pull line and fall to the ground if held horizontal. That is the ideal drag setting for casting.?. I am definitely not grasping the concept, because every cast is producing "birds-nest" entanglement at the spool... My casts also seem to diminish in distance. I have lost some good lures on my release cast, because the line seems to become so entangled that it just snaps from the lures weight on my cast... Can anyone help me with a few pointers? Also, I have read about using a shock liter... Should I be using a shock liter when fishing lures, ie; swim baits, top-water lures, etc.?. Should I be using this in the aqueduct? What bait set-ups have worked for you in the Aqueduct? Is your wieght tied to the end of the line with multiple hooks spaced 12-18 inches apart, or vice versa? Or do you fish different set-ups depending on the current? I know these are some things to consider but I want to know what seems to work best for you? Thanks for your time. Sorry there are multiple questions - in numerous areas in this thread... Im a new guy. :whistle:

See less See more
#2 ·
:welcomeaboard:

First, what reel? Type of line?
Try short cast first, with mono. And, when your weight/plug hits the water stop the spool with your thumb. Some will say heavy oil on the bearings, if that works, go for it. But I always use my thumb.
Practice is the key. thumbsup.gif

#3 ·
There are a lot of ways to slow and control the speed of a reel.
The easiest and most common is using a thicker oil in the bearings.
You can add magnetic contol if the spool is metal
With some reels you can even change to lighter spools that don't carry as much inertia.

You might just have a crap reel or a reel made for boat fishing where you just drop a weight straight down.

We need a little more info before we can answer your questions.

#4 ·
Hi Makasin great advice from our resident gurus.

Heres an old thread that may be of some assistance to you.
Its called baitcasters and backlashes with a link to a beginners tutorial.
I found it to be extremely helpful. And the thread has some terrific feedback.

http://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/showthread.php?t=7954

#5 ·
One more question, my friend. What are you throwing? You might be using a bait way too light. Conventional casters work well with weights over say, the one to two oz range. If your using super light stuff, to cast, than a conventional will not work well. Just a thought.thumbsup.gif

#6 ·
Thanks for all your advice, and sorry about the lack of information. I am new to forums; posting, chatting, and the etiquette. Bare with me; I am also a "self-taught fisherman." So, if my questions are basic-forgive me, because I am...
Lures, that I use are; Castaic Swim Baits (trout), approx. 8in; Topwater - 2-8 inch lures; Shallow diving/Deep diving 2-8inches rapalas; Mainly for the large castaic swim bait. 12-16oz. lures... My reason for wanting to fish with a bait casting type reel.
The Landlocked bass at Lake Castaic(California), have an appetite for rainbow trout. Which is stocked on a monthly basis. The swim baits are large and heavy. I am using a shimano durango baitcasting reel. The spool is aluminum. I had 10lbs test; P-line; strung by Sport Chalet, thinking that might "help" - if done - "professionally.?." The rod is ten foot glass with Heavy action made by Bass Pro Shops...
I should of had a heavier Lbs Test put onto the reel, and lost a forty dallor swim bait... On about my tenth cast; The line tangled (birds nest), and from the wieght of the lure "snapped" at the spool. From what I understand; the spool pays-out line faster than the lure is traveling. Which causes the line to entangle.?. Well, thats where the line broke, at the spool.
I want to cast those swim baits with confidence. Fishing from the shore line - the lure has to go atleast fifty to hundred feet to be effective... What size line do you recommend? Shock
leader?

#9 ·
12-16oz. lures... My reason for wanting to fish with a bait casting type reel.
Holy CRAP, I don't fish lures that big for 40 lb fish ! I can understand the need for a bait casting setup.

I am using a shimano durango baitcasting reel.
Not familiar with it but from the picture I found it looks like a decent reel (depending on line capacity)

I had 10lbs test; P-line;
With a one pound lure !!! WAY, WAY too light. I wouldn't use anything less then a high quality 17# line with a 30# shock leader long enough to wrap at least 3 times around the spool

The rod is ten foot glass with Heavy action made by Bass Pro Shops...
Heavy action - this could be your problem. Pool que ??

I should of had a heavier Lbs Test put onto the reel, and lost a forty dallor swim bait...
Yup

From what I understand; the spool pays-out line faster than the lure is traveling.
That's called fluffing, it happens often. The trick is to be able to slow the spool when it begins happening but not kill the cast. It takes practice. Once your thumb becomes experienced a bit of fluffing will rarely become a backlash.

the lure has to go atleast fifty to hundred feet to be effective... What size line do you recommend?
See above

Shock leader?
See above

With the heavier line and leader you may have to go up a size to a different reel. I'd recommend you look into an Abu Garcia, either 5000 or 6000 round size.

#7 ·
That caitaic swimbait is 12 to 16 oz? Amazing they swim like the real thing.

Anyway I dunno what kind of reel , but usually you can adjust them so they don't spin too much. Generally, if you are going to plug there is no reason for a shock leader, but just a short top shot of 30# to 40# at the most. Try putting a bit more thumb pressure on the spool to see if that helps.

#8 ·
If this is the reel you're using you should be able to empty the spool with a 2 oz bait on a 10' rod.

Automotive lighting Rectangle Violet Liquid Automotive tire

The only thing I can think of that could be causing trouble is a rod that's too stiff. A cue stick rod, no matter how long, won't load properly and will be extremely difficult to cast.

In other words, the rod has to load (bend) during the cast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.